Four major banks to pay $30 million in refunds after ASIC review

When it comes to saving money, banks are the go-to place for everyone to secure hard-earned cash.

With many banks to choose from, everyone has the right to save money and access reliable banking services.

In a recent turn of events, four of Australia's major banks could return nearly $30 million to their customers following a damning review.

A report by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) shed light on the practices of ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, and the mid-tier Bendigo and Adelaide Bank.

The report, set to be released to the public, found that these institutions kept at least two million low-income customers in high-fee accounts.

The report also uncovered that these banks charged exorbitant fees to those reliant on Centrelink payments.

compressed-australian dollar.jpeg
Over 200,000 customers should see changes in their accounts after the ASIC report. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Wara1982

The review was part of ASIC's broader initiative aimed at improving financial services for First Nations customers, including avoidable bank fees.

ASIC commissioner Alan Kirkland highlighted the importance of this project.

'We focused in this project on the banks who were most likely to have First Nations consumers on low incomes trapped in high-fee accounts,' Mr Kirkland shared.

In response to the findings, the said banks pledged to take corrective action.

The four banks committed to transitioning more than 200,000 customers into low-fee or no-fee accounts, which could help banks save around $10.7 million annually.

Additionally, the banks would refund over $28 million in fees to affected customers within the next 12 to 18 months.

This initiative could cover about $24.6 million for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and apprentices receiving ABSTUDY payments.

It would also cover customers living in areas with substantial First Nations populations.

The review also brought to light the cumbersome processes customers had to endure to switch to low-fee accounts, as some travelled hundreds of kilometres to their bank's nearest branch.

'At any time, ASIC, and the community, expects that the banks will treat their customers fairly,' Mr Kirkland added.

ASIC's report has made it clear that the implications of these findings are not limited to the four banks in question but extend to all banking institutions across Australia.

'We're expecting all of them to read the report and make improvements to their practices to stop other people being trapped in high-fee accounts that they can't afford,' Mr Kirkland concluded.

This news may come as a shock, but it also serves as a reminder to review your bank accounts.

For low-income bank users or those receiving Centrelink payments under these banks, it's worth contacting your bank to see if you're eligible for a low-fee account.

If you have any concerns or questions about your banking arrangements, feel free to reach out to your bank or seek independent financial advice.
Key Takeaways

• Four major Australian banks could refund nearly $30 million to low-income customers following an ASIC review.
  • ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, and Bendigo and Adelaide Bank kept two million low-income customers—including many dependent on Centrelink payments—in high-fee accounts.
  • Over 200,000 customers will be moved to low-fee accounts, saving them approximately $10.7 million a year.
  • The banks will also refund over $28 million in fees to affected customers over the next 12 to 18 months, with a focus on First Nations communities.
What do you think of this ASIC report? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Seems straight forward enough.
From the article:
For low-income bank users or those receiving Centrelink payme these banks, it's worth contacting your bank to see if you're eligible for
So explain to me how this is relevant to the rest of the Australian population as it only focuses on ATSI peoples ...why only ONE group...why not ALL??

So explain to me how this is relevant to the rest of the Australian population as it only focuses on ATSI peoples ...why only ONE group...why not ALL??
@ siameezer if you are that easily offended it's time you grew up!

@ siameezer if you are that easily offended it's time you grew up!
If you are going to attack anyone, it should be directed at me. I am the one most repulsed by the selfish, greedy comments reflecting the usual - ‘why do they get privilege’. It could possibly be because they have taken advantage of the ‘most disadvantaged’ people, who don’t know their way around the banking system - unlike the whiners here who would stand over anyone to get their extra pennies first!

I couldn't understand what they were trying to say.

This may not help as I'm not 100% certain. I don't think it was about the article directly. Rather it seem to be a message about the difficulty of contacting a bank and the time it takes to talk to anyone.

Person said
"what stirs me all banks instutions and the likes when you phone them your in thefarque so pres 1 or2or3 or git the apps its not any quper any"

When you phone, you are put in the farque (as opposed to the near queue) farque is also a play on of that most common obscenity that adds in a you at the end. (if you pardon me for pointing it out).😉

It also includes what one has to do to get to the right place when phoning. Eg use keypad to press 1 for a complaint or 2 for advice or....

It's not any quicker with the app.

I only think that is what the person is trying to say.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
This may not help as I'm not 100% certain. I don't think it was about the article directly. Rather it seem to be a message about the difficulty of contacting a bank and the time it takes to talk to anyone.

Person said
"what stirs me all banks instutions and the likes when you phone them your in thefarque so pres 1 or2or3 or git the apps its not any quper any"

When you phone, you are put in the farque (as opposed to the near queue) farque is also a play on of that most common obscenity that adds in a you at the end. (if you pardon me for pointing it out).😉

It also includes what one has to do to get to the right place when phoning. Eg use keypad to press 1 for a complaint or 2 for advice or....

Thanks for that,makes sense now👍

Reactions: Suzanne rose

Person said

corect

Reactions: JimmyFlatrock
The one thing that annoyed me was the ads kept moving the thing that I was reading, the page would go down some and you would have to scroll the page back up and find where you were up to other wise the info was good thank you

If you are going to attack anyone, it should be directed at me. I am the one most repulsed by the selfish, greedy comments reflecting the usual - ‘why do they get privilege’. It could possibly be because they have taken advantage of the ‘most disadvantaged’ people, who don’t know their way around the banking system - unlike the whiners here who would stand over anyone to get their extra pennies first!
Oh wow YOU ARE THE
PROBLEM..you are the reason these untouchables get everything they want, pity you are so blindsided by your own sense of importance that you cannot see the truth...the most disadvantaged.. let's talk about that..you realise 'the disadvantaged' only have to save $1000 to get a home loan?? And we on the other hand have to save at least $20,000 plus...You do know they are allowed to access government services, pensions etc at 50 while we wait til 67, you realise they get paid to send the children to school. You do understand about the Yes vote that got voted NO AND WHY IT DID?? because they already had over 5 billion dollars allocated and given to.them without one audit! Oh and the one I love welcome to the country...biggest made up lot of BS..so before you even start on me check your facts!! ...YEAH RIGHT being so disadvantaged..go preach elsewhere

Oh wow YOU ARE THE
PROBLEM..you are the reason these untouchables get everything they want, pity you are so blindsided by your own sense of importance that you cannot see the truth...the most disadvantaged.. let's talk about that..you realise 'the disadvantaged' only have to save $1000 to get a home loan?? And we on the other hand have to save at least $20,000 plus...You do know they are allowed to access government services, pensions etc at 50 while we wait til 67, you realise they get paid to send the children to school. You do understand about the Yes vote that got voted NO AND WHY IT DID?? because they already had over 5 billion dollars allocated and given to.them without one audit! Oh and the one I love welcome to the country...biggest made up lot of BS..so before you even start on me check your facts!! ...YEAH RIGHT being so disadvantaged..go preach elsewhere
LOL...have a valium and go lay down - you sound like a banshee!