Four major banks to pay $30 million in refunds after ASIC review

When it comes to saving money, banks are the go-to place for everyone to secure hard-earned cash.

With many banks to choose from, everyone has the right to save money and access reliable banking services.

In a recent turn of events, four of Australia's major banks could return nearly $30 million to their customers following a damning review.

A report by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) shed light on the practices of ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, and the mid-tier Bendigo and Adelaide Bank.

The report, set to be released to the public, found that these institutions kept at least two million low-income customers in high-fee accounts.

The report also uncovered that these banks charged exorbitant fees to those reliant on Centrelink payments.

compressed-australian dollar.jpeg
Over 200,000 customers should see changes in their accounts after the ASIC report. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Wara1982

The review was part of ASIC's broader initiative aimed at improving financial services for First Nations customers, including avoidable bank fees.

ASIC commissioner Alan Kirkland highlighted the importance of this project.

'We focused in this project on the banks who were most likely to have First Nations consumers on low incomes trapped in high-fee accounts,' Mr Kirkland shared.

In response to the findings, the said banks pledged to take corrective action.

The four banks committed to transitioning more than 200,000 customers into low-fee or no-fee accounts, which could help banks save around $10.7 million annually.

Additionally, the banks would refund over $28 million in fees to affected customers within the next 12 to 18 months.

This initiative could cover about $24.6 million for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and apprentices receiving ABSTUDY payments.

It would also cover customers living in areas with substantial First Nations populations.

The review also brought to light the cumbersome processes customers had to endure to switch to low-fee accounts, as some travelled hundreds of kilometres to their bank's nearest branch.

'At any time, ASIC, and the community, expects that the banks will treat their customers fairly,' Mr Kirkland added.

ASIC's report has made it clear that the implications of these findings are not limited to the four banks in question but extend to all banking institutions across Australia.

'We're expecting all of them to read the report and make improvements to their practices to stop other people being trapped in high-fee accounts that they can't afford,' Mr Kirkland concluded.

This news may come as a shock, but it also serves as a reminder to review your bank accounts.

For low-income bank users or those receiving Centrelink payments under these banks, it's worth contacting your bank to see if you're eligible for a low-fee account.

If you have any concerns or questions about your banking arrangements, feel free to reach out to your bank or seek independent financial advice.
Key Takeaways

• Four major Australian banks could refund nearly $30 million to low-income customers following an ASIC review.
  • ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, and Bendigo and Adelaide Bank kept two million low-income customers—including many dependent on Centrelink payments—in high-fee accounts.
  • Over 200,000 customers will be moved to low-fee accounts, saving them approximately $10.7 million a year.
  • The banks will also refund over $28 million in fees to affected customers over the next 12 to 18 months, with a focus on First Nations communities.
What do you think of this ASIC report? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I agree with you totally .
We are too trusting,
We think they know what they
are doing
WRONG !!!
Take any means to rip us off, especially if you don't get caught.
And the gas companies my daughter lives on her own now- a widow with the children living their own lives - my bill for gas for one month is $221+ whereas hers is $54. She cooks with gas, I don't, nor do I use the gas heating costs too much; but I still have to have it for the hot water, she also has to have it for hot water but not heating.
When I complained they said that was the reading. I'm still arguing with them, they were so good before I moved here but now it's so frustrating.

Recently I got a refund from my bank of $400, through a class action lawsuit against them. I had a housing loan in the 90s, and evidently, they were charging useless fees. Have had at various other times letters from bank saying, "we have found a discrepancy with your fees; you have been overcharged" and small amounts i.e.: $30-$40 refunded. Also noted here, someone stated that Energy companies need to inform customers of better deals for their energy. The company we are with, LUMO does. Also gives tips on saving energy, I found one, which I am surprised at the price difference in our energy bill since lowering heating temperatures from 21oC to 18oC on our reverse cycle A/C. Down $50 to $80 a month.

Last edited:
Seems straight forward enough.
From the article:
For low-income bank users or those receiving Centrelink payments under these banks, it's worth contacting your bank to see if you're eligible for a low-fee account.

Reactions: siameezer
If banks are supposed to check their customers are on the best low fee account for them, then electricity companies should also advise their customers of the best tariff etc to be on. Particularly if you get solar installed.
They do, if you ask them.

Now they should be made to refund account keeping fees and transaction fees which are all managed be computers that don't get paid to do this work for the banks. Banks make enough money with credit card and load interest not to mention the fact that branches and staff have been made redundant saving them millions each year.

Reactions: Rob44
OMG! The money pot comes out and the chicken scratch in the hen house goes wild! What about me! Me first, me first! Watch out - you will get stomped on in the crush! LOL too funny.

...and by the welfare recipients that watch every penny and hold banks accountable ... go get your fair share and keep you manners in check!