Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Young Talent Time star Debra Byrne on the verge of homelessness, slams rental industry

When people hear the name Debra Byrne, the next thing that usually pops into their minds is Young Talent Time.

She was easily a pillar of the show, having been a founding member of its original iteration in 1971. But this same star is now facing a very different reality at the age of 66.

Recently, Debra took to social media to reveal that she, her grandchildren and daughter were facing homelessness in 60 days, no less. The reason? That Debra couldn't find a rental property as a pensioner.

‘I wasn’t always a pensioner, I was 50 plus and I still worked,’ she said.

‘As time went on it became more difficult to network to be part of the industry I had been part of since I was 10.’

‘Mary Poppins was the last musical where I could work for many months. Since then it’s been spasmodic work, so for years I have been on the carer pension.’

Continuing her emotional admission, she then turned her frustrations into something many Aussies can relate to.

'How dare the rental industry snub pensioners?' she stressed. ‘How dare they see us as incompetent of paying our rent.’

Screenshot 2023-08-07 145047.png
Debra Byrne, a former Young Talent Time star, is facing homelessness. Credit: YouTube/Scarlett Vespa

Debra outlined that she had always worked hard until that became physically unfeasible. But she did so while she cared for her grandsons and children, and the burden had taken a toll. Currently, Byrne’s grandson, Aaron, lives with her, as does her daughter Lucille.

d3e6185eede02296709e8f252294e29b77221cdf.jpg
Debra shared her plight on a social media post. Credit: Debra Anne Byrne/Facebook

Many people were shocked to hear about her situation, some wondering why she was on the verge of being homeless despite being a former star.

‘Sorry to hear this about Debbie and her family, but I would’ve thought the star that she is, she would have enough money to buy a place of her own,’ one user shared.

It must be remembered that while many of us can save money during our working lives, those on the pension are not typically able to do this and instead rely on the amount they are already given.

Thankfully, many of Debra’s fans have come to her aid and are doing their best to help her find a home. We here at SDC wish her the best in finding a new home.

Key Takeaways

• Debra Byrne, a former star of Young Talent Time, has shared that she and her family face homelessness.
  • Her situation has highlighted the struggles many pensioners face in the rental market after being snubbed by real estate agents due to her pensioner status.
  • Despite sporadic work, she has lived on the carer pension for years.
  • Fans of Byrne have been shocked by the news and are rallying to help.

It’s unfortunate to hear about people in heightened need as they enter their golden years, and we only hope stories like Debra’s will bring this issue to public attention. Many pensioners live in fear of homelessness, unable to get the security and peace of mind a recognisable, comfortable home can provide.

What are your thoughts on this, dear members? Tell us below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
she can go to govt housing for emergency they will try to get her a place, in 2009 I was homeless couldn't afford private rental so I went to Homeswest and I was lucky a lovely Lady said they had 1 bedroom sitter so i went to see it and it was ok nothing fancy,i took it, after 3 months i was sharing it with white ants they had a ball ,i stayed for 12 months there then i was told about Foundation Housing so I went and I was put on a list after 1 week they offered me 2 bedroom unit brand new with carpert and vertical blinds, been here 13.5 years. there is places that will help you ,need to ask for help
Unfortunately public housing has not kept up with demand and all states in Australia have major issues in providing accommodation. There are some cases where people have been given public housing when they really are not entitled to it but have somehow scammed the system (false income statements etc). This is particularly evident in the ACT where this type of misbehaviour was rampant. As to Debbie, well we all have done things in our past that we are not proud of, so please cut her some slack. She is right though about the ageism that is so commonplace these days - prevalent mainly in the 15 - 35 age range.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricki
Hey Ricki slow down. We had an investment property for ten years.
The last four years with a model Tennant, She was perfect.
Mrs "B" kept the unit as neat as a pin.
Our land agent kept telling me to increase the rent every year, when asked why, he said "BECAUSE THATS WHAT YOU DO".
We upped the rent by $5 per month to shut him up and never increased after that.
Mrs "B" moved out 4 years later with great sorrow because of family reasons.
We then decided to sell.
Rent = mortgage no more no less. She paid $400 monthly we paid $400 monthly to cut re-payment time in half. That was 2 years ago.
I wanted to adopt Mrs "B" as my grandmother, she was and is a wonderful lady.
REALTORS i WOULD NOT DEAL WITH AGAIN, BUT
NOT ALL LANDLORDS ARE RATBAGS!
I did say many owners , not all owners. But I stand my ground on ALL reactors. Tenants can be just as bad and I'm happy you had a good one.

Listen buddy, my sisters are plain stupid , I had for years had compassion and even paid for rehab

First sister hung around with the wrong people and the other one just plain stupid.
The plain stupid one went on to have 6 kids and all heroin babies, have you seen that and how heart breaking that was.

If you are on drugs you need to build up the will power to get off it and if not for you then for your kids, she had all of them taken off her and the eldest one died at the age of 12 while in foster care.

Do not tell me I don't have compassion.

You NEED TO SHOW RESPECT OR SHUT THE F..K UP

I don't owe you respect and I won't 'shut the f... up" as you so delightfully instructed-your ignorance about substance use disorder given what you've shared is shocking frankly.' Stupidity' is your explanation for drug dependance...???and yes, I do know quite a bit about heroin babies. So, because you forked out money for rehab, you believe you are the only person entitled to express an opinion? and if you're challenged- you feel it's ok to demand respect and tell others to shut up? I have some advice... go forth and multiply- Drug addiction or substance use disorder is not a simple little problem you would have others believe -and requires so much more than your quaint 'will power' . Your poor sisters- you're quite the martyr aren't you? Get off the cross-we need the wood!!!

I don't owe you respect and I won't 'shut the f... up" as you so delightfully instructed-your ignorance about substance use disorder given what you've shared is shocking frankly.' Stupidity' is your explanation for drug dependance...???and yes, I do know quite a bit about heroin babies. So, because you forked out money for rehab, you believe you are the only person entitled to express an opinion? and if you're challenged- you feel it's ok to demand respect and tell others to shut up? I have some advice... go forth and multiply- Drug addiction or substance use disorder is not a simple little problem you would have others believe -and requires so much more than your quaint 'will power' . Your poor sisters- you're quite the martyr aren't you? Get off the cross-we need the wood!!!
Well I don't know if to feel sorry for you or not.
Taking drugs is a choice.
I'm guessing you were one of those.
End of subject I don't need to take your abuse. Frankly you are all over the place, and not making sense

Reactions: Ezzy
Well I don't know if to feel sorry for you or not.
Taking drugs is a choice.
I'm guessing you were one of those.
End of subject I don't need to take your abuse. Frankly you are all over the place, and not making sense
1] let's break down what you've said to me-you've demanded I show you respect and told me to' shut the f up' but you now feel ' I am all over the place and don't make sense'- but I am abusing YOU?

I feel I am making quite a bit of sense and you disagree with my opinions and are behaving dreadfully.

2]so you translate my differing opinions, as 'abuse'?... Aren't you accustomed to people dealing with your bullying? And defending themselves? or never heard a difference of opinion?

You deem the discussion now over……,'end of subject'? =end of discussion…… because you can't keep up? well that's telling.....
3]you assume I was /am a drug addict? wow-I can see you like to make assumptions and then blurt them out-another comment of yours that speaks volumes about your character and they're not positive.

4]'taking drugs is a choice' huh-I see I am dealing with a member of Mensa....[ google it-you'll get the idea]……that, or you've worked as a public servant in the Dept. of Health since the 1980s and it's time to retire.

5] you're unsure whether to pity me or not huh? Save your pity for yourself sweetheart.... you've revealed you're an uneducated, ignorant, heartless human being.

1] let's break down what you've said to me-you've demanded I show you respect and told me to' shut the f up' but you now feel ' I am all over the place and don't make sense'- but I am abusing YOU?

I feel I am making quite a bit of sense and you disagree with my opinions and are behaving dreadfully.

2]so you translate my differing opinions, as 'abuse'?... Aren't you accustomed to people dealing with your bullying? And defending themselves? or never heard a difference of opinion?

You deem the discussion now over……,'end of subject'? =end of discussion…… because you can't keep up? well that's telling.....
3]you assume I was /am a drug addict? wow-I can see you like to make assumptions and then blurt them out-another comment of yours that speaks volumes about your character and they're not positive.

4]'taking drugs is a choice' huh-I see I am dealing with a member of Mensa....[ google it-you'll get the idea]……that, or you've worked as a public servant in the Dept. of Health since the 1980s and it's time to retire.

5] you're unsure whether to pity me or not huh? Save your pity for yourself sweetheart.... you've revealed you're an uneducated, ignorant, heartless human being.
I'm going to ignore you. You are what the internet call a troll.

You don't know me and to be honest I don't care what you think of me.

I know how much I help people and have helped people over the years.

Frankly you are not worth replying too.

If I see you being to anyone else I will however report you

Other than that you won't get another reply from me

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Da Freddo
Okay ladies,look at moi,look at moi. Suzanne Rose look at moi,Sue,SueWa,Wa look at moi,now ladies there's just one thing I want to say to the both of you. Oh by the way it's Kath Day Knight here,so look at moi,now I just want to say to you both "Everybody is entitled to their opinion"and I hear what the both of you are saying and there's good points in both of your conversations. So, C'mon dear ladies,let's just all respect each other and each other's opinions whether we agree or disagree in what the other person is saying. So ladies,look at moi,look at moi,now I've got to run,my spunk of a hunk hubby Kel Knight is waiting. 😉😄😊

Reactions: Littleboy8
Okay ladies,look at moi,look at moi. Suzanne Rose look at moi,Sue,SueWa,Wa look at moi,now ladies there's just one thing I want to say to the both of you. Oh by the way it's Kath Day Knight here,so look at moi,now I just want to say to you both "Everybody is entitled to their opinion"and I hear what the both of you are saying and there's good points in both of your conversations. So, C'mon dear ladies,let's just all respect each other and each other's opinions whether we agree or disagree in what the other person is saying. So ladies,look at moi,look at moi,now I've got to run,my spunk of a hunk hubby Kel Knight is waiting. 😉😄😊
Omg you are funny , I could actually hear Kath saying that. Thank you for making me laugh

Reactions: Littleboy8 and Ezzy
I left Facebook a couple of years ago because of this cat fighting going on and it seems this is no better here. Difference of opinions is fine but kindly take your private fight elsewhere. I quite enjoyed SDC until now. 😔

I left Facebook a couple of years ago because of this cat fighting going on and it seems this is no better here. Difference of opinions is fine but kindly take your private fight elsewhere. I quite enjoyed SDC until now. 😔
I totally agree and I need to learn not to bite back and just ignore

images.jpeg-31.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×