Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Young Talent Time star Debra Byrne on the verge of homelessness, slams rental industry

When people hear the name Debra Byrne, the next thing that usually pops into their minds is Young Talent Time.

She was easily a pillar of the show, having been a founding member of its original iteration in 1971. But this same star is now facing a very different reality at the age of 66.

Recently, Debra took to social media to reveal that she, her grandchildren and daughter were facing homelessness in 60 days, no less. The reason? That Debra couldn't find a rental property as a pensioner.

‘I wasn’t always a pensioner, I was 50 plus and I still worked,’ she said.

‘As time went on it became more difficult to network to be part of the industry I had been part of since I was 10.’

‘Mary Poppins was the last musical where I could work for many months. Since then it’s been spasmodic work, so for years I have been on the carer pension.’

Continuing her emotional admission, she then turned her frustrations into something many Aussies can relate to.

'How dare the rental industry snub pensioners?' she stressed. ‘How dare they see us as incompetent of paying our rent.’

Screenshot 2023-08-07 145047.png
Debra Byrne, a former Young Talent Time star, is facing homelessness. Credit: YouTube/Scarlett Vespa

Debra outlined that she had always worked hard until that became physically unfeasible. But she did so while she cared for her grandsons and children, and the burden had taken a toll. Currently, Byrne’s grandson, Aaron, lives with her, as does her daughter Lucille.

d3e6185eede02296709e8f252294e29b77221cdf.jpg
Debra shared her plight on a social media post. Credit: Debra Anne Byrne/Facebook

Many people were shocked to hear about her situation, some wondering why she was on the verge of being homeless despite being a former star.

‘Sorry to hear this about Debbie and her family, but I would’ve thought the star that she is, she would have enough money to buy a place of her own,’ one user shared.

It must be remembered that while many of us can save money during our working lives, those on the pension are not typically able to do this and instead rely on the amount they are already given.

Thankfully, many of Debra’s fans have come to her aid and are doing their best to help her find a home. We here at SDC wish her the best in finding a new home.

Key Takeaways

• Debra Byrne, a former star of Young Talent Time, has shared that she and her family face homelessness.
  • Her situation has highlighted the struggles many pensioners face in the rental market after being snubbed by real estate agents due to her pensioner status.
  • Despite sporadic work, she has lived on the carer pension for years.
  • Fans of Byrne have been shocked by the news and are rallying to help.

It’s unfortunate to hear about people in heightened need as they enter their golden years, and we only hope stories like Debra’s will bring this issue to public attention. Many pensioners live in fear of homelessness, unable to get the security and peace of mind a recognisable, comfortable home can provide.

What are your thoughts on this, dear members? Tell us below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I beg to differ- definition of the word 'smug' is self congratulatory.....when someone turns to drugs there are serious underlying problems so- you want to sit in judgment? Folk who point out the flaming obvious drive me nuts-of course buying a property when you are working makes sense! Life is never black and white... The housing system is broken....and often times so are people who turn to drugs.

Suzanne Rose, be more smug???
Read what Suzanne wrote that is not smug,
buying a property while you are working makes sense, DRUGS make no sense!!
Did you buy while solvent, or spend on drugs?
Debbie earned a fair quid in the early years where has it gone ??
Could it be "up in smoke ?? or up the vein only she knows!
If you want to do drugs {YOUR PROBLEM} it will come back to bite you.
To blame others or the system is just not cricket!!!
suesuewawa said .... you got the wrong end of the stick here @Da Freddo .. suesuewawa wasn't talking about suzanne rose ...... lmaooooooo :D :D

disagreeing with you is not attacking you-
Da Feddo don't you dare be so patronising- because my opinion differs from yours- you think I don't know what I'm talking about? My deepest apologies for expressing an alternate view and calling out ignorance and rubbish when I read it. Why on earth did I imagine little ole' me had a right to say what I thought and call out judgmental voices on this site! Don't you have any empathy

I beg to differ- definition of the word 'smug' is self congratulatory.....when someone turns to drugs there are serious underlying problems so- you want to sit in judgment? Folk who point out the flaming obvious drive me nuts-of course buying a property when you are working makes sense! Life is never black and white... The housing system is broken....and often times so are people who turn to drugs.
I know of people who tried drugs just to see what they are like and became hooked.
What was the underlying reasons for their dependency "PLEASE EXPLAIN and enlighten us all!

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I know of people who tried drugs just to see what they are like and became hooked.
What was the underlying reasons for their dependency "PLEASE EXPLAIN and enlighten us all!
One of my sisters was a heroin addict , still is. Another sister who was 22 at the time and 1 year older than other sister asked her what she saw in it and why couldn't she stop. She then said I will do it once just to show you and that i ce got her hooked, she is now 56 and still a junkie as is my 55 year old sister. I'm 61 and look 30 years younger than both of them

One of my sisters was a heroin addict , still is. Another sister who was 22 at the time and 1 year older than other sister asked her what she saw in it and why couldn't she stop. She then said I will do it once just to show you and that i ce got her hooked, she is now 56 and still a junkie as is my 55 year old sister. I'm 61 and look 30 years younger than both of them

I forget I live in a bubble until I strike morons .... you're congratulating yourself because you believe you look younger than your sisters because they're drug addicts!!! have you ever wondered why they needed to be numb on drugs to get through the day? no-you're not a reflective person are you? or person with compassion or empathy? dig a little deeper ...you might discover what actually is the reason your sisters are unwell, why they're in so much pain that they need to take this path. As opposed to admiring your own reflection in the mirror and comparing what you see- as opposed how drugs have ravaged your dear sisters' appearance.

Reactions: Nana Zorak
My carer & I will be in the same situation come November as our landlord is planning to develop more quickly than first thought, secretly I think it is because Jaz has been pushing for a fence as we were promised when we moved in 15 years ago the house & land were advertised as dog proof. But once the council found out that part of the fencing was Golden Cane Palm Bamboo which is classed as a noxious weed & it had to be removed & nothing was put in to replace it. We got a dog Ninja as an assistance dog for Artie when she was going through a rough patch. When Ninja died of cancer we decided not to get another dog but Artie changed her mind & they looked at rescue dogs from NSW. Artie & her dad Jaz chose one each. Hence the two watchdogs we now have. As the boy gets out at night Jaz has been jumping up & down about having a dog-proof fence put up. Then last Friday we had an e-mail telling us that no fence would be built as the landlord had decided to turf us out at the end of our lease. Jaz is convinced that it is to up the rent & again rerent it to someone else as we have had 2 rent raises this year. We will push the envelope to stay on as long as we can no matter what it takes.

Last edited:
I forget I live in a bubble until I strike morons .... you're congratulating yourself because you believe you look younger than your sisters because they're drug addicts!!! have you ever wondered why they needed to be numb on drugs to get through the day? no-you're not a reflective person are you? or person with compassion or empathy? dig a little deeper ...you might discover what actually is the reason your sisters are unwell, why they're in so much pain that they need to take this path. As opposed to admiring your own reflection in the mirror and comparing what you see- as opposed how drugs have ravaged your dear sisters' appearance.
Listen buddy, my sisters are plain stupid , I had for years had compassion and even paid for rehab

First sister hung around with the wrong people and the other one just plain stupid.
The plain stupid one went on to have 6 kids and all heroin babies, have you seen that and how heart breaking that was.

If you are on drugs you need to build up the will power to get off it and if not for you then for your kids, she had all of them taken off her and the eldest one died at the age of 12 while in foster care.

Do not tell me I don't have compassion.

You NEED TO SHOW RESPECT OR SHUT THE F..K UP

STILL WAITING FOR THE PLEASE EXPLAIN
WAITING WAITING WAITING...

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Listen buddy, my sisters are plain stupid , I had for years had compassion and even paid for rehab

First sister hung around with the wrong people and the other one just plain stupid.
The plain stupid one went on to have 6 kids and all heroin babies, have you seen that and how heart breaking that was.

If you are on drugs you need to build up the will power to get off it and if not for you then for your kids, she had all of them taken off her and the eldest one died at the age of 12 while in foster care.

Do not tell me I don't have compassion.

You NEED TO SHOW RESPECT OR SHUT THE F..K UP
HEAR HEAR , BRAVO MY LADY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×