Former TV star Andrew O’Keefe responds to drug-driving allegations with a plea

Content Warning: This article contains topics involving the use of illicit drugs. Reader discretion is advised.

We’ve all heard about the wild antics of celebrities, and it is often we hear of it spilling over into breaking the law.

This is exactly what former Seven TV host Andrew O’Keefe faces today after pleading guilty to drug-driving charges.

The former television personality was scheduled for a court hearing but entered his plea early, avoiding another day in the public eye.

The incident that led to the charge occurred in January in the affluent Sydney suburb of Point Piper.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 8.19.58 AM.png
Andrew O’Keefe pleaded guilty to a drug driving charge against him. Credit: 7news

O’Keefe was pulled over for a routine roadside test, which led to a secondary saliva test and the subsequent suspension of his driving licence.

The results of the saliva test returned positive for an illicit substance, leading to O’Keefe being charged in April with driving a vehicle under the influence of drugs.

The 52-year-old's lawyer, Sharon Ramsden, entered the guilty plea on his behalf in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on Tuesday.

O’Keefe, who has been a household name in Australia for years, has been on a 'sincere endeavour' to abstain from drugs since being granted bail in August following a breach of the conditions of his earlier release on other charges.

‘That treatment is ongoing by both his treating psychologist and psychiatrist,’ Ramsden said. O’Keefe was present in court, observing the proceedings.

Magistrate Miranda Moody noted that O’Keefe's driving was not what initially attracted police attention. However, his driving history did not assist him in this case.

'He has clearly had some issues with illicit drug use,' she said.

Despite his past, O’Keefe was granted a conditional release order, essentially a good behaviour bond, for 12 months.

This was due to no 'live offending' and evidence that he had successfully been abstaining from drugs.

The former Deal or No Deal and The Chase host started facing troubles in January 2022, when he was accused of domestic violence towards a 38-year-old woman, for which he spent four months in prison.

He was also arrested in November 2022 for allegedly breaching bail conditions by failing a drug test weeks after completing rehab.

In August 2023, O’Keefe was arrested and charged for breaching a restraining order. He was taken to the Waverly Police Station and was charged with one count of contravening a restriction/prohibition of an apprehended violence order (AVO).
Key Takeaways
  • Former Seven TV host Andrew O’Keefe has pleaded guilty to drug driving and his licence was suspended.
  • O’Keefe was charged in April after a saliva sample taken during a roadside test in Sydney returned a positive result for an illicit drug.
  • Sharon Ramsden, O’Keefe's lawyer, entered a guilty plea on his behalf. She stated that O’Keefe is undergoing treatment and has been refraining from drug use.
  • Despite his history of drug use, Magistrate Miranda Moody granted O’Keefe a 12-month conditional release order due to a lack of 'live offending' and evidence of him successfully abstaining from drugs.
What are your thoughts on this situation, members? How do you think this will impact O’Keefe's career? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Aww! Thanks! I had a great education in one of most roughest suburbs in Sydney during the 1960s through to the 1990s. My parents instilled a quest for knowledge in me of which I'm eternally grateful for.
As a kid, if I asked my mum what a word meant, she’d just say, “Look it up”. One day someone had decided to use large rocks on a hillside that spelt out C*nt City. I asked mum what it meant. She wouldn’t answer me. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
As a kid, if I asked my mum what a word meant, she’d just say, “Look it up”. One day someone had decided to use large rocks on a hillside that spelt out C*nt City. I asked mum what it meant. She wouldn’t answer me. 🤷🏼‍♀️
WHAT!!! I asked Mum the same question when I was about 8. She told me to never say that word again.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM
The only time I swore in front of my parents was when they bought a brand new Westinghouse fridge as a 14 year old. While inspecting it, I jammed my fingers in the freezer door. I screamed out, a bit theatrically of course, and yelled "I got my sting..ers fucked!"

Talk about the classic Spoonerism!

• Wow
Does locking someone up fix the problem?
I don't condone what he has been accused of, but I think he could have a mental health issue, that has not been addressed. He seems a little (for want of a better word) grandiose to me.
He has got mental issues.... irreversible ones....

mental health is not a issue. it is a cop out.
I'm sorry we don't agree, but I believe mental health issues are the same as any other health issue.
Locking someone with mental health in an ordinary jail won't improve him. He will be released with the same behavior. Possibly worse.
Wouldn't it be better to give him some treatment. As I said I don't condone his behavior, but if the taxpayer is going to be funding his future, at least make it worthwhile.
By the way, I think his mental health is possibly self-inflicted by drug and alcohol abuse.