Former ALDI worker reveals the real reason why staff scan your groceries so quickly

Do you ever find yourself feeling rushed at the checkout at ALDI? It turns out there’s a secret reason behind why the staff scan your groceries so quickly!

A former ALDI employee has revealed the real reason why staff scan groceries at lightning speed and gave advice for getting through the register hassle-free.

A couple of years ago, ALDI introduced self-serve checkouts to their stores in Australia, a move that has sparked a lot of debate among shoppers.

During a discussion about the supermarket’s self-serve checkouts, in the popular social media forum Reddit, a former ALDI employee revealed the real reason why the staff scan groceries so quickly at the registers.

ALDI1.jpg
ALDI rolled out their self-serve registers across the country in 2021. Credit: ALDI

The discussion started when a Victorian customer posted a photo of the new customer-operated checkouts at their local store.

A lot of people are still getting used to operating the new machines, with some complaining that self-service actually takes longer than manned checkouts.

‘Nothing could be slower than fighting those machines,’ shared one.

‘The one that gets me is the passive-aggressive “Please take your items” if you take longer than 5 seconds to leave,’ another wrote.

Someone else complained that people sometimes had to wait several seconds between the scanning and the placing of items in the bag area. ‘Or make sure it isn’t leaning on any walls. [It] sucks,’ they added.

One social media user responded that the problem with self-serve checkouts is that the machine is designed to prevent theft rather than provide a positive user experience.

‘This doesn’t work anyway as no matter what’s going on the attendant will just return it to normal and move on. [It just creates] more work for everyone,’ they continued.

aldi2.jpg
This photo sparked a debate on social media. Credit: Reddit

Some people were thankful for the new checkouts ‘slowness’, because they found the rate at which retail workers scanned through their items ‘overwhelming’.

‘At least now I can pack my groceries without them being thrown at my face! No offence to ALDI staff, but you guys are just too quick!’ One wrote.

Someone else shared: ‘Another place I don't have to interact with people now and as ex-checkout staff, it's generally quicker when I do it myself too.’

‘I think it is a recruitment test. If you scan your items as fast as the ALDI checkout operator, they offer you a job!’ A third joked.

This is where the ex-ALDI employee stepped in to explain the speed bagging.

‘We were measured on items per minute when on registers - which is shown at the end of your shift when closing out your individual till. Promise you, they're not doing it for fun,’ they said.

The former employee advised people not to pack their bags at the register as well. ‘Toss it all into the trolley/basket when scanned. Take your time at the packing bench just next to the registers, or buy those bags that hook into the trolley basket so you can kind of pack quickly,’ they continued.

It is believed that ALDI employees review and adjust their scan speed based on how quickly (or slowly!) each customer packs their items. If a shopper would like the staff to slow down, they are encouraged to request the staff to do so.

Self-checkout counters have the potential to reduce human errors in scanning items. They can also potentially reduce long waiting times, and help stores manage their resources.

However, by reducing staff-customer interaction, it becomes more difficult for shoppers to ask for help from employees. This is because fewer checkout staff are needed in stores. Additionally, understaffing could lead to poorer customer service and increase customer complaints.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie shoppers are divided over ALDI’s new self-serve checkouts.
  • One ex-employee revealed that checkout workers are measured on speed (items per minute) when using the registers.
  • They also advised customers to not pack their bags at the register, this allows them to take their time at the packing bench just next to the registers.
Do these new self-serve checkouts make your shopping faster and easier, or do you prefer being assisted by an ALDI staff member? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I love shopping at Aldi because they are quick at the checkouts. As they scan an item I am no longer interested in packing it straight away into the bags as I use to try and do I just put the items into different parts of the trolley as to how I will pack them at the nearby counter. The only way you can pack as they scan is if you have those fancy trolley bags which end up overfull anyway and you cant carry them into your house.....my opinion only.

Do you ever find yourself feeling rushed at the checkout at ALDI? It turns out there’s a secret reason behind why the staff scan your groceries so quickly!

A former ALDI employee has revealed the real reason why staff scan groceries at lightning speed and gave advice for getting through the register hassle-free.

A couple of years ago, ALDI introduced self-serve checkouts to their stores in Australia, a move that has sparked a lot of debate among shoppers.

During a discussion about the supermarket’s self-serve checkouts, in the popular social media forum Reddit, a former ALDI employee revealed the real reason why the staff scan groceries so quickly at the registers.

View attachment 11735
ALDI rolled out their self-serve registers across the country in 2021. Credit: ALDI

The discussion started when a Victorian customer posted a photo of the new customer-operated checkouts at their local store.

A lot of people are still getting used to operating the new machines, with some complaining that self-service actually takes longer than manned checkouts.

‘The one that gets me is the passive-aggressive “Please take your items” if you take longer than 5 seconds to leave,’ another wrote.

Someone else complained that people sometimes had to wait several seconds between the scanning and the placing of items in the bag area. ‘Or make sure it isn’t leaning on any walls. [It] sucks,’ they added.

One social media user responded that the problem with self-serve checkouts is that the machine is designed to prevent theft rather than provide a positive user experience.

‘This doesn’t work anyway as no matter what’s going on the attendant will just return it to normal and move on. [It just creates] more work for everyone,’ they continued.

View attachment 11736

Some people were thankful for the new checkouts ‘slowness’, because they found the rate at which retail workers scanned through their items ‘overwhelming’.

‘At least now I can pack my groceries without them being thrown at my face! No offence to ALDI staff, but you guys are just too quick!’ One wrote.

Someone else shared: ‘Another place I don't have to interact with people now and as ex-checkout staff, it's generally quicker when I do it myself too.’

‘I think it is a recruitment test. If you scan your items as fast as the ALDI checkout operator, they offer you a job!’ A third joked.

‘We were measured on items per minute when on registers - which is shown at the end of your shift when closing out your individual till. Promise you, they're not doing it for fun,’ they said.

The former employee advised people not to pack their bags at the register as well. ‘Toss it all into the trolley/basket when scanned. Take your time at the packing bench just next to the registers, or buy those bags that hook into the trolley basket so you can kind of pack quickly,’ they continued.

It is believed that ALDI employees review and adjust their scan speed based on how quickly (or slowly!) each customer packs their items. If a shopper would like the staff to slow down, they are encouraged to request the staff to do so.

Self-checkout counters have the potential to reduce human errors in scanning items. They can also potentially reduce long waiting times, and help stores manage their resources.

However, by reducing staff-customer interaction, it becomes more difficult for shoppers to ask for help from employees. This is because fewer checkout staff are needed in stores. Additionally, understaffing could lead to poorer customer service and increase customer complaints.

Key Takeaways

• One ex-employee revealed that checkout workers are measured on speed (items per minute) when using the registers.
  • They also advised customers to not pack their bags at the register, this allows them to take their time at the packing bench just next to the registers.
Do these new self-serve checkouts make your shopping faster and easier, or do you prefer being assisted by an ALDI staff member? Let us know in the comments below!
I never use them. Every new machine potentially puts someone out of a job.

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

I am not a paid staff member so why pack my own groceries. I have it down to a fine art!! I use my own BASKET so easy to just drop products into. Stupid waste of time to put straight into the trolley & then re pack at the counter. Baskets are quicker than bags!

Why do people complain about Aldi. I love the place. The staff are so helpful, prices good and you know everything is done to save time and money. If people don't like it, shop elsewhere but please, please, pleasse - do not knock Aldi.

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

Let's face it. The REAL reason behind the customer self checkouts is to reduce staff and reduce wages for the company. I

Check-out machines are de riguer at Woolworth's, Coles and Aldi. Yet none of these outlets pays the purchaser to do a shop-assistant's job, so whilst prices of essentials continue to go UP UP UP, check-out queues get longer and slower and today's shelf -price is tomorrow's special, automated check-out machines and Aldi's time-harassed check-out chicks and check-out guys is just another form of price gouging.

I love shopping at Aldi because they are quick at the checkouts. As they scan an item I am no longer interested in packing it straight away into the bags as I use to try and do I just put the items into different parts of the trolley as to how I will pack them at the nearby counter. The only way you can pack as they scan is if you have those fancy trolley bags which end up overfull anyway and you cant carry them into your house.....my opinion only.
I have the green mesh bags and tie them to the trolley also a cool bag that stands up by itself and pack items as they scan having arranged them in order on the belt ie cool stuff first, fruit and veg next etc - admittedly I am only shopping for one so dont buy a huge amount each week.

I was at Aldi yesterday, and I asked the staff member about the cameras sitting on top of the self serve checkouts.
She said the cameras don't record, it's there as a deterrent for customers who steal.
She also told me the store surveillance cameras do record, however they are only allowed to store the recording for a minimal timeframe.

• Wow
Reactions: robbie's and Ian1
I have learned at Aldi to put only one of a purchase on the conveyor belt, e.g. if you have multiples of an item, just put one and tell the operator as you go through the check out that you have say 3 of the items and then you go through much faster. I also have to grab my items after the check out and go to the packing counter but have less items to pack. I like "Aldi now for some items which I cannot get as cheaply in Woolies or Coles. But I won't use a self serve checkout as it does people out of jobs. I was against Aldi to begin with but their prices on some items are considerably less than the other major supermarkets and if you are like me you have to save wherever you can.

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

Many years ago at Woolworths we used to have register competitions for the fastest operators we also went to register school to learn how to put items through quickly I might add we knew most of the prices as no scanning then 🤷‍♀️😀

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

We refuse to use the self serve check outs, those check outs take away jobs.

I used the aldi self serve checkouts for the first time 2 weeks ago and have to say they are slower than the Woolies or Coles ones.

As for the checkout people I often wondered if they are timed and somehow their performance is shown at the end of day or week . So guess I was ✅
This timing and scanning rate are in all Coles serviced checkouts. We were often tested and advised to get our scan rate up. The annoying thing about that is that the payment process was also included in your rate, so customers who forgot their PIN number or used multiple cards or methods of payment greatly reduced your scan rate. The pressure on operators is intense at times. Hence my plans for a quiet retirement came to fruition.

They wouldn't be so quick if they bagged your groceries like the other supermarkets, might as well use the self checkouts at Aldi because you're already doing half the job by bagging them yourself.

Reactions: robbie's