Former ALDI worker reveals the real reason why staff scan your groceries so quickly

Do you ever find yourself feeling rushed at the checkout at ALDI? It turns out there’s a secret reason behind why the staff scan your groceries so quickly!

A former ALDI employee has revealed the real reason why staff scan groceries at lightning speed and gave advice for getting through the register hassle-free.

A couple of years ago, ALDI introduced self-serve checkouts to their stores in Australia, a move that has sparked a lot of debate among shoppers.

During a discussion about the supermarket’s self-serve checkouts, in the popular social media forum Reddit, a former ALDI employee revealed the real reason why the staff scan groceries so quickly at the registers.

ALDI1.jpg
ALDI rolled out their self-serve registers across the country in 2021. Credit: ALDI

The discussion started when a Victorian customer posted a photo of the new customer-operated checkouts at their local store.

A lot of people are still getting used to operating the new machines, with some complaining that self-service actually takes longer than manned checkouts.

‘Nothing could be slower than fighting those machines,’ shared one.

‘The one that gets me is the passive-aggressive “Please take your items” if you take longer than 5 seconds to leave,’ another wrote.

Someone else complained that people sometimes had to wait several seconds between the scanning and the placing of items in the bag area. ‘Or make sure it isn’t leaning on any walls. [It] sucks,’ they added.

One social media user responded that the problem with self-serve checkouts is that the machine is designed to prevent theft rather than provide a positive user experience.

‘This doesn’t work anyway as no matter what’s going on the attendant will just return it to normal and move on. [It just creates] more work for everyone,’ they continued.

aldi2.jpg
This photo sparked a debate on social media. Credit: Reddit

Some people were thankful for the new checkouts ‘slowness’, because they found the rate at which retail workers scanned through their items ‘overwhelming’.

‘At least now I can pack my groceries without them being thrown at my face! No offence to ALDI staff, but you guys are just too quick!’ One wrote.

Someone else shared: ‘Another place I don't have to interact with people now and as ex-checkout staff, it's generally quicker when I do it myself too.’

‘I think it is a recruitment test. If you scan your items as fast as the ALDI checkout operator, they offer you a job!’ A third joked.

This is where the ex-ALDI employee stepped in to explain the speed bagging.

‘We were measured on items per minute when on registers - which is shown at the end of your shift when closing out your individual till. Promise you, they're not doing it for fun,’ they said.

The former employee advised people not to pack their bags at the register as well. ‘Toss it all into the trolley/basket when scanned. Take your time at the packing bench just next to the registers, or buy those bags that hook into the trolley basket so you can kind of pack quickly,’ they continued.

It is believed that ALDI employees review and adjust their scan speed based on how quickly (or slowly!) each customer packs their items. If a shopper would like the staff to slow down, they are encouraged to request the staff to do so.

Self-checkout counters have the potential to reduce human errors in scanning items. They can also potentially reduce long waiting times, and help stores manage their resources.

However, by reducing staff-customer interaction, it becomes more difficult for shoppers to ask for help from employees. This is because fewer checkout staff are needed in stores. Additionally, understaffing could lead to poorer customer service and increase customer complaints.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie shoppers are divided over ALDI’s new self-serve checkouts.
  • One ex-employee revealed that checkout workers are measured on speed (items per minute) when using the registers.
  • They also advised customers to not pack their bags at the register, this allows them to take their time at the packing bench just next to the registers.
Do these new self-serve checkouts make your shopping faster and easier, or do you prefer being assisted by an ALDI staff member? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have an interesting anecdote about Aldi, but before I share it with you I need to make it clear that I don’t like shopping at Aldi for the reasons detailed below.

Unfortunately, I have no choice because I do the shopping for my wife, who is mobility-impaired so she can’t shop personally for her favourite Aldi products.

These are the reasons I don’t like shopping at Aldi:

* There is rarely more than one register open even at peak times, so the wait time to check out can be extremely frustrating.

Aldi are the only supermarket that doesn’t have self-checkouts, so you’ve no choice but to wait.

* When there is a rare PA announcement of a register opening, there is a typical 5-minute wait for the operator to actually get to the register.

I used to rush with others on seeing the displayed register number change from red to green.

However abandoned doing that because I found it better to stay in the now-depleted current queue and let others waste their time waiting for the other register to open.

* There is no service desk

So when you have a product to return, you have wait patiently at the usual single open register; then have a dialogue with the register operator whilst being frowned on by the long queue of waiting customers.

* Register operators do not bag your products.

Aldi obviously reckoned it would improve register operators productivity by not bagging.

However the operator takes the same time in sliding the scanned product towards you as they would in dropping it into a bag.

So the result is that there is no benefit to Aldi, but extra work for the customer.

To keep up with the operator’s scanning, the customer has to frantically throw the products into their trolley; then go to the customer counter to do the bagging: a classic case of double-handling.

And whilst the customer was at the register filling their trolley then paying, the register operator couldn’t serve the next customer in any case, so there is no increase in operator productivity.

* There are no product category signs in the aisles.

There is thus a continual need to find an Aldi staff member to enquire where a particular product is located (if you can find a staff member!)

Now the anecdote.

All Aldi’s products are priced to end in 9c.

Historically in all retail outlets, a $10 product for example would be priced at $9.99.

The philosophy was that naïve customers would regard the price as $9 instead of $10, so thinking they are getting a bargain.

That marketing ploy started in pre-history before credit cards, so the store got it’s 1c back as the customer had to pay $10 in cash.

Now that cash is in the minority, that practice has largely been discontinued because the store is losing 1c per sold item on credit card payments which adds up to a significant sum on the total annual sales.

The exception is Aldi where EVERY product is priced to end in 9c.

So Aldi naively believes that a customer seeing a product priced at 29c will think it’s 20c.

Recently as I was walking down an aisle at Aldi my eyes nearly popped out on seeing a product priced at 75c.

They nearly popped out again on seeing an Aldi staff member further down the aisle; I rubbed my eyes; yes it was an Aldi staff member actually on the sales floor!

“Excuse me” I said, with pointed finger, “There is a price error on a product down the aisle”

“Where about?” he said as he started to walk down the aisle.

We walked together to the shelf with the 75c product.

“Look” I said, pointing to the product “It should be 79c”

“Oh” he exclaimed, “thanks very much for letting us know, I’ll get it fixed straight away!”

I have been shopping at ALDI's since moving to the Gold Coast. I am impressed with the speed they scan my shopping, and it's up to me to load the goods into the trolley, then pack everything on the packing shelf opposite.

My only gripe is that it's so hard to find someone to ask about the location of some items.

masuk39

I used the aldi self serve checkouts for the first time 2 weeks ago and have to say they are slower than the Woolies or Coles ones.

As for the checkout people I often wondered if they are timed and somehow their performance is shown at the end of day or week . So guess I was ✅
My favourite store also!
no problem if you need to return a product Aldi is the best.

Reactions: siameezer
Do you ever find yourself feeling rushed at the checkout at ALDI? It turns out there’s a secret reason behind why the staff scan your groceries so quickly!

A former ALDI employee has revealed the real reason why staff scan groceries at lightning speed and gave advice for getting through the register hassle-free.

A couple of years ago, ALDI introduced self-serve checkouts to their stores in Australia, a move that has sparked a lot of debate among shoppers.

During a discussion about the supermarket’s self-serve checkouts, in the popular social media forum Reddit, a former ALDI employee revealed the real reason why the staff scan groceries so quickly at the registers.

View attachment 11735
ALDI rolled out their self-serve registers across the country in 2021. Credit: ALDI

The discussion started when a Victorian customer posted a photo of the new customer-operated checkouts at their local store.

A lot of people are still getting used to operating the new machines, with some complaining that self-service actually takes longer than manned checkouts.

‘The one that gets me is the passive-aggressive “Please take your items” if you take longer than 5 seconds to leave,’ another wrote.

Someone else complained that people sometimes had to wait several seconds between the scanning and the placing of items in the bag area. ‘Or make sure it isn’t leaning on any walls. [It] sucks,’ they added.

One social media user responded that the problem with self-serve checkouts is that the machine is designed to prevent theft rather than provide a positive user experience.

‘This doesn’t work anyway as no matter what’s going on the attendant will just return it to normal and move on. [It just creates] more work for everyone,’ they continued.

View attachment 11736

Some people were thankful for the new checkouts ‘slowness’, because they found the rate at which retail workers scanned through their items ‘overwhelming’.

‘At least now I can pack my groceries without them being thrown at my face! No offence to ALDI staff, but you guys are just too quick!’ One wrote.

Someone else shared: ‘Another place I don't have to interact with people now and as ex-checkout staff, it's generally quicker when I do it myself too.’

‘I think it is a recruitment test. If you scan your items as fast as the ALDI checkout operator, they offer you a job!’ A third joked.

‘We were measured on items per minute when on registers - which is shown at the end of your shift when closing out your individual till. Promise you, they're not doing it for fun,’ they said.

The former employee advised people not to pack their bags at the register as well. ‘Toss it all into the trolley/basket when scanned. Take your time at the packing bench just next to the registers, or buy those bags that hook into the trolley basket so you can kind of pack quickly,’ they continued.

It is believed that ALDI employees review and adjust their scan speed based on how quickly (or slowly!) each customer packs their items. If a shopper would like the staff to slow down, they are encouraged to request the staff to do so.

Self-checkout counters have the potential to reduce human errors in scanning items. They can also potentially reduce long waiting times, and help stores manage their resources.

However, by reducing staff-customer interaction, it becomes more difficult for shoppers to ask for help from employees. This is because fewer checkout staff are needed in stores. Additionally, understaffing could lead to poorer customer service and increase customer complaints.

Key Takeaways

• One ex-employee revealed that checkout workers are measured on speed (items per minute) when using the registers.
  • They also advised customers to not pack their bags at the register, this allows them to take their time at the packing bench just next to the registers.
Do these new self-serve checkouts make your shopping faster and easier, or do you prefer being assisted by an ALDI staff member? Let us know in the comments below!
I'm in Qld and my store does not have self serve, but I like Aldi for many reasons. One being the quick checking out.
I've never had a staff be rude if I was a bit slow packing into trolley but I usually place items on conveyer so it goes into trolley correctly.
Always plenty of room on packing bench and prices are the best.
If I have one fault with Aldi it would be .....when buying frozen meals the name of the meal is often not shown, as packages have been placed in with name at the back. So one scrambles round so many in some cases to find the one you want.
A little extra time in this area would assist us seniors.....but otherwise I enjoy shopping at Aldi.

Seems everything is designed to avoid helping us in life anywhere/every business/company/
gov department etc these days & Aldi is no different- avoid wasting time assisting customers to keep staff productivity higher?
I cannot see how self serve checkouts do not mean less employees/wages to pay for Aldi

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

And here I was thinking about applying for a part time job with Aldi! I don’t think so now. I would feel so rude throwing customers’ items at them!

I don't work at ALDI's so I don't use self service checkouts . Plus most of the time you meet some really nice people who are happy to serve you. Bonus your keeping them in a job.

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

I do not like self service checkouts. Having to navigate through several different screens is a pain, and if you get it wrong then you have to wait for someone to assist you. If I have to wait for help, it would be better to save time and go through the normal checkout. Furthermore, by using the self checkout you are depriving someone of a job.

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

Personally I detest self serve checkouts and will not as a rule use them, BUT at Aldi if I only want one or two items that are on special and I have to queue behind someone with a trolley overflowing with items, I just don't shop there and give it a miss BUT I would definitely use a self serve checkout if available for 1 or 2 items.

I hate self serve with a Passion. It never works and I always have to ask for help. I will only use a Personal Cashier. Even they sometimes have problems like the code not scanning. I will always wait in line for a person NOT self serve.

Many years ago at Woolworths we used to have register competitions for the fastest operators we also went to register school to learn how to put items through quickly I might add we knew most of the prices as no scanning then 🤷‍♀️😀
That was me too

It's a mystery why people like Aldi. That said I have been in there and been packing my few groceries when the employee scans the next person's groceries and mine have been pushed aside. Quite rude of the employee especially with me juggling things with one hand in a brace. I'll know now to take as long as I need to pack my groceries and don't care about the scan tally of the employee. Aldi already has little to no customer service, prices and quality are not competitive and then there's the added charges for paying with credit, so knowing they are deliberately reducing customer-employee interaction, well, what can I say...it makes me even more of an anti Aldi shopper. The only plus with Aldi is their pay trolleys. All shops should only have pay trolleys so they're not littering the parks and roads.

I do love Aldi but it bugs me when some people I stress some people seem to think it's ok to pack their stuff at the checkout instead of putting it into a trolly or basket and going to the packing counter and as for the auto checkout it's just like the other big shops cut staff and more money for bonus hungry Ceo's and shareholders

Reactions: Fat&fancy

View attachment 11735

View attachment 11736

Key Takeaways

I will never use a self checkout!
I have helped a few elderly people with their purchases because they had bad arthritis in their hands, so the checkout operators need to be more compassionate when serving the elderly. Not that I'm a spring chicken LOL.

Just returned from my local Aldi store. They now employ a full time person to help at their self serve checkouts. Well done Aldi.