Foodie says bacon sangas should be made with marmalade – and people are divided

A foodie has claimed that people should ditch ketchup and BBQ sauce on their bacon sandwiches and slap on some marmalade instead!

Felicity Cloake, sauce expert and the author of the cookbook Red Sauce, Brown Sauce: A British Breakfast Odyssey, said in an interview that bacon sangas with a generous spread of English mustard and marmalade are a match made in heaven.

“I feel like a bad British person for saying this,” said the cookery writer. “A friend introduced me to it, and it feels like a Damascene moment every time I eat one.”

DsF05raNKngiG7uf5Phs0wTmFV3NXlaaxp3ji-PYwmhMPIT_Pi08MDsZ1UMq4G6dfySqtDEU8AXbRDn7E3i7anJ2TJM1ZtVxvrgt-2BttfYcQuhg7DyU4KdS4VwT4x6GOxlMY7A9

Felicity Cloake said she makes her bacon sandwiches with marmalade. Credit: Getty.
Apparently, Cloake had asked Britons for their opinions, but everyone had a different answer. But she concluded that using brown sauce is “more northern”, while “ketchup was a bit of a newcomer”, saying that the tomato sauce feels more “southern and middle class”.

“Ketchup just makes everything taste of ketchup,” claimed the writer.

And ever since she aired her opinions in public, she’s been flooded with a wave of different reactions from sandwich lovers everywhere!

Some are saying that she should be “cancelled” for disrespecting the classic sanga, and they could never imagine the snack going with a sweet orange jelly.

“I like an occasional bacon sandwich but I would draw the line at marmalade!” said one person.

As a matter of fact, Cloake’s strange sandwich opinion even made it to the headlines of a UK newspaper publication, which read: BACON BUTTY HORROR.

Meanwhile, others were more supportive of her suggestion, and said that they would be keen to try the strange combination themselves.

“This sounds like it might just work beautifully,” tweeted one user.

Ooh, we have to admit – this is a rather strange combination for a sandwich! Are you game enough to give this one a shot?

Or better yet, do you know of any other sandwich combos that despite being bizarre, work deliciously? Share them with us in the comments below!

Reactions: chean5410 and Ricci
Sponsored
Sounds delicious...will have to try cooking the bacon covered in marmalade in the air fryer!
Tomato and BBQ sauces = :sick:

Reactions: Ricci
My husband has been putting marmalade on his EGG and bacon sandwiches for years and says don’t knock it til you try it. I can’t bring myself to 🤢 but will certainly try the bacon & marmalade combination though.

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
Bacon and marmalade or jam, apple and cheese, peanut butter and crisps, banana and jam, banana and ham, just a few of the sandwich options in our house. My kids were of the opinion that it all gets mixed up in your tummy anyway so why not mix it up before it gets there!

A foodie has claimed that people should ditch ketchup and BBQ sauce on their bacon sandwiches and slap on some marmalade instead!

Felicity Cloake, sauce expert and the author of the cookbook Red Sauce, Brown Sauce: A British Breakfast Odyssey, said in an interview that bacon sangas with a generous spread of English mustard and marmalade are a match made in heaven.

“I feel like a bad British person for saying this,” said the cookery writer. “A friend introduced me to it, and it feels like a Damascene moment every time I eat one.”

DsF05raNKngiG7uf5Phs0wTmFV3NXlaaxp3ji-PYwmhMPIT_Pi08MDsZ1UMq4G6dfySqtDEU8AXbRDn7E3i7anJ2TJM1ZtVxvrgt-2BttfYcQuhg7DyU4KdS4VwT4x6GOxlMY7A9

Felicity Cloake said she makes her bacon sandwiches with marmalade. Credit: Getty.
Apparently, Cloake had asked Britons for their opinions, but everyone had a different answer. But she concluded that using brown sauce is “more northern”, while “ketchup was a bit of a newcomer”, saying that the tomato sauce feels more “southern and middle class”.

And ever since she aired her opinions in public, she’s been flooded with a wave of different reactions from sandwich lovers everywhere!

Some are saying that she should be “cancelled” for disrespecting the classic sanga, and they could never imagine the snack going with a sweet orange jelly.

“I like an occasional bacon sandwich but I would draw the line at marmalade!” said one person.

As a matter of fact, Cloake’s strange sandwich opinion even made it to the headlines of a UK newspaper publication, which read: BACON BUTTY HORROR.

Meanwhile, others were more supportive of her suggestion, and said that they would be keen to try the strange combination themselves.

Ooh, we have to admit – this is a rather strange combination for a sandwich! Are you game enough to give this one a shot?

Or better yet, do you know of any other sandwich combos that despite being bizarre, work deliciously? Share them with us in the comments below!
it's a family breakfast when having bacon

More than 30 years ago some friend introduced me to toast with camembert or brie, topped with strawberry jam. I found the idea revolting, but it s now become a family favorite😂

This sounds like something Elvis Presley would have loved. Didn't he eat enormous sandwiches with pounds of bacon and banana a number of times a day. Oh oh! Bit fattening hey!

• Haha
Reactions: KatKop and Ricci

Sounds like a plan, a little citrus tartness and sweetness could be most appetizing. Better than maple syrup.

This sounds like something Elvis Presley would have loved. Didn't he eat enormous sandwiches with pounds of bacon and banana a number of times a day. Oh oh! Bit fattening hey!
you left out the peanut butter.