Food pantries struggle to feed hungry Australians amid cost-of-living crisis

In a nation known for its wealth and resources, it's a sobering reality that hunger remains a pressing issue for many Australians.

The latest findings are in, and they paint a troubling picture: about two-thirds of food relief charities nationwide cannot meet the growing demand from those struggling to put food on the table.

OzHarvest, the nation's leading food rescue organisation, released its annual survey of 1,500 charities with alarming findings.

The survey underscored the severe impact of the cost-of-living crisis on the most vulnerable segments of our society.

Ronni Kahn, the founder of OzHarvest, expressed her dismay at the findings.

'We're delivering over half a million meals across the country every week, but it's just not enough,' she shared.

Charities are at their limit, with some turning away hungry individuals because of insufficient supplies.

compressed-food aid.jpeg
Food pantries and charities face their own crisis as they struggle to meet demands of hungry Australians. Image Credit: Pexels/RDNE Stock Project

Kahn revealed that most of these charities could double their food distribution efforts and still not satisfy the need.

The face of hunger in Australia is changing—more and more families with two working parents find themselves in a position where they seek assistance from food charities.

Marika, a mum from Western Australia, shared her reliance on OzHarvest's weekly deliveries to feed her children.

'With the cost of living, we're finding it very hard to have a constant supply of food in the house,' she said.

'With kids with an ever-growing appetite, it's a constant battle.'

The situation is equally dire in Brisbane—Jimmy from Community Friends West End reported that residents line up for two hours weekly to secure fresh fruit and vegetables.

'People are desperate to eat, be heard, survive, to get by another day,' he said.

The survey revealed that three-quarters of the charities have seen an increase in demand for food over the past year, with nearly one-third of those seeking help doing so for the first time.

The number of charities unable to meet demand has escalated to 67 per cent, compared to 47 per cent last year.

OzHarvest estimated that at least 30,000 Australians miss out on food monthly—an inaccurate figure as many citizens do not seek assistance.

Viele, a community worker in Melbourne, shared poignant observations of the hunger crisis.

'There are times when you look at someone's face and realise they haven't eaten in a couple of days,' she shared.

'The moment you heat a meal for them, their mood changes. They start asking questions.'

This situation raised critical questions about food security in Australia and the effectiveness of our social safety nets.

It's a call to action for communities, policymakers, and individuals to address the root causes of this crisis and support charities that are feeding the hungry.
Key Takeaways

• Australians are facing record levels of need for food relief, with two-thirds of charities unable to meet the growing demand.
  • OzHarvest's annual survey exposed the critical situation in which families with multiple incomes now turn to food charities.
  • The cost-of-living crisis has impacted the most vulnerable, leading to long queues and children being kept home from school due to lack of food.
  • The situation worsened over the past year, as 67 per cent of charities reported they cannot fulfil the demand for their services.
Have you noticed the effects of the food crisis in your community? Have you or someone you know had to seek food assistance? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I AM ON A SINGLE PENSIONER RATE AND IN THE LAST 3 YEARS I HAD TO CANCEL MY HOUSE INSURANCE AND CAR INSURANCE AND NOW I HAVE NO HOT WATER AS MY SYSTEM CRAPPED ITSELF AND I CANNOT AFFORD TO FIX
I ONLY HAVE ONE MEAL A DAY AND DO NOT USE HEATING AND COOLING AND I AM SURE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE
AND BECAUSE OF GOVT POLICY THINGS ARE ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE
THANK YOU GOVT FOR TREATING US AS NOBODIES EVEN THOUGH OUR GENERATION [ THE POST WAR GENERATION] WORKED ALL THEIR LIVES NOT LIKE THE GENERATIONS AFTER US

I have no job (being 81), no pension (I live on over 5ac.) and no super! I do not buy meat that needs cooking, fish, too many vegies, expensive drinks etc. Do not pay insurance, am not in a private medical fund, do not drive, do not go out unless taken by an organisation (for which I have to pay). I live alone and often do not see human beings for 2 weeks. Sometimes I think about checking out by my own hand but have so far resisted this. I live in an area with no public transport, do not have any family and most friends have died before me or are not in a position to help me in any way. Life is hardly worth living but for some reason I keep going! Older people in their own homes need more help and I am one of them!

I have no job (being 81), no pension (I live on over 5ac.) and no super! I do not buy meat that needs cooking, fish, too many vegies, expensive drinks etc. Do not pay insurance, am not in a private medical fund, do not drive, do not go out unless taken by an organisation (for which I have to pay). I live alone and often do not see human beings for 2 weeks. Sometimes I think about checking out by my own hand but have so far resisted this. I live in an area with no public transport, do not have any family and most friends have died before me or are not in a position to help me in any way. Life is hardly worth living but for some reason I keep going! Older people in their own homes need more help and I am one of them!
So sorry for terrible, lonely situation but please resist the check out option. Please take care.

I AM ON A SINGLE PENSIONER RATE AND IN THE LAST 3 YEARS I HAD TO CANCEL MY HOUSE INSURANCE AND CAR INSURANCE AND NOW I HAVE NO HOT WATER AS MY SYSTEM CRAPPED ITSELF AND I CANNOT AFFORD TO FIX
I ONLY HAVE ONE MEAL A DAY AND DO NOT USE HEATING AND COOLING AND I AM SURE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE
THANK YOU GOVT FOR TREATING US AS NOBODIES EVEN THOUGH OUR GENERATION [ THE POST WAR GENERATION] WORKED ALL THEIR LIVES NOT LIKE THE GENERATIONS AFTER US
Hear hear... I'm in the same boat except that i am renting and the pension only covers 50% of the rent.
VAD has too many conditions....

Glenys although I don't know where you live etc. please accept my hugs from a distance. I feel for you and wish I could physically give you a hug and let you know that you are important to everyone you say hello to even if they are 2 weeks apart. It is not for me or anyone to tell you what to do but please don't let life get you down. Sending you love and hugs Rel🫂❤️

• Love
Reactions: Gsr and Jo Piper3
I am sorry, to hear your plight. I was born in the 60's always worked since I was 13. Still working 50 years later, as I have to plan build up my super so hopefully I can retire at 67 because I may not get a pension. Even though I am still paying my taxes and contributing extra towards my superannuation!

Reactions: Jo Piper3 and Gsr
My sister uses food services weekly or she and her son don’t eat. She lives in a country area, if she is lucky when she visits the larger town forty minutes drive away they may have some food left to give her. She has more luck getting food at the country garage she uses, the shop next door has a pantry where locals donate food for people in need. The small town about thirty minutes drive from her has a food pantry also where locals cook and donate meals and tinned food, fruit and vegies. She is usually able to get food there every week. It is wonderful how the country people in the area she lives who can afford to do so, are donating food and meals for the people who live in poverty in the area. Typical of country people to do this.

I'm also on a single pension, so far I can still have 3 meals a day and snacks but I need to feed myself reasonably well due to being diabetic. But I'm also heading into my second winter without hot water for the same reasons you are. You have my empathy there. We are now the invisible generation and they are just waiting for us to drop off the perch.

Do you live in Hobart ? l would be more than willing to help you in any way l could. You need someone to watch over you, what if you fell over? There are government packages you could apply for where you can get carers that come into your home to clean the house and anything else you want and you can buy things you need to assist you and it's free,you are allocated so much a year,l will look into it for you,

• Love
Reactions: Jo Piper3 and Gsr
l tried to get help for you,just an address or phone number but when l typed in Social Security in Woodford Queensland l just got no-where at all.l suggest if there is an office there to ring them l'm sure they will be able to put you on to the right people.Sorry l wasn't much help but l haven't given up.

l tried to get help for you,just an address or phone number but when l typed in Social Security in Woodford Queensland l just got no-where at all.l suggest if there is an office there to ring them l'm sure they will be able to put you on to the right people.Sorry l wasn't much help but l haven't given up.
You're a good kind person....

A SINGLE PENSIONER RATE AND IN THE LAST 3 YEARS I HAD TO CANCEL MY HOUSE INSURANCE AND CAR INSURANCE AND NOW I HAVE NO HOT WATER AS MY SYSTEM CRAPPED ITSELF AND I CANNOT AFFORD TO FIX
THANK YOU GOVT FOR TREATING US AS NOBODIES EVEN THOUGH OUR GENERATION [ THE POST WAR GENERATION] WORKED ALL THEIR LIVES NOT LIKE THE GENERATIONS

Thanks Ebby for your extraordinary kindness to a virtual stranger, what a wonderful person you are! God bless you.

l tried to get help for you, just an address or phone number but when l typed in Social Security in Woodford Queensland l just got no-where at all. l suggest if there is an office there to ring them l'm sure they will be able to put you on to the right people. Sorry l wasn't much help but l haven't given up.
I work in aged care, you will need a referal from your GP, then contact MY AGED CARE, someone will assess you to get home help from several companies.

Reactions: Jo Piper3 and Ebby
A SINGLE PENSIONER RATE AND IN THE LAST 3 YEARS I HAD TO CANCEL MY HOUSE INSURANCE AND CAR INSURANCE AND NOW I HAVE NO HOT WATER AS MY SYSTEM CRAPPED ITSELF AND I CANNOT AFFORD TO FIX

Thanks Ebby for your extraordinary kindness to a virtual stranger, what a wonderful person you are! God bless you.