Five school children die in Devonport’s jumping castle tragedy, five other children injured

A "significant local wind event" has led to the death of five children at Devonport's jumping castle tragedy, the Tasmanian police have reported.

1639711405825.png
jkNAnHtbWojxPMQdVnlDmIwgYwevFuVU3AT2BlBvvVe_1Ds9I8I6EhHGNNRGs61jLyahM_OS5aAOHeA5fPFcrXN0ruugIInuGxnFRDvMecz4KnF-xPhHtkWAhAZRc2vYd-Q-5vs

Among the pupils who died at the tragic incident are Addison Stewart and Zane Gardam whose families started a GoFundMe page for them. Credit: Facebook/GoFundMe.

The seemingly calm day changed drastically after wind speeds quickly went up to 17 km/h, from 7km/h when the incident unfolded at Hillcrest Primary School, bringing gustier conditions to Devonport.

It was reported that the winds continued to pick up speed during the afternoon, peaking with gusts of more than 30km/h.

The furious gusts caused a jumping castle to be thrown into the air, leaving five, five and six grade-schoolers dead.

Other casualties included four children who are in a critical condition and one pupil seriously injured.

It is currently unknown how the freak accident occurred nor how many pupils were on the jumping castle at the time of the incident.

However, investigations are on the way with the involvement of WorkSafe Tasmania.

Among the children who died in the tragic event was grade six students Zane and Addison, whose families started a GoFundMe page for them.

Tasmania Police Commissioner Darren Hine said: “On a day when these children were meant to be celebrating their last day of primary school, instead we’re all mourning their loss.”

“Our hearts are breaking for the families and the loved ones, schoolmates, teachers of these young people who were taken too soon."

“Our thoughts are also with the emergency service personnel who attend to try and save these young people’s lives.”

76mKh8BlweF19dFFUONc6xXOxs5pGWygw4VuaFNKpyaGT1gj_LajOY1x8umfPEtk0uFRfd8WqDg78EzXIkBQYIg3XldXKnQGOPHaXkzXKvOdSSsfZrgz11KAczkTQP6TBrKHl-4

Fierce winds ravaged Devonport, leading to a fatal accident. Credit: Helen Kempton.

Department of Education secretary Tim Bullard sent his sincere condolences to the family of the late pupils and the school community.

“What has occurred today is a tragedy and there are no words that I can give that will take away the grief that those impacted families are feeling right now,” he said.

The castle had blown 10 metres into the air before the children were thrown to the ground, Commander Debbie Williams confirmed.

Commander Williams said: “This is a very tragic event and our thoughts are with the families and the wider school community, and also our first responders.”

“There is no doubt that this has been a very confronting and distressing scene."

“Counselling is being made available to the families affected by this in the school community along with the first responders.”

Two rescue helicopters and multiple ambulances were deployed to the scene, tending to the victims of the fatal accident.

Dah-6sNJQe6_doro0jLr6_18eanoICOLJ1j55Y-oDaQWHGmredUxOt4OHhdLTbYj0UJqqZ6PXUflDuqC_sVJ-08NPHYvJqmMolhGVHjeF-K8k0qIa1mcwrsfg_JVBvhZLpezbN4

Rescuers were immediately sent to the scene. Credit: Helen Kempton.

A young schoolboy who witnessed the horrific incident, claimed that he narrowly missed out on getting on the jumping castle.

The boy said: “It was our turn next.”

“Grade five and six went first.”

It was also reported that stressed parents were forced to wait anxiously at the school gates with no information on whether their children had been injured after being contacted to collect their children as soon as possible.

One mum took to Facebook to express her panic and dismay on how authorities were handling the event, writing that she arrived at the school at about 11:30 am but she and other parents were not being allowed in.

The mum wrote: “I’m here now they won’t let us in, it was (child’s name) grade but no one knows who was hurt yet,” she wrote.

“I have a friend with children there and he hasn’t heard anything yet,” another added.

Other parents expressed their anger towards the fact that details of the tragic incident were reported in the media first before they had been informed about it.

One parent wrote: “Shame it was spread all over the media before the school had time to contact parents. Thinking of all involved.”

A mum, who drove to Hillcrest to support a friend, said that she saw a "horrific" scene upon arriving in the vicinity.

“I went there because a friend was upset trying to figure out if their kids were OK before she got there and it was just horrific,” she wrote in a comment.

1-5yp4VcMkaGtDhoZpBjXSCV6g8nDQQdXT1E-apdxlY3Lx1QzqBEx84W2qijHPFUSUEYwxIq63ufMQRG4xj7vadq62b_Wyki6OMfejyxe56XigBaYVXt0K57ieZ1bxqr_kcYUbA

Stressed parents were anxiously waiting at the gates of the school. Credit: Helen Kempton.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison expressed his grief over the incident, saying that the terrible tragedy was “just shattering”.

“It is just unthinkably heartbreaking. Young children on a fun day out, together with their families and it turns to such a horrific tragedy, at this time of year, it just breaks your heart,” he said.

“And I just want to say, on behalf of all Australians – to the parents and families and friends, all who were there, to the other young children there and witnessing these events, I just pray you‘ll have a great family around you and great friends and you can come through this horrific tragedy.”

PM Morrison has reached out to Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein, promising to provide whatever support is necessary.

Mr Gutwein said: “I’ve been made aware of an incident at Hillcrest Primary School involving a jumping castle which got away in high winds."

“I understand there are serious injuries involved."

“As further information comes to hand we will provide it, but as this involves a primary school my thoughts are with the people involved and the parents.”

We are absolutely devastated about this story and want to send our sincere condolences to anyone impacted by this tragedy. We cannot fathom the angst these poor families are going through. Our thoughts and prayers are with them all.

Below are the GoFundMe pages for Addison and Zane:

Addison Stewart: https://www.gofundme.com/f/hillcres...EIh7cIMsBt8mdQel_DgH9LviuKY6JhBBWNTZc3uEU_gNA

Zane Gardam: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-for...1UI6uReyxJ9Pzwaju2kTHxLt2daJFHLMGvMen_aHzy8rI

• Sad
Reactions: Fat&fancy
Sponsored
OMG. This made me cry My heart goes out to those families, the school community, first responders and everyone else dealing with this tragic event. To lose a child at any time of the year is horrific but is particularly sad and hard at Christmas.💔

• Sad
Reactions: Xe
Five school children die in Devonport’s jumping castle tragedy, five other children injured

A "significant local wind event" has led to the death of five children at Devonport's jumping castle tragedy, the Tasmanian police have reported.

View attachment 745
jkNAnHtbWojxPMQdVnlDmIwgYwevFuVU3AT2BlBvvVe_1Ds9I8I6EhHGNNRGs61jLyahM_OS5aAOHeA5fPFcrXN0ruugIInuGxnFRDvMecz4KnF-xPhHtkWAhAZRc2vYd-Q-5vs

Among the pupils who died at the tragic incident are Addison Stewart and Zane Gardam whose families started a GoFundMe page for them. Credit: Facebook/GoFundMe.

The seemingly calm day changed drastically after wind speeds quickly went up to 17 km/h, from 7km/h when the incident unfolded at Hillcrest Primary School, bringing gustier conditions to Devonport.

It was reported that the winds continued to pick up speed during the afternoon, peaking with gusts of more than 30km/h.

The furious gusts caused a jumping castle to be thrown into the air, leaving five, five and six grade-schoolers dead.

Other casualties included four children who are in a critical condition and one pupil seriously injured.

It is currently unknown how the freak accident occurred nor how many pupils were on the jumping castle at the time of the incident.

However, investigations are on the way with the involvement of WorkSafe Tasmania.

Among the children who died in the tragic event was grade six students Zane and Addison, whose families started a GoFundMe page for them.

Tasmania Police Commissioner Darren Hine said: “On a day when these children were meant to be celebrating their last day of primary school, instead we’re all mourning their loss.”

“Our hearts are breaking for the families and the loved ones, schoolmates, teachers of these young people who were taken too soon."

“Our thoughts are also with the emergency service personnel who attend to try and save these young people’s lives.”

76mKh8BlweF19dFFUONc6xXOxs5pGWygw4VuaFNKpyaGT1gj_LajOY1x8umfPEtk0uFRfd8WqDg78EzXIkBQYIg3XldXKnQGOPHaXkzXKvOdSSsfZrgz11KAczkTQP6TBrKHl-4

Fierce winds ravaged Devonport, leading to a fatal accident. Credit: Helen Kempton.

Department of Education secretary Tim Bullard sent his sincere condolences to the family of the late pupils and the school community.

“What has occurred today is a tragedy and there are no words that I can give that will take away the grief that those impacted families are feeling right now,” he said.

The castle had blown 10 metres into the air before the children were thrown to the ground, Commander Debbie Williams confirmed.

Commander Williams said: “This is a very tragic event and our thoughts are with the families and the wider school community, and also our first responders.”

“There is no doubt that this has been a very confronting and distressing scene."

“Counselling is being made available to the families affected by this in the school community along with the first responders.”

Two rescue helicopters and multiple ambulances were deployed to the scene, tending to the victims of the fatal accident.

Dah-6sNJQe6_doro0jLr6_18eanoICOLJ1j55Y-oDaQWHGmredUxOt4OHhdLTbYj0UJqqZ6PXUflDuqC_sVJ-08NPHYvJqmMolhGVHjeF-K8k0qIa1mcwrsfg_JVBvhZLpezbN4

Rescuers were immediately sent to the scene. Credit: Helen Kempton.

A young schoolboy who witnessed the horrific incident, claimed that he narrowly missed out on getting on the jumping castle.

The boy said: “It was our turn next.”

“Grade five and six went first.”

It was also reported that stressed parents were forced to wait anxiously at the school gates with no information on whether their children had been injured after being contacted to collect their children as soon as possible.

One mum took to Facebook to express her panic and dismay on how authorities were handling the event, writing that she arrived at the school at about 11:30 am but she and other parents were not being allowed in.

The mum wrote: “I’m here now they won’t let us in, it was (child’s name) grade but no one knows who was hurt yet,” she wrote.

“I have a friend with children there and he hasn’t heard anything yet,” another added.

Other parents expressed their anger towards the fact that details of the tragic incident were reported in the media first before they had been informed about it.

One parent wrote: “Shame it was spread all over the media before the school had time to contact parents. Thinking of all involved.”

A mum, who drove to Hillcrest to support a friend, said that she saw a "horrific" scene upon arriving in the vicinity.

“I went there because a friend was upset trying to figure out if their kids were OK before she got there and it was just horrific,” she wrote in a comment.

1-5yp4VcMkaGtDhoZpBjXSCV6g8nDQQdXT1E-apdxlY3Lx1QzqBEx84W2qijHPFUSUEYwxIq63ufMQRG4xj7vadq62b_Wyki6OMfejyxe56XigBaYVXt0K57ieZ1bxqr_kcYUbA

Stressed parents were anxiously waiting at the gates of the school. Credit: Helen Kempton.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison expressed his grief over the incident, saying that the terrible tragedy was “just shattering”.

“It is just unthinkably heartbreaking. Young children on a fun day out, together with their families and it turns to such a horrific tragedy, at this time of year, it just breaks your heart,” he said.

“And I just want to say, on behalf of all Australians – to the parents and families and friends, all who were there, to the other young children there and witnessing these events, I just pray you‘ll have a great family around you and great friends and you can come through this horrific tragedy.”

PM Morrison has reached out to Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein, promising to provide whatever support is necessary.

Mr Gutwein said: “I’ve been made aware of an incident at Hillcrest Primary School involving a jumping castle which got away in high winds."

“I understand there are serious injuries involved."

“As further information comes to hand we will provide it, but as this involves a primary school my thoughts are with the people involved and the parents.”

We are absolutely devastated about this story and want to send our sincere condolences to anyone impacted by this tragedy. We cannot fathom the angst these poor families are going through. Our thoughts and prayers are with them all.

Below are the GoFundMe pages for Addison and Zane:

Addison Stewart: https://www.gofundme.com/f/hillcres...EIh7cIMsBt8mdQel_DgH9LviuKY6JhBBWNTZc3uEU_gNA

Zane Gardam: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-for...1UI6uReyxJ9Pzwaju2kTHxLt2daJFHLMGvMen_aHzy8rI
SO heartbreaking, my heart aches for the families, so close to Christmas too, truly tragic. Rest in peace little one's.

Attachments

• rip.jpg
    rip.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sad
Reactions: Ricci
... I have looked into few dictionaries to find words about the sadness which parents are feeling . In none of them there were to express my sadness. So sorry for the Families. May God take this little souls into his Garden.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci