Find out which bakery won Australia's Best Sausage Roll!

Earlier this month, the Baking Association of Australia held its South Australian Baking Show to determine which bakery would win the title of Australia's best sausage roll.

And the winner is... Belair’s Banana Boogie Bakery!

photo 6.jpg

Jason Spencer, owner of Banana Boogie Bakery, was confident with his sausage roll recipe. Image source: Facebook/Banana Boogie Bakery.

Owner Jason Spencer, a baker with 25 years of experience in the industry, was confident that his entry would do well.

'We just had to have a good day of baking on the day, and we did. Our pastry came out perfect, our meat didn’t shrink at all,' he said. 'Everything just went our way on the day, and it showed when the judges called the results out.'

We’re sure many members would agree that what makes a good sausage roll are its visual appeal and its flavour. Spencer said Banana Boogie bakery pays special attention to both elements by baking the pastry until it's a 'golden brown' with a 'shiny' look.

photo 5.jpg
The Banana Boogie Bakery team had a good baking day during the competition as their pastry came out perfect! Image source: Facebook/Banana Boogie Bakery.

BAA board member and head judge Stewart Latter said that between 40 and 50 bakeries entered the sausage roll competition, each submitting a roll that was no longer than 200mm.

All of the rolls were judged on a series of criteria, including overall appearance, the ratio between meat to pastry, and of course–the flavour.

The judges used a scoring system out of 60, and Banana Boogie Bakery achieved an impressive score of 60/60!

This isn't the first win of the year for the bakery. They also took out five other titles at the BAA's Victorian Baking Show last March, including Australia's Best Hot Cross Bun.

Spencer isn’t done yet though, as he’s now setting his sights on The Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph in Merbein, Victoria, in just two weeks’ time.

'I’m hoping to take an absolutely clean sweep of the national competition this year,' he said.

Different Types of Sausage Rolls Across Cultures

The mighty sausage roll isn’t restricted to our fair Aussie shores. Across the seas, various nationalities have deliciously different approaches to this humble delight.

Aussies are partial to a beautifully baked roll encompassing quality minced meat, finely diced veggies, and a liberal sprinkling of spices–our fantastic local bakers sure have perfected the art of baking a good snag roll! The winning recipe at the BAA South Australian Baking Show is a shining example of the traditional Australian grub.

However, take a trip to the United Kingdom and discover a distinctive take on the sausage roll.

Over there, they typically opt for a mix of finely chopped pork, lard, and bread, all encased in a puff pastry carefully baked until golden brown and flaky. In fact, the sausage roll is of such significance in the UK that it routinely finds itself centre stage at British events and gatherings, from royal weddings to footy matches.

Roll over to the American side, and you’re introduced to ‘pig in a blanket.’ In contrast to the large, hearty rolls we are accustomed to, Americans usually enjoy miniature sausage rolls as appetisers. These bite-sized morsels typically involve little sausages wrapped snugly in the dough, creating a perfect fun-sized snack for any occasion.

And let’s not forget our neighbours in New Zealand, where they add a bit of 'pizzazz’ to their sausage rolls with a secret ingredient–grated cheese. Some NZ bakeries even use a unique sausage meat blend to incite a special flavoured kick that has Kiwi taste buds dancing with delight!

Members, if you're ever in South Australia and need a sausage roll (or a hot cross bun), maybe try Banana Boogie Bakery’s and let us know about your experience in the comment section below.

Now if you prefer pies, you might want to give this one a try!

Sponsored
Earlier this month, the Baking Association of Australia held its South Australian Baking Show to determine which bakery would win the title of Australia's best sausage roll.

View attachment 27114

Jason Spencer, owner of Banana Boogie Bakery, was confident with his sausage roll recipe. Image source: Facebook/Banana Boogie Bakery.

Owner Jason Spencer, a baker with 25 years of experience in the industry, was confident that his entry would do well.

'We just had to have a good day of baking on the day, and we did. Our pastry came out perfect, our meat didn’t shrink at all,' he said. 'Everything just went our way on the day, and it showed when the judges called the results out.'

We’re sure many members would agree that what makes a good sausage roll are its visual appeal and its flavour. Spencer said Banana Boogie bakery pays special attention to both elements by baking the pastry until it's a 'golden brown' with a 'shiny' look.

View attachment 27115
The Banana Boogie Bakery team had a good baking day during the competition as their pastry came out perfect! Image source: Facebook/Banana Boogie Bakery.

BAA board member and head judge Stewart Latter said that between 40 and 50 bakeries entered the sausage roll competition, each submitting a roll that was no longer than 200mm.

All of the rolls were judged on a series of criteria, including overall appearance, the ratio between meat to pastry, and of course–the flavour.

The judges used a scoring system out of 60, and Banana Boogie Bakery achieved an impressive score of 60/60!

This isn't the first win of the year for the bakery. They also took out five other titles at the BAA's Victorian Baking Show last March, including Australia's Best Hot Cross Bun.

Spencer isn’t done yet though, as he’s now setting his sights on The Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph in Merbein, Victoria, in just two weeks’ time.

'I’m hoping to take an absolutely clean sweep of the national competition this year,' he said.

The mighty sausage roll isn’t restricted to our fair Aussie shores. Across the seas, various nationalities have deliciously different approaches to this humble delight.

Aussies are partial to a beautifully baked roll encompassing quality minced meat, finely diced veggies, and a liberal sprinkling of spices–our fantastic local bakers sure have perfected the art of baking a good snag roll! The winning recipe at the BAA South Australian Baking Show is a shining example of the traditional Australian grub.

However, take a trip to the United Kingdom and discover a distinctive take on the sausage roll.

Over there, they typically opt for a mix of finely chopped pork, lard, and bread, all encased in a puff pastry carefully baked until golden brown and flaky. In fact, the sausage roll is of such significance in the UK that it routinely finds itself centre stage at British events and gatherings, from royal weddings to footy matches.

Roll over to the American side, and you’re introduced to ‘pig in a blanket.’ In contrast to the large, hearty rolls we are accustomed to, Americans usually enjoy miniature sausage rolls as appetisers. These bite-sized morsels typically involve little sausages wrapped snugly in the dough, creating a perfect fun-sized snack for any occasion.

And let’s not forget our neighbours in New Zealand, where they add a bit of 'pizzazz’ to their sausage rolls with a secret ingredient–grated cheese. Some NZ bakeries even use a unique sausage meat blend to incite a special flavoured kick that has Kiwi taste buds dancing with delight!

Members, if you're ever in South Australia and need a sausage roll (or a hot cross bun), maybe try Banana Boogie Bakery’s and let us know about your experience in the comment section below.

Where is this bakery located, what town.

Am English but never had a sausage roll with lard and bread!!!!!!! Always just the usual sausage meat and pastry! Where did you get that info from????

Reactions: Macarj
Well done Banana Boogie Baker ♥
Now lets hope members don't go copy & paste here, sausage roll recipes from google and paste it here at SDC as their own *wink wink* always give credit where credit is due.

Reactions: croz
I make my own sausage rolls and use sausage mince. The one's made with pork mice just don't have the sausage roll taste. I have tried it with many different types of mince but have gone back to sausage mince

View attachment 27114

View attachment 27115

It's really not fair they look delicious, bit far for me.

Reactions: Ezzy
I make mine with 50% pork and veal mince, and 50% sausage meat.
mixed together in large bowl, adding finely diced onion, and some grated carrot!!
mix together, adding some dried herbs, and some panko bread crumbs (this will absorb any fat from the mince), roll into a log shape, place on thawed puff pastry sheet cut in half, roll pastry around the meat, making sure the pastry join is on the bottom. cut into size sausage roll you want, cook in hot oven until pastry is golden and flaky. sometimes i will add grated cheese on top of the mince before i wrap it in pastry, or add paprika, or other spices, for a variation!! Enjoy

Reactions: Ezzy and Halona
I make mine with 50% pork and veal mince, and 50% sausage meat.
mixed together in large bowl, adding finely diced onion, and some grated carrot!!
mix together, adding some dried herbs, and some panko bread crumbs (this will absorb any fat from the mince), roll into a log shape, place on thawed puff pastry sheet cut in half, roll pastry around the meat, making sure the pastry join is on the bottom. cut into size sausage roll you want, cook in hot oven until pastry is golden and flaky. sometimes i will add grated cheese on top of the mince before i wrap it in pastry, or add paprika, or other spices, for a variation!! Enjoy
I've been making them for donkey years, similar to yours, but my ratio would be 70% sausage meat and 30 mince (I never measure, just guess work), sometime add fresh herbs as well - but always add a very good squirt of tomato sauce. This how my Dad and My Uncle made theirs - they were both excellent cooks. I have been experamenting a bit lately trying different flavours. Green Curry paste and the other Grumpy Garys Garliky Smoky BBQ Sauce...both lovely but you can't beat a proper Sausage Roll :)

Reactions: DavidC57 and Ezzy
I've been making them for donkey years, similar to yours, but my ratio would be 70% sausage meat and 30 mince (I never measure, just guess work), sometime add fresh herbs as well - but always add a very good squirt of tomato sauce. This how my Dad and My Uncle made theirs - they were both excellent cooks. I have been experamenting a bit lately trying different flavours. Green Curry paste and the other Grumpy Garys Garliky Smoky BBQ Sauce...both lovely but you can't beat a proper Sausage Roll :)
I believe my mother added tomato sauce to her mix as well. That goes back to about 1960 onwards. Must be a good additive for this mixture.

• Wow
Reactions: DavidC57
I believe my mother added tomato sauce to her mix as well. That goes back to about 1960 onwards. Must be a good additive for this mixture.
I like to add some Worchester Sauce to my mixture, it gives my sausage rolls a bit of a bite!!

Reactions: Ezzy