Find out what this Sexologist says about the myths surrounding sex and ageing

Disclaimer: This article is intended as an informative piece only, and does not replace medical advice from a health professional. Seek advice from your doctor if you have specific questions about your body and overall health.

We here at the SDC think it’s important to fight back against myths and common misconceptions. One of the most common myths we hear is that once you reach a certain age, you just don't feel like having sex anymore.

But one Sexologist said that perpetuating this false belief can do more harm than good.

In a new research commissioned by adult toy and lingerie store Wild Secrets, it was revealed that one in three people over the age of 65 are comfortable using sex toys, half agree that using toys maximises pleasure, and – overwhelmingly – older adults are ‘sick’ of people believing the myth that sex is not as enjoyable as you age.

Melbourne-based Sexologist Kassandra Mourikis, from Pleasure Centred Sexology, shared that sex is an important aspect of life as you age, and continuing to believe in the myth that older adults don’t want or enjoy sex is harmful.

1 (1).jpg
According to Kassandra, not having sex can be ‘harmful’. Credit: Alex Green in Pexels

In an interview, Kassandra claims that the myth surrounding sex and ageing can have ‘real-life medical consequences’.

‘It can result in a bias. The stigma may mean that older Australians don’t bring up sex with their doctor, or alternatively, that a doctor might not think to bring it up with them in an appointment,’ she explained.

According to the Sexologist, this can lead to health complications such as sexually transmitted infections (or STIs) being ignored or overlooked. Mental health challenges that come with being deprived of sex can lead to feelings of identity loss, especially if sex was a large part of their life.

Aside from enjoying intimacy and pleasure ‘just because’, Kassandra argued that sex has numerous health benefits that remain unchanged as someone moves through different stages of life. She explained that masturbation, partnered sex and orgasm can relieve stress and pain.

She added that with age comes wisdom – especially when it comes to sex. Older lovers might be better at expressing what they want and need and have a greater understanding of the importance of respecting boundaries. This all translates to deeper connection and intimacy levels.

tabitha.jpg
Older adults shouldn’t be embarrassed about their needs in the bedroom. Credit: Татьяна Танатова in Pexels

However, the Sexologist also warned that there are still risks associated with sex and ageing.

Kassandra said that there’s still a ‘widely-held belief’ that older people can’t contract STIs, which is not true.

‘No matter your age, if you’re having unprotected sex, you are at risk of contracting an STI,’ she claimed.

If there’s something abnormal going on with your body, it would be best to have it checked by your GP.

Another risk that older women might face is the fact that, after menopause, they experience vaginal atrophy. This is the thinning, drying and inflammation of the vaginal walls due to decreased estrogen levels in the body.

This means there’s less natural lubrication, which makes certain activities (like penetrative sex) less enjoyable.

For older men, erectile dysfunction is also common – and natural. But if it’s becoming a problem, a trip to the doctor can help you.

Lastly, the Sexologist advised everyone to ‘stick to positions that align with your abilities’ to avoid getting injured.

The most important point is that the desire for sex does not go away with age, despite what stereotypes and misconceptions have led you to believe.
Key Takeaways

• Contrary to popular belief, older adults do indeed like to have sex and can find it just as pleasurable as young adults.
  • Sex is an important aspect of life as you age and should not be shrouded in shame.
  • There are health benefits to having sex, including pain relief and improved mental health.
  • However, there are also risks associated with sex and ageing, such as the risk of physical injury.
  • It is important to have regular check-ups with your GP and to use protection if you are sexually active to avoid STIs.
What did you think about Kassandra’s advice, members? Let us know in the comments below! Also, please remember to have regular check-ups with your GP to make sure you’re staying healthy!

Sponsored
Of course I'm the first to reply.

I think you can enjoy intimacy at an older age.

we had a very enjoyable sex life and very adventurous, which is something you need to do to keep the passion burning

We are not so adventurous now, hubby has blood pressure and diabetes 2 and has a little bit of problem with erections and won't talk to the doctor and tells me for once not to talk to him either.

we still manage to be intimate where I might start off with an oil massage

Toys have always been a part of our intimacy

Funny I think we were most active in our 40s and early 50s basically every day now it's maybe once a week
Although you can be intimate without sex

Last edited:
Disclaimer: This article is intended as an informative piece only, and does not replace medical advice from a health professional. Seek advice from your doctor if you have specific questions about your body and overall health.

We here at the SDC think it’s important to fight back against myths and common misconceptions. One of the most common myths we hear is that once you reach a certain age, you just don't feel like having sex anymore.

But one Sexologist said that perpetuating this false belief can do more harm than good.

In a new research commissioned by adult toy and lingerie store Wild Secrets, it was revealed that one in three people over the age of 65 are comfortable using sex toys, half agree that using toys maximises pleasure, and – overwhelmingly – older adults are ‘sick’ of people believing the myth that sex is not as enjoyable as you age.

Melbourne-based Sexologist Kassandra Mourikis, from Pleasure Centred Sexology, shared that sex is an important aspect of life as you age, and continuing to believe in the myth that older adults don’t want or enjoy sex is harmful.

View attachment 8891
According to Kassandra, not having sex can be ‘harmful’. Credit: Alex Green in Pexels

In an interview, Kassandra claims that the myth surrounding sex and ageing can have ‘real-life medical consequences’.

‘It can result in a bias. The stigma may mean that older Australians don’t bring up sex with their doctor, or alternatively, that a doctor might not think to bring it up with them in an appointment,’ she explained.

According to the Sexologist, this can lead to health complications such as sexually transmitted infections (or STIs) being ignored or overlooked. Mental health challenges that come with being deprived of sex can lead to feelings of identity loss, especially if sex was a large part of their life.

Aside from enjoying intimacy and pleasure ‘just because’, Kassandra argued that sex has numerous health benefits that remain unchanged as someone moves through different stages of life. She explained that masturbation, partnered sex and orgasm can relieve stress and pain.

She added that with age comes wisdom – especially when it comes to sex. Older lovers might be better at expressing what they want and need and have a greater understanding of the importance of respecting boundaries. This all translates to deeper connection and intimacy levels.

View attachment 8892
Older adults shouldn’t be embarrassed about their needs in the bedroom. Credit: Татьяна Танатова in Pexels

However, the Sexologist also warned that there are still risks associated with sex and ageing.

Kassandra said that there’s still a ‘widely-held belief’ that older people can’t contract STIs, which is not true.

‘No matter your age, if you’re having unprotected sex, you are at risk of contracting an STI,’ she claimed.

If there’s something abnormal going on with your body, it would be best to have it checked by your GP.

Another risk that older women might face is the fact that, after menopause, they experience vaginal atrophy. This is the thinning, drying and inflammation of the vaginal walls due to decreased estrogen levels in the body.

This means there’s less natural lubrication, which makes certain activities (like penetrative sex) less enjoyable.

For older men, erectile dysfunction is also common – and natural. But if it’s becoming a problem, a trip to the doctor can help you.

Lastly, the Sexologist advised everyone to ‘stick to positions that align with your abilities’ to avoid getting injured.

The most important point is that the desire for sex does not go away with age, despite what stereotypes and misconceptions have led you to believe.
Key Takeaways

• Contrary to popular belief, older adults do indeed like to have sex and can find it just as pleasurable as young adults.
  • Sex is an important aspect of life as you age and should not be shrouded in shame.
  • There are health benefits to having sex, including pain relief and improved mental health.
  • However, there are also risks associated with sex and ageing, such as the risk of physical injury.
  • It is important to have regular check-ups with your GP and to use protection if you are sexually active to avoid STIs.
What did you think about Kassandra’s advice, members? Let us know in the comments below! Also, please remember to have regular check-ups with your GP to make sure you’re staying healthy!
You know what they say: old enough to know better, but too young to resist! 😂👍

For older men, erectile dysfunction is also common – and natural. But if it’s becoming a problem, a trip to the doctor can help you. Another generalization! There are many causes for erectile dysfunction, many forms, and some occasional solutions. Seeing a doctor isn't much point these days - they frequently don't know much about the solutions. Find me a doctor who can and find me a urologist who can do a successful prostate transplant.

Sex plays an important part in a lot of relationships. As one ages the frequency may be reduced. But quality of sex can be maintained although not the quantity. What was being done 5-6 days a week can be maintained 1 to 2-days a week which is still acceptable. It also adds to the feeling of closeness to your partner which is really important.
They say that the blue pill can help older men. At this stage I do not have to take it but one day maybe I will need it.
Hi hdhensel, I don't know about prostate transplant but a Urologist can certainly "sculpt" i.e. reduce the size of prostate through surgery. They don't need to cut you open these days but go through the penis using a laser to do their stuff. I did not ask for too many details as it kind of gives me creeps. I had it done about 10 months ago and it certainly made a difference to the prostate issue. I don't have to urinate every 5 minutes just every 10 minutes now. :D

It is easy to think that THAT side of your life is over when you retire but the need for intamacy never goes away it is just put on the back burner for a time. I am a case to look at as I am over 80 & have a 51-year-old lover. It is just a spur-of-the-moment thing with us as we are neighbours. So we don't plan anything just when the urge takes us. My doctor is all in favour of this for me as it keeps me interested in life. I know there are many who will not agree with this but they don't count in my life!

Of course I'm the first to reply.

I think you can rmenjoy intimacy at an older age.

we had a very enjoyable sex life and very adventurous, which is something you needed to do to keep the passion burning

We are not so adventurous now, hubby has blood pressure and diabetes 2 and has a little bit of problem with erections and won't talk to the doctor and tells me for once not to talk to him either.

we still manage to be intimate where I might start off with an oil massage

Toys have always been
Funny I think we were most active in our 40s and early 50s basically every day now it's maybe once a week

It is easy to think that THAT side of your life is over when you retire but the need for intamacy never goes away it is just put on the back burner for a time. I am a case to look at as I am over 80 & have a 51-year-old lover. It is just a spur-of-the-moment thing with us as we are neighbours. So we don't plan anything just when the urge takes us. My doctor is all in favour of this for me as it keeps me interested in life. I know there are many who will not agree with this but they don't count in my life!
You are 2 consenting adults. As long as your happy then there is nothing wrong.
Hope you are practising safe sex.

I'm going to ask you a question that I hope you don't take it wrong, is he trustworthy ? Does he ask for anything in return or is it all a friends with benefits on both your sides .
I hope he isn't taking advantage of you !

Reactions: Jennie
Way to go Nana,
I agree the need for SEX never goes away it just changes,
What We used to do all night now takes all night to do, But I no complain !!

Sex plays an important part in a lot of relationships. As one ages the frequency may be reduced. But quality of sex can be maintained although not the quantity. What was being done 5-6 days a week can be maintained 1 to 2-days a week which is still acceptable. It also adds to the feeling of closeness to your partner which is really important.
They say that the blue pill can help older men. At this stage I do not have to take it but one day maybe I will need it.
Hi hdhensel, I don't know about prostate transplant but a Urologist can certainly "sculpt" i.e. reduce the size of prostate through surgery. They don't need to cut you open these days but go through the penis using a laser to do their stuff. I did not ask for too many details as it kind of gives me creeps. I had it done about 10 months ago and it certainly made a difference to the prostate issue. I don't have to urinate every 5 minutes just every 10 minutes now. :D
hi SENOR, Thanks you for joining in. Yours is a different issue. I developed aggressive prostate cancer in my young age and it needed to be removed. Caught it all but at a cost. I should have pursued the cryogenic surgery but was told that for my case it probably wouldn't work. Regrets. Had a number of scientific colleagues who worked with me also got the cancer and were operated on in Canberra. All had problems later on. I was done on the Gold Coast and have had no recurrence. But my side-effects are undesirable. The blue pill does not work where the blood flow has been surgically modified. The comment about the prostate transplant was a joke - not possible !

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've been telling my husband for ages to go to the doctor , he gets up maybe 10 times a night to use the bathroom, he has trouble holding it and sometimes can't go even though he feels like he has to go
I don't get why some men are afraid to go to the doctor

Reactions: Jennie and Senor
This thread make my heart smile! We oldies have still got it! Hubby likes to quote the ”quality not quantity” thing to our horrified kids who all feel that sex in our 60s and 70s is disgusting. Sure,it’s not as often….we’re not rabbits….but it’s all about loving and touching and intimacy. I think so,anyway. A loving touch is worth a million words.

View attachment 8891

View attachment 8892

Key Takeaways

I am in my 70s and sex is the last thing on my mind!!

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540
hi SENOR, Thanks you for joining in. Yours is a different issue. I developed aggressive prostate cancer in my young age and it needed to be removed. Caught it all but at a cost. I should have pursued the cryogenic surgery but was told that for my case it probably wouldn't work. Regrets. Had a number of scientific colleagues who worked with me also got the cancer and were operated on in Canberra. All had problems later on. I was done on the Gold Coast and have had no recurrence. But my side-effects are undesirable. The blue pill does not work where the blood flow has been surgically modified. The comment about the prostate transplant was a joke - not possible !
Hi hdhensel, Sorry to hear about the prostate issues. I wish you all the best. My comment was not meant to be insulting or degrading in any way.

Reactions: Jennie
Hi hdhensel, Sorry to hear about the prostate issues. I wish you all the best. My comment was not meant to be insulting or degrading in any way.
No problem at all. I have been advising a lot of men about the issues of prostate cancer. It has recently been quoted by a number of reputable sources that 1 in 7 seven men will develop prostate cancer. Many will die from it and many with die with it. Although there are no figures available but there is solid evidence that deaths due to the prostate (especially in the past) are very common. BUT not directly. When aggressive prostate cancer occurs it happens quite quickly. And in younger men. If the membrane holding the cancer in "bursts" , prostate cancer cells spread throughout the body. Some settle in the spine, some in the kidney, liver, stomach, colon, and anywhere else. It is in these locations that the cancer cells, initially from the prostate, attach and begin to grow. Eventually, these cells become a full-blown cancer of whatever organ they have attached to. Inevitably, these cancers cause death. But the prognosis is put down as stomach cancer or whatever organ cancer and not researched any further. It is very likely that a lot of cancers in the past have resulted from prostate cancer that has morphed into another cancer. After a prostatectomy, a good surgeon will monitor your PSA levels for at least 8 years before you are cleared of prostate cancer cells in your body. If you have any inkling that there is something amiss down there have some blood tests (first of all establish a baseline) and if at all elevated have the value carefully monitored. If something is not right, DON"T delay. You could be saving yourself from a terrible death. If it is caught early cryogenic surgery is the way to go.

I am in my late 60's and when I had the conversation with my Dr about erectile issues he did prescribe me a few blue pills with a lot of warnings about how to use and what to avoid. As I have much difficulty in swallowing any pill I need to crush and mix with honey, sort of takes the edge of the spontaneity somewhat. You need to plan a half hour in advance.
Now I have ceased using these blue pills as the blood pressure issues they caused are not great for me. I ended up with a small blood spot in my eye and had a years worth of issues with an eye specialist, to sort it out, so I must say be cautious, better to have a really good hug and cuddle than a heart attack or a blind eye.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've been telling my husband for ages to go to the doctor , he gets up maybe 10 times a night to use the bathroom, he has trouble holding it and sometimes can't go even though he feels like he has to go
I don't get why some men are afraid to go to the doctor
Tell him there is a solution available and it does not hurt much. Consult your GP who will refer you to the Urologist.

Well Suzanne, you would be a liar because any man who has had a biopsy taken will tell you how bloody painful it was

Well Suzanne, you would be a liar because any man who has had a biopsy taken will tell you how bloody painful it was
Excuse me !! I don't lie. And how in the hell xan I tell him it wouldn't hurt , he would ask me how do I know. My comment was a bit of sarcasm.
Maybe Senior never nent biopsy