Find out the huge problem with Woolworths' new trolleys that's causing a stir among shoppers

Woolworths, one of Australia's largest supermarket chains, has recently introduced a new line of shopping trolleys made from recycled plastic.

While the move is part of the company's commitment to sustainability, it has sparked criticism from customers who have encountered a series of issues with the new trolleys.

The new trolleys, made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE)—a material commonly used in milk and juice bottles—are part of Woolworths' efforts to reduce the use of new materials and give used plastic a second life.

However, the transition to these 'greener' trolleys has not been as smooth as the supermarket giant might have hoped.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 094207.png
Woolworths caused shopper outrage online with their new recycled trolleys, with some taking aim at their too-light weight. Image: Reddit

Customers have taken to social media to voice their concerns about the new trolleys.

One Queensland shopper shared their experience on social media, stating: 'The new Woolworths trolley has arrived. It’s lightweight and very easy to manoeuvre, downside it’s much smaller. You can’t load two green bags alongside one another. Also being lightweight, the wind just picks them up and throws them across the car park.'

Another said: ‘We’ve had these new trolleys at our Woolies for a while. They’re awful.’

‘Pro tip: don’t park near them on windy days. They’re so light that they roll out of the trolley bays and keep going until they hit something.’

A third wrote: ‘They’re too light honestly, I struggle with them just taking off on me with the smallest movement.’

One more added: ‘Apparently they’re much more prone to being blown about by the wind.’

Added another: ‘I was talking to someone who works in a supermarket once, and I mentioned these. He said they had too much trouble with the wind making them too hard to control.’

‘You could make the frame, where the wheels attach, heavier to compensate. But the frame on this looks very light.’

Another shopper said: ‘These have been at my Woolies for well over a year now—they come in half trolley, full size and the one with the seat for the children and of course classic wonky wheel variant.’

‘What I hate about them is they have no under tray, nor do they have a hook to let me string my reusable bags to them. The old ones had a metal loop in the middle of the back I could do this with.’

Despite the criticism, some Woolworths customers have praised the new trolleys.

'I welcome them, 90 per cent lighter than the others. Load them up and they’re p*** easy to manage,' said one shopper.

Another added: 'We’ve had them in SA for ages. And the baskets. They’re great!'

In response to the criticism, a Woolworths spokesperson shares their sentiments.

‘The majority of recycled HDPE is from milk bottles, but there is a percentage from other drink bottles like juice bottles,’ a Woolworths spokesperson said.

The plastic trolleys are replacing existing ‘aged, broken or need replacing’ steel trolleys and are being used in most Woolworths stores.

‘We’re working hard to grow greener for our customers and the environment,’ the spokesperson said.

‘Our recycled trolleys have been very popular with customers and are currently available in select stores. We plan to continue rolling them out to new stores over the coming years.’

‘These trolleys are made from recycled plastic and give used milk bottles a second life in our stores, while also reducing the use of new materials to create trolleys.’

Despite these issues, the move towards more sustainable shopping trolleys is a positive step.

However, this is not the first time that Woolie shoppers have been disappointed with the newly recycled trolleys as a woman was ‘very annoyed’ at the design and its ‘lack of children seats’ when she used the trolleys while shopping.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths shoppers have highlighted issues with the new recycled plastic trolleys, particularly that they are too light and can be blown across the car park by the wind.
  • The recycled trolleys, while environmentally friendlier, have drawn criticism for their smaller size and inability to accommodate two green bags side-by-side, or two children in the seat.
  • Some customers are unhappy that the new trolleys lack certain practical features, such as an under tray or a hook for hanging reusable bags.
  • Woolworths has responded to the criticism, stating that the trolleys have been popular with customers, and that they plan to continue rolling them out as part of their effort to become greener. The trolleys are made from HDPE, with a portion of the plastic coming from recycled milk bottles.

What are your thoughts on the new Woolworths trolleys? Have you encountered any issues? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
All they need to do now is follow in Aldi's footsteps and make people return the trolleys to the store so they're not left in carparks and around the streets ! A lot of lazy people out there. 😡🤬

Good initiative but they are smaller than the steel one and the hook on it isnt good wont hold your bags which then you put them in your trolley and u have less space its a design fail from me

Reactions: anouch
If they don't have an under rack, are you supposed to lift for example, potting mix and litter into the actual trolly. Can someone explain this part to me, please? Or do you just put it over the base's wheel. We haven't got them as yet.

Reactions: NotNats
If they don't have an under rack, are you supposed to lift for example, potting mix and litter into the actual trolly. Can someone explain this part to me, please? Or do you just put it over the base's wheel. We haven't got them as yet.
Sorry to say but everything has to go into the trolley. I also miss the little closed off area at the front of most metal trollies as that was the area that I always put my toxic NON_FOOD items

• Sad
Reactions: Gsr and Liz
Sorry to say but everything has to go into the trolley. I also miss the little closed off area at the front of most metal trollies as that was the area that I always put my toxic NON_FOOD items
Thank you for answering this. Not good for older people or people with back problems.:(

No hook for shopping bags, no child seat, smaller and to light. I was driving out and watched a couple being blown all over the place it was just luck they did not hit a car

Reactions: Gsr
I like the new trollys, only criticism is some jam together and are difficult to separate.

Reactions: Gsr
Oh FFS!!!! (sorry people) what wankers are let loose to design such a thing? I'm in Salisbury, South Australia and haven't had the pleasure, or not, of trying one out! I'm all for recycling and making them lightweight but come onnnnn, don't we have enough trouble with the current trollies damaging cars!!:mad::mad: Maybe from now on, we will now have to look out for being hit in the head with one, when it is a really windy day!
Progress......Pfft, a step backwards if you ask me and sorry to all the fellas out there, but do they even consult with females, when designing such things, hmmm, I don't think so!

Thank you for answering this. Not good for older people or people with back problems.:(
It's very sad - it's one of the reason why now I save up (time/money) to get these heavy items and then get home delivery. In the long run it's been worth the delivery charge to have these items brought to my front door or even inside the house. I also pick a time for the delivery when I know I will be home. That way when I go to the shops I'm only shopping for the smaller items or a few items.

Reactions: Gsr and Jennie
Reating the replies, I am glad I don't shop at Woolies. I hope that by the time Coles switches to these the bugs will have been ironed out. Home delivery is starting to look good, except for fruit and veg and meat. They require an 80k round trip to get decent produce at a reasonable price. IGA'S and Foodwork stores are too expensive and unsatisfactory produce in our country town.

Reactions: Gsr and PattiB
Have been using for a good while, yes they lack a few of the comforts of the metal trolley but I have grown to like them and it is especially noticeable when you visit another store, with the older type, just makes me think oh no not these heavy things again I for one are happy to have the pleasure of using them ( but could do with a drink holder for the coffee. Good effort Woolies.

All they need to do now is follow in Aldi's footsteps and make people return the trolleys to the store so they're not left in carparks and around the streets ! A lot of lazy people out there. 😡🤬
Coles and Woolworths have trolley collectors for this, so returning to the bays should suffice. Returning them to the supermarket will put trolley collectors out of work. For someone with two or three kids to manage while shopping, this is an extra thing to do and then another trip back through the carpark with children in tow through carparks that are becoming increasingly dangerous thanks to drivers zooming through them like a race track.

If you don’t like the trolleys try click & collect then you won’t be bothered by such things. Sometimes I’ll pop in store to pick up odds & ends that I like to select & also visit the bakery which is in the same complex, while my husband picks up the groceries. Works well for us.

Reactions: Gsr and Bunyip57
I have been using these for the last 2 years in Adelaide I have no complaints they are light and easy to use and there is no jamming of the wheels. Unfortunately they are still dirty and the supermarkets never ever clean them. I have noticed some supermarkets do not have any cleaning wipes anymore so we have nothing to clean them with. I always take my own wipes and clean the trolley before i use it.

Oh FFS!!!! (sorry people) what wankers are let loose to design such a thing? I'm in Salisbury, South Australia and haven't had the pleasure, or not, of trying one out! I'm all for recycling and making them lightweight but come onnnnn, don't we have enough trouble with the current trollies damaging cars!!:mad::mad: Maybe from now on, we will now have to look out for being hit in the head with one, when it is a really windy day!
Progress......Pfft, a step backwards if you ask me and sorry to all the fellas out there, but do they even consult with females, when designing such things, hmmm, I don't think so!
So you are complaining about something you haven’t used. Many older people find the more manageable

• Love
Reactions: elaine41 and PattiB