Find out how this thrifty Woolworths shopper feeds her family of four with delicious meals for just $60

The ongoing cost-of-living crisis has had an enormous economic impact on Australian households, with a lot of people being forced to live on smaller budgets. So, it's not surprising that households are trying to find more ways to be savvier with their shopping, using any tips and tricks they can find to save some money.

Fortunately, there are plenty of resources to help us with our saving needs.

Recently, a popular social media user, Brooke Schrempf-Dixon, known as Aussie Mum Cooks, delighted her followers by showing off her thrifty shopping and sharing how she feeds her family of four for under $60.

In a video she uploaded on social media, Brooke created a meal plan for the entire week for her family, consisting of two adults and two kids.

‘You have been asking for some more $10 meals for a quick, cheap and easy dinner. Here is my shopping and meal plan for the next six days,’ she wrote in her caption.

‘We will be doing six dinners for $60,’ she continued.

meal1.jpg
The mum delighted her followers by creating six meals for her family of four – all for under $60. Credit: Kristina Paukshtite/Pexels

To pull this off, she did her shopping at her local supermarket and was able to purchase enough materials to make the following six meals for the week:
  • Satay chicken
  • BBQ chicken sliders
  • Red Thai curry
  • Marinara pasta
  • Fish tacos
  • Apricot chicken
After completing her shop, her total bill amounted to $59.14. However, she said she was already using the peanut butter and the rice she had at home.

But with those included, the bill would still total over $63.

She also proudly showed off her receipt, which said that she bought 23 items in total in one grocery shop.

‘My son is going through a phase at the moment where he only eats rice, so three of those dishes will be rice dishes, but you can substitute them,’ she said in the video.

meal2.jpg
You can see how much she spent at the bottom of the receipt. Credit: aussiemumcooks/TikTok

She continued: ‘As soon as I get home, I always separate out my fish and my meat and write out my meal plan. We don’t always have [the meals] in that particular order, but it’s a really good visual to see what we have for the week.’

Brooke is continuously sharing the recipes for the meals she creates on her social media page as the week progresses.

Many of her social media followers were delighted with her helpful tips, including growing your own herbs and maximising what you already have in the fridge.

‘Love it,’ one said.

‘Growing your own herbs and/or food helps with the cost so much! I love using what I have and experimenting,’ another replied.

To which Brooke responded with: ‘Yes! Growing herbs is soo easy and an absolute necessity. Especially when they are charging $3 for a small bunch.’

‘Thank you so much for your videos! This is amazing and helps people out so much! My family are loving these meals,’ one wrote.

Someone else commented: ‘You’re so good at this! So helpful with the rising cost of living.’

You can watch her video below:

This $10 meal challenge is quite popular among social media users as the cost of everyday essentials has been increasing, and households across the country are struggling with their budgets.

This is because, over the past couple of years, the percentage of Aussies listing their top four expenses that create financial stress – housing, groceries, petrol, and energy – has increased.

Out of these four expenses, groceries have experienced the largest uptick, according to Finder’s cost of living report.

Based on their findings, 94 per cent of those surveyed noticed an increase in their weekly grocery shop. Consumers are spending an extra $37 per week on groceries and an additional $1,924 per year. The data also revealed that 43 per cent of consumers are stressed about grocery bills.

In a similar instance, one smart shopper also revealed how she was able to feed her family of four on a strict budget.

According to Kara Ashley, she picked up her haul of ingredients for only $9.84 and managed to create a delicious creamy tomato chicken pasta dish. The best part is that her budget-friendly dish makes plenty of leftovers for another meal! You can read more details about Kara’s resourcefulness here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie mum, Brooke Schrempf-Dixon, has become popular on social media for sharing her shopping and cooking tips.
  • She has created six meals for under $60 for her family of four, with a total grocery cost of $59.14.
  • Brooke shares her meal plan and recipes, encouraging others to be more cost-effective amid the cost-of-living crisis.
  • Australian households have seen a dramatic surge in grocery expenses as a cause of financial stress, increasing to 43 per cent in recent years.
Do you have any tips on how to save money while grocery shopping? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Best tips ..

meal plan
... also saves you stress on what to cook each day

Write a shopping list ... stick to your list this stops you forgetting items and over spending

Use up items you have at home.... saves on waste

Research budget recipes, you will be surprised

Plant a herb garden... it is easy to grown herbs which add flavour to your meals and alot of herbs are actually good for you.