How to turn a bargain grocery haul into a delicious and nutritious meal ($2.50 per serve)

Let's talk about one of the biggest challenges that many Australian families face - the rising cost of living. It seems like everything is getting more expensive, and it can be tough to make ends meet.

One of the most significant expenses for most families is groceries, and finding ways to save money on your weekly grocery bill is a top priority.

Don't worry; you're in luck because we've got some inspiration for you! We've stumbled upon a smart shopper who knows how to feed a family of four on a shoestring budget, and we can't wait to share her secrets with you.

Meet Kara Ashley - a savvy shopper who knows how to score an amazing deal at Coles.

She recently picked up a haul of ingredients for just $9.84, and with those budget-friendly ingredients, she managed to whip up a delicious and nutritious creamy tomato chicken pasta dish that's making our mouths water.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 12.45.53 PM.png
A Coles shopper revealed her secret to making her dollar go further by creating four meals for under $10. Credit: TikTok/karaaaashley.

So, what did Kara buy? Let's break it down for you:
  • One carrot - $0.34
  • One tin of crushed tomatoes with basil and oregano - $1.30
  • 400g chicken breast - $4.40
  • 500g bag of Coles home brand pasta - $1
  • Light thickened cream - $2.80

With just a handful of ingredients and a little bit of creativity, Kara was able to create a scrumptious, healthy chicken pasta dish. And it's only 425 calories per serving!

And the best part? Kara's budget-friendly chicken pasta dish makes plenty of leftovers for another meal! So not only is this recipe delicious and nutritious, but it's also a great way to stretch your food budget further.

Kara's resourcefulness in creating a budget-friendly yet delicious chicken pasta dish didn't go unnoticed among her fellow shoppers. Many took to the comments section to praise her and even shared their own tips and tweaks to make the meal even more cost-effective.

One user commented, 'I love this meal! I always add spinach, which I know makes it over $10 but still really cheap.' Another user suggested, 'This looks so good! And if you can't have meat/dairy, you can swap it for tofu and coconut cream (still under $10).'

'I made this for my meal prep this week, and I'm obsessed,' shared another user. It's clear that Kara's budget-friendly chicken pasta dish has become a hit among those who have tried it, and it's inspiring to see how it can be incorporated into meal prep routines for added convenience.

Kara's creative approach to grocery shopping and meal planning has certainly struck a chord with fellow shoppers, sparking a conversation about budget-friendly cooking ideas and ways to make the most of affordable ingredients.

It's a testament to how practical tips and delicious recipes can bring people together and help them save money while still enjoying tasty and nutritious meals.

Kara's innovative approach to cooking and budgeting is especially timely, given many households are grappling with the increasingly high cost of groceries.

According to Finder's latest cost of living report, the number of households citing groceries as a significant source of financial strain has risen dramatically over the past few years, with 43% of households citing groceries as a major cause of financial stress in March 2023 — a significant increase from around 20% in previous years.

At a time when so many Australians are struggling to make ends meet, it's heartening to see members of the community like Kara stepping up to offer practical solutions and share their expertise.

We can all learn from her creative and resourceful approach to cooking and budgeting, and hopefully, together, we can find ways to make our dollars stretch further when it comes to grocery shopping.

Key Takeaways

• A savvy shopper shared her budget-friendly Coles haul and recipe for a delicious creamy tomato chicken pasta, which has garnered praise from fellow shoppers for its affordability and taste.
  • It cost her only $9.84 and included ingredients such as carrots, crushed tomatoes, chicken breast, pasta, and light-thickened cream, which she used to create a scrumptious and nutritious chicken pasta dish.
  • In Australia, the rising cost of groceries is causing significant financial stress for households, with 43% citing it as a major source of financial strain in March 2023, according to Finder's latest cost of living report.

Kara's budget-friendly chicken pasta dish is a delicious and inspiring example of how we can all get creative in the kitchen while still saving money on groceries.

Her approach to shopping and meal planning shows us that there are many ways to eat well on a tight budget, from choosing affordable ingredients to making the most of leftovers.

What are your own strategies for saving money on groceries? Have you tried any budget-friendly recipes that you'd recommend to others? Share your thoughts and ideas in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm sorry but this recipe is so bland and I don't know how it would serve 4 adult people .
We should be having 150g of protein each person each day

I posted alot of budget and easy recipes yesterday

I love trying lots of different recipes and this one I wouldn't but in saying that you could make a few changes to make it eatable and still on a budget

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this recipe is so bland and I don't know how it would serve 4 adult people .
We should be having 150g each person.

I live trying lots of different recipes and this one I wouldn't but in saying that you could make a few changes to make it eatable and still on a budget
NPD in full swing

I live alone and am on a pension so l often make meals with mince.
500grams of beef or pork well browned
add frozen peas carrots and corn
mushrooms and any tomato’s that need using up or a can of diced.
Diced potato and sweet potato microwaved first.
Two oxo cubes and sometimes a heaped teaspoon of curry powder, salt and pepper.
For me this makes several meals that freeze well.

I live alone and am on a pension so l often make meals with mince.
500grams of beef or pork well browned
add frozen peas carrots and corn
mushrooms and any tomato’s that need using up or a can of diced.
Diced potato and sweet potato microwaved first.
Two oxo cubes and sometimes a heaped teaspoon of curry powder, salt and pepper.
For me this makes several meals that freeze well.
Now that sounds good. If you used what you make then add mashed potato on top and bake in the oven you will have a shepherds pie. Just a suggestion for variety and that Freezes well too. Or swap the potato mash with sweet potato mash or even half potato and half pumpkin .

Have you tried adding a dash of worsteshire sauce

I live on my own but most of the recipes have tomato pasta garlic in them and I cant eat them they dont agree with me but I do do ok I like soups in the winter and a good old stew go a long way so does mince you can always as someone said put potato or sweet potato or pumpkin or al of then you can make rissoles jut put in a lot of veg then the mince goes a long way I have had lamb mince I got it on special and the rissoles jut tasted like a lamb roast very nice

As I never eat anything in the pasta range it is not for me thanks. I am off to get my 16 meat meals from Aldi along with all my other pension day purchases. There will only be 2 packs of mince in that lot Pork & Veal from Aldi is the tastiest one out there although I never eat it myself!

Not so sure how cheap this dish is any more re cost of condensed soups and mince …. but here goes.

MAZERTI (aka Maserati in our house)

Small cond. Cream of Tomato - Small cond. Cream of Mushroom - Lge chopped Onion - 400gm Beef Mince - 200gm Grated Cheddar - Pkt Pasta (any shape)

Brown onion & mince - Add condensed soups straight from can - Add grated cheese. Cook pasta and fold through mince mixture in large casserole dish. Pop into oven covered for approx 30 mins or until heated through.

Mince and cheese quantities can be varied, and it can be portioned and frozen too. 👍

Reactions: TheBear and Milica
Not so sure how cheap this dish is any more re cost of condensed soups and mince …. but here goes.

MAZERTI (aka Maserati in our house)

Small cond. Cream of Tomato - Small cond. Cream of Mushroom - Lge chopped Onion - 400gm Beef Mince - 200gm Grated Cheddar - Pkt Pasta (any shape)

Brown onion & mince - Add condensed soups straight from can - Add grated cheese. Cook pasta and fold through mince mixture in large casserole dish. Pop into oven covered for approx 30 mins or until heated through.

Mince and cheese quantities can be varied, and it can be portioned and frozen too. 👍
Now that sounds better and wouldn't cost much more than original recipe

Reactions: TheBear
We should be having 150g of protein each person each day

I love trying lots of different recipes and this one I wouldn't but in saying that you could make a few changes to make it eatable and still on a budget
meow

• Wow
Reactions: TheBear