Status
Not open for further replies.

Financial relief is coming: Centrelink announces cost-of-living increase for JobSeeker, Youth Allowance, and Partnered Parenting Payment

Millions of Australians feeling the pressure of rising living costs will soon enjoy a boost to their finances.

The most extensive set of permanent Centrelink payment increases (outside of the COVID-19 pandemic) in the last 14 years are set to start flowing through from the 20th of September.

These payments are expected to help over 1 million people on income support.

Australian Treasurer Jim Chalmers said people across the country were 'under the pump', as inflation remains steady this month according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics—up 4.9 per cent in July but down from 5.4 per cent the month prior.

compressed-1 (2).jpeg
JobSeeker, Youth Allowance and partnered parenting allowances will increase on September 20. Credit: F Photography R/Shutterstock

Starting September 20, the cost of living relief will see a $40 increase in payment each fortnight for around 782,000 people on JobSeeker, approximately 222,000 Australians on Youth Allowance, and about 64,000 families on Partnered Parenting payments.

Single parents in the country will get a bigger helping hand than ever, with sole parenting payments set to extend to children until the age of 14 instead of when their youngest child turns 8.

Over 57,000 families in sole parenting payments are estimated to benefit from an extra $176.90 a fortnight.

The 1.1 million Australian households receiving Commonwealth rent assistance will also receive a 15 per cent increase to the maximum rate–the largest increase in over 30 years and the rise in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on the 20th.

This additional relief is estimated to cost the government $4.7 billion.

The Treasurer said these measures are 'What people need when they need it most' and that they won’t add to inflation.

On the 1st of September, millions of Australians living with chronic health conditions will also be able to take advantage of a 60-day dispensing period for certain medications–effectively halving the cost of their medicines.

compressed-2 (1).jpeg
Australians with chronic health conditions will have a 60-day dispensing period for certain medications. Credit: Golden Brown/Shutterstock

Health Minister Mark Butler said cheaper medications will help Australians with their health and are 'good for the hip pocket'.

'Pensioners with a heart condition, children with Crohn's disease, veterans with high cholesterol, mothers with osteoporosis and fathers with high blood pressure will get important cost of living relief,' he said.

Mr Butler continued: 'Every single Australian will benefit from the freeing up of millions of much-needed general practitioner (GP) visits, so our doctors have more time to diagnose and treat conditions, instead of simply issuing routine, repeat scripts.'

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth claimed Labor was making good on its commitment to 'build a strong social security safety net' for those who needed it.

'We will always work to provide a strong safety net for Australians when they need it most,' she shared.

These measures rolling out this month are on the heels of a series of interventions in July, which includes a 15 per cent pay increase for 250,000 aged care workers, cheaper child care for 1.2 million families, and power bill relief for lower-income households and businesses.

Key Takeaways
  • From September 20, cost of living measures will benefit over a million Australians, with the largest set of permanent increases in 14 years to JobSeeker, Youth Allowance, and the Partnered Parenting payment.
  • Single parents will continue to receive assistance until their youngest child turns 14, instead of the current age of 8, and those receiving Commonwealth rent assistance will see a 15 per cent increase to the maximum rate.
  • Health Minister Mark Butler announced that Australians with chronic health conditions can now access 60-day dispensing for certain medications, reducing their cost by half.
  • These measures follow a series of initiatives launched in July, including cheaper childcare for 1.2 million families, a 15 per cent pay rise for 250,000 aged care workers, and power bill relief for lower-income households and businesses.

We’re sure this news is precisely what many members needed to hear, especially amid the rising costs of food, electricity, petrol and healthcare.

What do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I find your reply insulting littleboy8. Where were there any dirty remarks in this post? I'm a pensioner too, and it seems that single mothers, some of whom only got pregnant to get the money, seem to have become welfare dependent. Why are they getting more increases in their payments than someone who has worked their backsides off for over 50 years gets a slap in the face every time there is a puny pension increase? I've had to close my super account to survive, what do you know about surviving on less than 1/3 of a normal weekly wage? nothing I'm betting.
Spreading there legs come on thats disgusting are you a dirty old man too😂

Reactions: Trudi
Sorry I’m just a 65 year old disabled woman who uses a wheelie walker on the lousy jobseeker payment who has to get medical certificates every 2 months from my wonderful male doctor. My beautiful family are in the process of getting me on disability benefits and cheaper rental rather than paying $375.00 a week out of my miserly payment. They pay for most of my bills food Uber for appts etc. and yes I worked from 14 years of age also worked all my life. I hate it when people put young people down and no I don’t have kids. So stick that up your keyser you silly old fool.regards Caroline aka littleboy8
What about blokes being dole bludgers why pick on women and who gets the girls preggo so they can both get welfare payments😁me thinks you don’t like women

I find your reply insulting littleboy8. Where were there any dirty remarks in this post? I'm a pensioner too, and it seems that single mothers, some of whom only got pregnant to get the money, seem to have become welfare dependent. Why are they getting more increases in their payments than someone who has worked their backsides off for over 50 years gets a slap in the face every time there is a puny pension increase? I've had to close my super account to survive, what do you know about surviving on less than 1/3 of a normal weekly wage? nothing I'm betting.
littleboy8 was quite correct with her comment! It is YOUR attitude towards women that is not only disgusting, but unacceptable!!! Your tirade is against women, but what about the MEN that are creating single mothers?

I was 19 when I gave birth to my oldest son back in 1966. And I was single, thanks to that arsehole that was my son's "father"! In 1969 I arrived in Australia with my then not quite 3 year old son. I worked. I married a year after arriving and had two daughters and except for the first two years when we lived at a mine, I worked! You have no idea of how much flak I was getting because I, a married woman, dared to be in the workforce - especially from MEN!!! Those wonderful examples of Australian manhood repeatedly told me that they did not "permit" their wives to work.

The marriage ended in 1971 and I was left with supporting the kids on my own - no financial contribution from the "devoted" father of my two daughters - apparently he didn't want any kids but forgot to tell me that before we were married. I worked and luckily I had a good job and was able to purchase a home for the kids and myself. I worked and raised my kids.

10 years later I re-married and had another child. That marriage lasted a couple of years and at the end of it, I was almost bankrupted thanks to that "wonderful" man. I worked and concentrated on raising my youngest son. I also made several work related moves to different states within Australia and every time I moved, I bought a house and kept the previous one/s until I owned 4 rental properties plus my own home. I have since sold two of the rental properties.

I also put as much money as I could into superannuation and now, in my retirement I do not receive a single cent of the age pension!

So who the heck do you think you are to talk so disrespectfully about single mothers? As I stated above, without men, there would not be any single mothers.

Reactions: Littleboy8
not only are the elderly the most vulnerable people about covert its too bad that everytime the govt screws us its a shame we cannot have kids and get the same increases as single paents or get a more comfortable chair to sit on my arse and get rewarded for doing nothing SINGLE PARENTS 5 /6 TIMES MORE THAN PENSIONERS AND DOLLIES NEARLY DOUBLE
RATHER THAN WORK ALL MY LIFE ANDPAY TAXES I SHOULD SPREAD MY LEGS AND HAVE CHILDREN EVERY 14 YEARS SO I CAN NOT ONLY GET THE PENSION ALL MY LIFE I WILL HAVE CHILDREN THAT WILL GO ON THE DOLE EVENTUALLY AND LETS FACE IT HOW MANY MISTAKES DOES IT TAKE TO STAY ON WELFARE OR NOT FIND ANY KIND OF WORK
By the way, MY CHILDREN and I are paying for YOUR PENSION!!!

Keep that in mind as well when you abuse single mothers!

Last edited:
littleboy8 was quite correct with her comment! It is YOUR attitude towards women that is not only disgusting, but unacceptable!!! Your tirade is against women, but what about the MEN that are creating single mothers?

I was 19 when I gave birth to my oldest son back in 1966. And I was single, thanks to that arsehole that was my son's "father"! In 1969 I arrived in Australia with my then not quite 3 year old son. I worked. I married a year after arriving and had two daughters and except for the first two years when we lived at a mine, I worked! You have no idea of how much flak I was getting because I, a married woman, dared to be in the workforce - especially from MEN!!! Those wonderful examples of Australian manhood repeatedly told me that they did not "permit" their wives to work.

The marriage ended in 1971 and I was left with supporting the kids on my own - no financial contribution from the "devoted" father of my two daughters - apparently he didn't want any kids but forgot to tell me that before we were married. I worked and luckily I had a good job and was able to purchase a home for the kids and myself. I worked and raised my kids.

10 years later I re-married and had another child. That marriage lasted a couple of years and at the end of it, I was almost bankrupted thanks to that "wonderful" man. I worked and concentrated on raising my youngest son. I also made several work related moves to different states within Australia and every time I moved, I bought a house and kept the previous one/s until I owned 4 rental properties plus my own home. I have since sold two of the rental properties.

I also put as much money as I could into superannuation and now, in my retirement I do not receive a single cent of the age pension!

So who the heck do you think you are to talk so disrespectfully about single mothers? As I stated above, without men, there would not be any single mothers.
Thankyou for telling us your story you are a remarkable strong woman 😁

Not me . I am married. I only get HALF the single persons pension. As the wife is on Job Seeker😡😡Add the two together doesnt come close to the married couples pension😡😡
well have a couple of kids and hit for maintenance and rent relief like most single parents and you will get more than pensioners and if you add rent relief and no council rates and no car expenses then on the dole you will get more than a single aged pensioner

• Angry
By the way, MY CHILDREN and I are paying for YOUR PENSION!!!

Keep that in mind as well when you abuse single mothers!
how many of you single mothers havr worked over 59 years or worked at all and it is our generation that payed taxes all our lives NOT YOU
HOW do you pay taxes and what do your children contribute and you must have a guity concience as i said single parents not women DID you have children with a plan to look after them or not What would you do if there is no pension for you and your children like us oldies

there was no centrelink in our day

• Haha
ITS up to thE women wether they have children or not
WHEN a man wants sex and the woman does not say yes then its rape
IFshe says yes then if she is not on some sort of contraceptive and does not make the man wear a condom then she is asking for trouble and giving the man a 18 year %18 of his income before tax headache JUST SAY NO IS MUCH EASIER %92 of single parents are women

• Haha
Did you ever get maintenance from any of the fathers and why did u have a child at 19 out of wedlock
DIDyou get half of everything when you separated HAVE u ever got centrelinc payment and how could you afford to buy 4 places with children to look after LET all the single parents know how u did that so they can do the same
after all tell the whole story how you got your money from to buy 4 houses at the age of nearly 80 without support from how many fathers and how many of them fathers agreed with you to have children

how many of you single mothers havr worked over 59 years or worked at all and it is our generation that payed taxes all our lives NOT YOU
HOW do you pay taxes and what do your children contribute and you must have a guity concience as i said single parents not women DID you have children with a plan to look after them or not What would you do if there is no pension for you and your children like us oldies

there was no centrelink in our day
For your information, I am 76 years old and I retired ten years ago at the age of 66! As I stated in my earlier post, I arrived in Australia as a migrant with my not quite 3 yo son in 1969 when I was 22 years old. I worked until I married and we lived at a mining site. Two years later we moved and I went back to work.

As for why I had a child when I was 19, apart from the fact that it isn't any of your business, let me say that it was certainly not planned and I never told my son's father.

No, I did not "get half of everything", all I asked for was a half share of the INCREASE IN VALUE of the home we had purchased together, keeping in mind that I was earning more than the ex and contributed a LARGER share to the household expenses than he did! Other than that, I took what I purchased with MY money and any gifts I received from my side of the family. I returned every gift he gave me during the 11 years of marriage, there was nothing I wanted to keep! I was the SOLE supporter of my children!

No, I have not received any payments from Centrelink, I supported my children on MY OWN!! I guess it helped that I am an accountant and was on pretty good income throughout my working life.

I vacated my home in Perth when I moved interstate and I accessed the equity in my home to purchase the next home. I repeated this process when three more times with the last move into my current home. As I said, I have sold two of the properties and have paid off all loans on the remaining three properties (including my current home)

As I stated above, I am 76 years old and do not receive an age pension because of my investment properties. Instead I pay taxes on my income and my 2022 tax bill was over $30,000 because I sold a property!

As for my children, my oldest son is 57 years old, he used to work for a bank and is now a mortgage broker. He is divorced with two adult children and is now in a relationship with a teacher. They own an up-market home.

My older daugher is 52, she works for the WA public service, is single with three cats and owns her home.

My younger daugher is 50, she is married with three children, she and her husband run a farm breeding sheep bloodstock. She also works in Human Resources for a company that owns numerous farms in every state in Australia.

My youngest son is 33, he is a software engineer for one of the 4 major banks, he is in a relatlionship with a young woman who has an arts degree, they have a dog and live in Melbourne.

So do you think I and my children "contribute" enough????

Why would I have a "guilty conscience"? For what? I have four great children and five fantastic grandchildren - what reason would I have to feel guilty??????

I repeat again, I DO NOT RECEIVE ANY PENSION, NOR DID I RECEIVE ANY CENTRELINK/SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS AS A SINGLE MOTHER!!!

ITS up to thE women wether they have children or not
WHEN a man wants sex and the woman does not say yes then its rape
IFshe says yes then if she is not on some sort of contraceptive and does not make the man wear a condom then she is asking for trouble and giving the man a 18 year %18 of his income before tax headache JUST SAY NO IS MUCH EASIER %92 of single parents are women
You are a complete and utter idiot!

For your information, I am 76 years old and I retired ten years ago at the age of 66! As I stated in my earlier post, I arrived in Australia as a migrant with my not quite 3 yo son in 1969 when I was 22 years old. I worked until I married and we lived at a mining site. Two years later we moved and I went back to work.

As for why I had a child when I was 19, apart from the fact that it isn't any of your business, let me say that it was certainly not planned and I never told my son's father.

No, I did not "get half of everything", all I asked for was a half share of the INCREASE IN VALUE of the home we had purchased together, keeping in mind that I was earning more than the ex and contributed a LARGER share to the household expenses than he did! Other than that, I took what I purchased with MY money and any gifts I received from my side of the family. I returned every gift he gave me during the 11 years of marriage, there was nothing I wanted to keep! I was the SOLE supporter of my children!

No, I have not received any payments from Centrelink, I supported my children on MY OWN!! I guess it helped that I am an accountant and was on pretty good income throughout my working life.

I vacated my home in Perth when I moved interstate and I accessed the equity in my home to purchase the next home. I repeated this process when three more times with the last move into my current home. As I said, I have sold two of the properties and have paid off all loans on the remaining three properties (including my current home)

As I stated above, I am 76 years old and do not receive an age pension because of my investment properties. Instead I pay taxes on my income and my 2022 tax bill was over $30,000 because I sold a property!

As for my children, my oldest son is 57 years old, he used to work for a bank and is now a mortgage broker. He is divorced with two adult children and is now in a relationship with a teacher. They own an up-market home.

My older daugher is 52, she works for the WA public service, is single with three cats and owns her home.

My younger daugher is 50, she is married with three children, she and her husband run a farm breeding sheep bloodstock. She also works in Human Resources for a company that owns numerous farms in every state in Australia.

My youngest son is 33, he is a software engineer for one of the 4 major banks, he is in a relatlionship with a young woman who has an arts degree, they have a dog and live in Melbourne.

So do you think I and my children "contribute" enough????

Why would I have a "guilty conscience"? For what? I have four great children and five fantastic grandchildren - what reason would I have to feel guilty??????

I repeat again, I DO NOT RECEIVE ANY PENSION, NOR DID I RECEIVE ANY CENTRELINK/SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS AS A SINGLE MOTHER!!!
Block these arseholes I did now I don’t have to read thier bullshit🤮

im an idiot so what are u
do you work for a living
do you have children that work for a living
I doubt it
We had this discussion before!
I DID work for a living until I retired at the age of 66.
All of my children work for a living.

We had this discussion before!
I DID work for a living until I retired at the age of 66.
All of my children work for a living.
I told you to block him he’s a moronic pig or report him. He’ll just keep droning on and on.🙀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×