Financial pressures spark rise in 'DIY' pet treatments, vets warn of potential dangers

As the cost of living keeps increasing, Australian households are getting creative to save some cash. However, there's one worrisome trend that's got experts a bit concerned: the rise in DIY pet treatments.

At the SDC, we value every family member, including our adorable furry friends. After all, there's nothing quite like the unconditional love of a good pet to keep us company and brighten our days.

With the rising popularity of DIY in various aspects of our lives (because who can resist the joy of home improvement or the aroma of freshly baked homemade sourdough?), it appears that this trend has also found its way into some people's pet care routines.

While treating our adorable canines to homemade biscuits might result in their tails wagging with delight, taking on the role of a 'pet doctor' and attempting to address their medical needs ourselves is a matter that deserves some concern.

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 2.50.55 PM.png
The cost of living and financial stress is causing many Australians to forgo professional vet care for their pets. Credit: Shutterstock.

One such case is Chrystal, a mum-of-four, who, to survive her financial struggles, has refrained from professional veterinary services for her two dogs for five years.

Chrystal, who preferred not to disclose her surname, didn't shy away from the stark reality of her situation, 'I can't visit the vet because I don't have the finances. They probably need vaccinations, and they probably need surgery.'

She was referring to her 15-year-old border collie cross and a 13-year-old cavoodle (a hybrid of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a Poodle).

Chrystal's choice was born out of desperation; she was sandwiched between mounting bills with no savings when her dog fell sick.

The cavoodle had developed a 7-centimetre gash leaking with pus, which she suspected was a ruptured cyst. She dug out some old dog antibiotics from a previous vet visit to treat it, supplemented with saltwater and diluted Betadine.

'It is hard. It's embarrassing,' Chrystal admitted. 'I'd have to go into significant debt to get my dog looked at. If I had to, I would. But if I can avoid it…I do.'

However, as sensible as Chrystal's reason may seem from an economic standpoint, veterinary professionals warn against such practice.

Our four-legged companions hold a special place in our hearts, and we naturally want to care for them to the best of our abilities. But sometimes, in our well-intentioned enthusiasm, we might inadvertently venture into risky territory.

That's where Dr Mark Sycamnias, a veterinary surgeon from Central Victoria, steps in, urging us to resist becoming 'makeshift' DIY veterinarians.

He argued that tinkering with the health of our furry friends without proper training and expertise can lead to unintended consequences. After all, just as we wouldn't attempt to perform surgery on ourselves, it's best to leave the complex medical stuff to the professionals.

'I've seen animals die from people giving them human medications,' he said.

He shared a rather alarming incident involving a client who gave her pet dog arthritis medication meant for humans. This medication was specifically designed for people, considering an average person's weight and size. Unfortunately, the poor little dog in question weighed just 4 kilograms and, as a result, tragically bled to death.

Dr Sycamnias has also noticed a trend among pet owners lately. They are becoming savvier when it comes to veterinary services, looking for more budget-friendly options. Some are even willing to travel long distances to rural areas where they can access lower-cost care for their beloved pets.

However, not all pet owners can overcome the cost barriers, leading to some heart-wrenching decisions. Some owners found themselves facing the difficult choice of opting for euthanasia rather than expensive surgeries and treatments.

Dr Sycamnias explained that when regular veterinary check-ups slip down the priority list, pets become more susceptible to developing chronic conditions. This, unfortunately, can result in prolonged and often unnecessary suffering for our furry companions.

It's a reminder of just how important regular check-ups and preventive care are in keeping our pets happy and healthy.

Key Takeaways

• People are resorting to DIY pet treatments due to financial pressures and rising costs of vet care.
  • Veterinarians are concerned that more pet owners are choosing euthanasia over expensive treatments.
  • Pet owners are travelling hours to seek more affordable vet care, highlighting the impact of high vet costs.
  • Vets strongly disapprove of 'home vet' treatments, stating this could be dangerous and potentially lethal for the pets.

Our pets not only need love and cuddles from us, but they also require appropriate care and medical attention because, after all, their health is also important.

So, next time when Whiskers appears unusually quiet, or Fido refuses to play fetch, remember to consult a professional. Always remember that quality pet care today means more joy and less worry tomorrow!

We'd love to hear from you, dear members. Share your experiences or tips for managing your pet care routine, maybe a cute fur-baby story of your own. Leave a comment below!

Sponsored
I can't get into a Vet in Tasmania because their books are full, we obviously have a shortage. I was a client in Legana but it got sold and because I don't visit regularly they dropped my name very unfair. My cats are totally indoors so they don't need vaccinations or worm meds hence I don't see a vet very often. BUT I should still be on the books.

As the cost of living keeps increasing, Australian households are getting creative to save some cash. However, there's one worrisome trend that's got experts a bit concerned: the rise in DIY pet treatments.

At the SDC, we value every family member, including our adorable furry friends. After all, there's nothing quite like the unconditional love of a good pet to keep us company and brighten our days.

With the rising popularity of DIY in various aspects of our lives (because who can resist the joy of home improvement or the aroma of freshly baked homemade sourdough?), it appears that this trend has also found its way into some people's pet care routines.

While treating our adorable canines to homemade biscuits might result in their tails wagging with delight, taking on the role of a 'pet doctor' and attempting to address their medical needs ourselves is a matter that deserves some concern.

View attachment 24364
The cost of living and financial stress is causing many Australians to forgo professional vet care for their pets. Credit: Shutterstock.

One such case is Chrystal, a mum-of-four, who, to survive her financial struggles, has refrained from professional veterinary services for her two dogs for five years.

Chrystal, who preferred not to disclose her surname, didn't shy away from the stark reality of her situation, 'I can't visit the vet because I don't have the finances. They probably need vaccinations, and they probably need surgery.'

She was referring to her 15-year-old border collie cross and a 13-year-old cavoodle (a hybrid of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a Poodle).

Chrystal's choice was born out of desperation; she was sandwiched between mounting bills with no savings when her dog fell sick.

The cavoodle had developed a 7-centimetre gash leaking with pus, which she suspected was a ruptured cyst. She dug out some old dog antibiotics from a previous vet visit to treat it, supplemented with saltwater and diluted Betadine.

'It is hard. It's embarrassing,' Chrystal admitted. 'I'd have to go into significant debt to get my dog looked at. If I had to, I would. But if I can avoid it…I do.'

However, as sensible as Chrystal's reason may seem from an economic standpoint, veterinary professionals warn against such practice.

Our four-legged companions hold a special place in our hearts, and we naturally want to care for them to the best of our abilities. But sometimes, in our well-intentioned enthusiasm, we might inadvertently venture into risky territory.

That's where Dr Mark Sycamnias, a veterinary surgeon from Central Victoria, steps in, urging us to resist becoming 'makeshift' DIY veterinarians.

He argued that tinkering with the health of our furry friends without proper training and expertise can lead to unintended consequences. After all, just as we wouldn't attempt to perform surgery on ourselves, it's best to leave the complex medical stuff to the professionals.

'I've seen animals die from people giving them human medications,' he said.

He shared a rather alarming incident involving a client who gave her pet dog arthritis medication meant for humans. This medication was specifically designed for people, considering an average person's weight and size. Unfortunately, the poor little dog in question weighed just 4 kilograms and, as a result, tragically bled to death.

Dr Sycamnias has also noticed a trend among pet owners lately. They are becoming savvier when it comes to veterinary services, looking for more budget-friendly options. Some are even willing to travel long distances to rural areas where they can access lower-cost care for their beloved pets.

However, not all pet owners can overcome the cost barriers, leading to some heart-wrenching decisions. Some owners found themselves facing the difficult choice of opting for euthanasia rather than expensive surgeries and treatments.

Dr Sycamnias explained that when regular veterinary check-ups slip down the priority list, pets become more susceptible to developing chronic conditions. This, unfortunately, can result in prolonged and often unnecessary suffering for our furry companions.

It's a reminder of just how important regular check-ups and preventive care are in keeping our pets happy and healthy.

Key Takeaways

• People are resorting to DIY pet treatments due to financial pressures and rising costs of vet care.
  • Veterinarians are concerned that more pet owners are choosing euthanasia over expensive treatments.
  • Pet owners are travelling hours to seek more affordable vet care, highlighting the impact of high vet costs.
  • Vets strongly disapprove of 'home vet' treatments, stating this could be dangerous and potentially lethal for the pets.

Our pets not only need love and cuddles from us, but they also require appropriate care and medical attention because, after all, their health is also important.

So, next time when Whiskers appears unusually quiet, or Fido refuses to play fetch, remember to consult a professional. Always remember that quality pet care today means more joy and less worry tomorrow!

We'd love to hear from you, dear members. Share your experiences or tips for managing your pet care routine, maybe a cute fur-baby story of your own. Leave a comment below!
It's so sad when pensioners have to put their beloved pet down due to vet costs. The pet gives so many benefits to their owner (both mental and physical) saving and reducing pensioner doctors visits (and medicare costs to the community). Isn't it about time this was recognised by our govt and allow pensioner discounts from vets to be applied to pensioners.

I was recently put onto a mobile vet and she’s awesome. She came to the house and sat on the floor next to my cat and gave him his vaccine while he relaxed on the couch. She gave him a good examination and gave great advice regarding his teeth etc. And was considerably cheaper than actually going to the veterinary clinic. She can’t do surgeries obviously but can advise if it might be necessary

I saw a case at my vet of a dog owner giving his cat the dog's medication because he couldn't afford the cats, the result fatal. I would rather go without to give my cat the care she needs, and I do go without because it is not her fault that the money is running low. My vets let me email them and when necessary we get a taxi down there (I have no other means of transport). If something major happened I would just have to pay it off, I do have pet insurance which I won't give up.

I was recently put onto a mobile vet and she’s awesome. She came to the house and sat on the floor next to my cat and gave him his vaccine while he relaxed on the couch. She gave him a good examination and gave great advice regarding his teeth etc. And was considerably cheaper than actually going to the veterinary clinic. She can’t do surgeries obviously but can advise if it might be necessary
Colette 3799 what state are you in.

Reactions: TheBear
My family inlcudes a couple of cats, fish, a rescue dog, and two rescue horses.
One of my cats, a petite, 13 year-old female, developed thyroid trouble and had to have a brutal radiation treatment that necessitated her staying in isolation in the vet hospital for 10 days during which the only human contact she had was a very brief appearance by staff to place food and water in her 'cage'. Then they had to scarper. My girl was seriously radioactive, you see.
But the treatment was horrendously expensive and I am a pensioner. That's when my vet mentioned VetPay. It was a lifesaver and has proved invaluable to me ever since. Once you set up the account, you are given a credit limit that is suitable to your financial situation. You then pay 10% of the vet's fee to the vet surgery, and the rest is covered by VetPay. They deduct a small, agreed amount from your bank account every month. As you defray the bill, your available balance is there if you need it for another emergency.
It may not be viable for everyone, but for me it's been a godsend!

JKM_Storyteller thank you for sharing! The idea that we can get our beloved Pets the appropriate Veterinary care and medications that they need via the use of VetPay is awesome! I am going to look into this and get an account opened asap as I am another who could not afford an enormous Vet Bill if my pets became suddenly unwell. Thanks again for sharing, this is a wonderful idea and one I hope that others will benefit from too.

One of my cats, a petite, 13 year-old female, developed thyroid trouble and had to have a brutal radiation treatment that necessitated her staying in isolation in the vet hospital for 10 days during which the only human contact she had was a very brief appearance by staff to place food and water in her 'cage'. Then they had to scarper. My girl was seriously radioactive, you see.
But the treatment was horrendously expensive and I am a pensioner. That's when my vet mentioned VetPay. It was a lifesaver and has proved invaluable to me ever since. Once you set up the account, you are given a credit limit that is suitable to your financial situation. You then pay 10% of the vet's fee to the vet surgery, and the rest is covered by VetPay. They deduct a small, agreed amount from your bank account every month. As you defray the bill, your available balance is there if you need it for another emergency.
Thank you for sharing , this would be helpful if my cat has, God Forbid, has to go to the veterinary hospitals here in Brisbane.

Does the vet pay charge interest on the bill.

Does the vet pay charge interest on the bill.
Yes, a small amount. And they do have a $2.50 payment processing fee. For me, I set up an account for $2K credit to cover the cost of my feline's treatment.

I paid $40 a fortnight. You can make extra payments at any time, and there are no penalties for early payout. Looking at an old statement, when I had a balance owing of $406.87, the monthly interest was $6.36 - so that's about 1.57%.

Honestly, the payments were manageable, even for me on an age pension, and for the peace of mind - just knowing I had that safety net there if any of my 'dependents' needed treatment - was worth every cent.

Also, once you've repaid the full amount, they do not close the account. It sits there, at no cost to you, for the time - if/when - you need to access the funds again in the future. So there's no need to reapply.

If you have more than one pet, it doesn't matter. You can use the funds on any pet as and when the need arises.

Note, on looking at that old statement, I realised it was a fortnightly payment schedule, not monthly.

Hope this info helps
Jess

Just looked up the link for VetPay that JKM_Storyteller posted and it takes you to the American site.
You need to type VetPay.com.au to get the Australian site. Their phone number is (08) 8465 1850 for general customer inquiries.

Reactions: Tervueren
Just looked up the link for VetPay that JKM_Storyteller posted and it takes you to the American site.
You need to type VetPay.com.au to get the Australian site. Their phone number is (08) 8465 1850 for general customer inquiries.
Apologies for forgetting to add the 'au' PepeLePew (loved that character!!!!)
Jess

Thank you for that, I found the US site. I would imagine it would be at the Vet Practice's discretion as to whether they accept Vet Pay?

Thank you for that, I found the US site. I would imagine it would be at the Vet Practice's discretion as to whether they accept Vet Pay?
I should imagine so, Liz. Never really thought about it as it was my vet who first put me on to them.

But I should imagine the vet surgery would need to be on VetPay's books in order for VetPay to transfer the funds for the services rendered to the customer.

Jess

I should imagine so, Liz. Never really thought about it as it was my vet who first put me on to them.

But I should imagine the vet surgery would need to be on VetPay's books in order for VetPay to transfer the funds for the services rendered to the customer.

Jess
Hi Jess, just rang my vet and the answer is no but After Pay which is only a 4 week period. Which is useless. I would think the major veterinary hospitals further out which I have unfortunately had to use in the past, might do something. It is worth looking into. Thank you.

I use ‘best for pet’ and pay $45.00 per month for each pet. It cover as many vet consultations as you want - annual vaccinations and one blood screen per year/ $200.00 off dental work and 4 nail clips and 4 overnight stays (boarding) per year.
Pretty good value considering a vet consult is at least $150.00 a throw.
Not all vets are accredited, but there’ll be one not too far away.

Reactions: Tervueren and Liz
Hi Jess, just rang my vet and the answer is no but After Pay which is only a 4 week period. Which is useless. I would think the major veterinary hospitals further out which I have unfortunately had to use in the past, might do something. It is worth looking into. Thank you.
Good luck, Liz. I've found 3 or 4 vet surgeries here in the ACT who use VetPay - my preferred vet being one of them!

Reactions: Tervueren and Liz
Good luck, Liz. I've found 3 or 4 vet surgeries here in the ACT who use VetPay - my preferred vet being one of them!
Thank you, I will stick to my vet although they charge quite a bit. I have even asked for a senior's discount but no luck. I must admit however, that they take me at a moment's notice in an emergency and are only 5 minutes away, so that is a positive.