Financial pressures spark rise in 'DIY' pet treatments, vets warn of potential dangers

As the cost of living keeps increasing, Australian households are getting creative to save some cash. However, there's one worrisome trend that's got experts a bit concerned: the rise in DIY pet treatments.

At the SDC, we value every family member, including our adorable furry friends. After all, there's nothing quite like the unconditional love of a good pet to keep us company and brighten our days.

With the rising popularity of DIY in various aspects of our lives (because who can resist the joy of home improvement or the aroma of freshly baked homemade sourdough?), it appears that this trend has also found its way into some people's pet care routines.

While treating our adorable canines to homemade biscuits might result in their tails wagging with delight, taking on the role of a 'pet doctor' and attempting to address their medical needs ourselves is a matter that deserves some concern.

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 2.50.55 PM.png
The cost of living and financial stress is causing many Australians to forgo professional vet care for their pets. Credit: Shutterstock.

One such case is Chrystal, a mum-of-four, who, to survive her financial struggles, has refrained from professional veterinary services for her two dogs for five years.

Chrystal, who preferred not to disclose her surname, didn't shy away from the stark reality of her situation, 'I can't visit the vet because I don't have the finances. They probably need vaccinations, and they probably need surgery.'

She was referring to her 15-year-old border collie cross and a 13-year-old cavoodle (a hybrid of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a Poodle).

Chrystal's choice was born out of desperation; she was sandwiched between mounting bills with no savings when her dog fell sick.

The cavoodle had developed a 7-centimetre gash leaking with pus, which she suspected was a ruptured cyst. She dug out some old dog antibiotics from a previous vet visit to treat it, supplemented with saltwater and diluted Betadine.

'It is hard. It's embarrassing,' Chrystal admitted. 'I'd have to go into significant debt to get my dog looked at. If I had to, I would. But if I can avoid it…I do.'

However, as sensible as Chrystal's reason may seem from an economic standpoint, veterinary professionals warn against such practice.

Our four-legged companions hold a special place in our hearts, and we naturally want to care for them to the best of our abilities. But sometimes, in our well-intentioned enthusiasm, we might inadvertently venture into risky territory.

That's where Dr Mark Sycamnias, a veterinary surgeon from Central Victoria, steps in, urging us to resist becoming 'makeshift' DIY veterinarians.

He argued that tinkering with the health of our furry friends without proper training and expertise can lead to unintended consequences. After all, just as we wouldn't attempt to perform surgery on ourselves, it's best to leave the complex medical stuff to the professionals.

'I've seen animals die from people giving them human medications,' he said.

He shared a rather alarming incident involving a client who gave her pet dog arthritis medication meant for humans. This medication was specifically designed for people, considering an average person's weight and size. Unfortunately, the poor little dog in question weighed just 4 kilograms and, as a result, tragically bled to death.

Dr Sycamnias has also noticed a trend among pet owners lately. They are becoming savvier when it comes to veterinary services, looking for more budget-friendly options. Some are even willing to travel long distances to rural areas where they can access lower-cost care for their beloved pets.

However, not all pet owners can overcome the cost barriers, leading to some heart-wrenching decisions. Some owners found themselves facing the difficult choice of opting for euthanasia rather than expensive surgeries and treatments.

Dr Sycamnias explained that when regular veterinary check-ups slip down the priority list, pets become more susceptible to developing chronic conditions. This, unfortunately, can result in prolonged and often unnecessary suffering for our furry companions.

It's a reminder of just how important regular check-ups and preventive care are in keeping our pets happy and healthy.

Key Takeaways

• People are resorting to DIY pet treatments due to financial pressures and rising costs of vet care.
  • Veterinarians are concerned that more pet owners are choosing euthanasia over expensive treatments.
  • Pet owners are travelling hours to seek more affordable vet care, highlighting the impact of high vet costs.
  • Vets strongly disapprove of 'home vet' treatments, stating this could be dangerous and potentially lethal for the pets.

Our pets not only need love and cuddles from us, but they also require appropriate care and medical attention because, after all, their health is also important.

So, next time when Whiskers appears unusually quiet, or Fido refuses to play fetch, remember to consult a professional. Always remember that quality pet care today means more joy and less worry tomorrow!

We'd love to hear from you, dear members. Share your experiences or tips for managing your pet care routine, maybe a cute fur-baby story of your own. Leave a comment below!

Sponsored
Thank you, I will stick to my vet although they charge quite a bit. I have even asked for a senior's discount but no luck. I must admit however, that they take me at a moment's notice in an emergency and are only 5 minutes away, so that is a positive.
There's always an upside, Liz. I wish you and your four-legged charge well.

Jess

Reactions: Tervueren