Feeling tired throughout the day? You might be making this one common mistake every morning!

Waking up feeling exhausted is a pretty common occurrence (we've all been there!), and unfortunately, it can be hard to get rid of that fatigue no matter how many cups of coffee you drink throughout the day.

But what if we told you that there's a reason your coffee isn't giving you the pick-me-up it's supposed to…

According to neuroscientist Dr Andrew Huberman, it all has to do with when you're drinking it.

He says that if you want to make the most out of your caffeine hit in the morning, you should wait at least 90 minutes after waking up before downing your first cup.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 12.07.53 PM 1.png
A doctor explained a common morning habit that can make you feel more tired throughout the day. Credit: Pexels.

Dr Andrew Huberman is a Neuroscientist and Professor in the Department of Neurobiology at Stanford University School of Medicine.

His reasoning is based on adenosine – a compound that builds up in our system as we stay awake and causes us to feel sleepy when it reaches certain levels.

Caffeine blocks adenosine from binding to its receptors, which is why we feel more alert after our morning brew. However, this also means that once the caffeine wears off (usually around 4 pm), we crash hard.

According to Dr Huberman's theory, if we delay caffeine until after our cortisol levels have risen (cortisol is released naturally according to our sleep-wake cycle), then we can avoid an afternoon crash later on.

This way, we're not introducing caffeine into our system when it's not needed – hopefully leading to improved energy patterns overall!

'I let my cortisol naturally come up in the morning, I avoid drinking caffeine 90 minutes to 2 hours after waking, and when I do that I find that I don't experience the afternoon crash,' Dr Huberman said.
Key Takeaways

• Caffeine consumption first thing in the morning can disrupt your natural cortisol cycle and lead to feeling more tired later in the day.
  • Waiting 90 minutes after waking up to have your first cup of coffee can help avoid an afternoon crash.
Of course, this is just one doctor's opinion, and you should always consult your GP if you're having trouble sleeping (or staying awake during the day). But still, it might be worth trying this method for a few days to see if it makes a difference to your energy levels!

And besides, in one of our previous articles, another health expert warned that there may be downsides to drinking coffee on an empty stomach.

What do you think, members? Are you making this common mistake, too? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Yes, it's the caffeine effect. I have a cup of tea as soon as I wake up and can't imagine waiting 90 minutes for it as it's the best cuppa of the day.
I always give my cat her breakfast first, then a cup of tea with my breakfast, then another cup.
No way can I wait 90 minutes!

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
I suppose I must be lucky in the fact that I drink water when I get up after i feed my cat. I rarely drink coffee only when out, which is not very often. I prefer tea.

Yes I believe I drink to much coffee I’m addicted im going to try to cut back. I have to go into hospital soon actually on the 8/12 to have a monitor installed near my heart and have given this much thought and will try and cut back and drink some tea also

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
Waking up feeling exhausted is a pretty common occurrence (we've all been there!), and unfortunately, it can be hard to get rid of that fatigue no matter how many cups of coffee you drink throughout the day.

But what if we told you that there's a reason your coffee isn't giving you the pick-me-up it's supposed to…

According to neuroscientist Dr Andrew Huberman, it all has to do with when you're drinking it.

He says that if you want to make the most out of your caffeine hit in the morning, you should wait at least 90 minutes after waking up before downing your first cup.

View attachment 8759
A doctor explained a common morning habit that can make you feel more tired throughout the day. Credit: Pexels.

Dr Andrew Huberman is a Neuroscientist and Professor in the Department of Neurobiology at Stanford University School of Medicine.

His reasoning is based on adenosine – a compound that builds up in our system as we stay awake and causes us to feel sleepy when it reaches certain levels.

Caffeine blocks adenosine from binding to its receptors, which is why we feel more alert after our morning brew. However, this also means that once the caffeine wears off (usually around 4 pm), we crash hard.

According to Dr Huberman's theory, if we delay caffeine until after our cortisol levels have risen (cortisol is released naturally according to our sleep-wake cycle), then we can avoid an afternoon crash later on.

This way, we're not introducing caffeine into our system when it's not needed – hopefully leading to improved energy patterns overall!

'I let my cortisol naturally come up in the morning, I avoid drinking caffeine 90 minutes to 2 hours after waking, and when I do that I find that I don't experience the afternoon crash,' Dr Huberman said.
Key Takeaways

• Caffeine consumption first thing in the morning can disrupt your natural cortisol cycle and lead to feeling more tired later in the day.
  • Waiting 90 minutes after waking up to have your first cup of coffee can help avoid an afternoon crash.
Of course, this is just one doctor's opinion, and you should always consult your GP if you're having trouble sleeping (or staying awake during the day). But still, it might be worth trying this method for a few days to see if it makes a difference to your energy levels!

And besides, in one of our previous articles, another health expert warned that there may be downsides to drinking coffee on an empty stomach.

What do you think, members? Are you making this common mistake, too? Let us know in the comments below!
I don’t want to be a party-poorer, but I struggle with those who ‘must have a coffee to get going in the mornng! I have never felt the need. After all, it is an artificial stimulant. Anyway, I do respect those who must have their coffee to start the day, but it’s not for me. I’m not sure about tea though Ricci! Haha. ☕🤪

Reactions: Ricci
Well I love my cup of coffee I must admit that. I’m enjoying a cup of tea right now I thought perhaps I can still enjoy my coffee and occasionally have a cup of tea to balance it maybe better for me

Reactions: Ian1 and Ricci