Fashion faux pas encounter inspires Kmart shopper to create controversial proposal

Ah, Kmart—a treasure trove for bargain hunters and a sanctuary for those who appreciate a good deal.

It's a place where you can find anything from kitchen gadgets to cosy throws and where fashion rules are as varied as the merchandise on the shelves.

But one woman's experience has sparked a rather unconventional proposal that's got everyone talking.

After witnessing a fellow shopper clad in thongs, this woman was so taken aback that she took to a Kmart forum to vent her disbelief.

Not content with merely expressing her dismay, she went a step further and crafted a 'Kmart Dress Code Proposal'—complete with a PowerPoint slide for those curious about her fashion guidelines.

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 8.38.28 AM.png
A Kmart shopper was taken aback when she saw a fellow shopper wearing thongs in Kmart. Credit: Facebook

‘When I went to Kmart yesterday, I literally saw one of the other Kmart shoppers wearing thongs, which is COMPLETELY unprofessional. In response to witnessing this, I’ve drafted a 'Kmart Dress Code Proposal,’ she captioned the post.

The proposal was simple: ‘Casual business attire should be a requirement to enter a Kmart store,’ she said.

But what does that entail, you ask?

It seems men are out of luck, as her dress code cheekily suggested: 'No men at Kmart.'

While we can all appreciate a bit of humour, it's safe to say that excluding half the population might not be the best business strategy.

For the ladies, the proposed attire includes slacks, stirrup pants, polo shirts, culottes, skorts or slint skirts, loafers or boat shoes, and sweaters.

It's a list that might make you wonder if you've accidentally stumbled into a corporate boardroom rather than your local discount store.

The reaction to the dress code proposal was as varied as Kmart's product range. Some shoppers were amused, joking about the possibility of wearing socks with their thongs to meet the new standards.

Others were less than impressed with the woman’s post.

‘You ask for opinions there’s my opinion. Creating a dress code and saying no, men, it’s beyond a joke, and it’s s****d. All because someone wore thongs. It’s not a 5-star restaurant or nightclub club, so there's no need for a dress code,’ one commented.

‘What about if I wear socks with my thongs? Am I okay then?’ another asked.

‘I went in a sports bra and sweatpants the other day. No one has time to dress properly all the time. If you're a mum, you know what I’m talking about out,’ a third shared.

‘Are you for real? Last time I checked, Kmart sold thongs. Get off your high horse and get a life. The world doesn't revolve around you!" someone else who didn't hold back.’

‘We live in the coastal area, so thongs and slides are normal wear here. People wear Ugg boots, PJs, hoodies, and onesies to the shops late at night. Plenty shop in their swimwear with denim shorts and bare feet, too. People wear work gear and come shopping sweaty after the gym, too. It’s normal,’ another commented.

Finally, someone tried to rationalise the woman’s post, saying, ‘I'm pretty sure she is just trying to have a joke. Some people get so defensive. If you haven’t noticed, all her posts are just a bit of fun.’
Key Takeaways
  • A woman expressed her displeasure at the attire of another shopper at Kmart, particularly the wearing of thongs, which she deemed unprofessional.
  • She created a 'Kmart Dress Code Proposal' suggesting casual business attire should be worn in the store, which was shared on a Kmart forum.
  • The proposal sparked outrage and mockery among other shoppers, with many stating that what people wear to a shop is no one else's business and a dress code is unnecessary.
  • Critics of the proposal emphasised the practicality and comfort of casual dress, especially for busy parents, and pointed out that Kmart itself sells items like thongs, indicating such attire is acceptable.
Have you ever wished for a dress code in your local stores, or do you revel in the freedom to shop in whatever attire suits your fancy? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
She is either joking, has too much time on her hands or has lost touch with reality. Perhaps she is more suited to David Jones, though I'm sure not everyone who shops there would meet her standards either. Another example of a world gone mad!

Well if she was joking she obviously needed to confirm that. People are so quick to be offended these days. If she wasn’t joking then she has a serious snobbery dis order!! In which case I doubt she would even lower her standards enough to enter a K Mart Store.

This crazy, bossy woman needs to mind her own business and get a life.

Reactions: janj
I cannot complain about Kmart, I don't want it to turn into America's Walmart. They should really have dress codes.
Walmart? Fun to look at and does it really hurt anyone? Gives you a laugh. People have the right to dress how they please even if they look ridiculous.

Reactions: Gaena and janj
Too busy shopping to worry about what people are wearing although l must admit you do see the odd shopper who's dress sense leaves a lot to be desired but then l just dismiss it.We don't want to be told what we should wear and whatever next does she want to control next.

Reactions: janj