Exposing 'Australia's biggest scam': Why are baristas and cafes getting away with this?

Coffee has become so ingrained in Australian culture it’s not too far-fetched to claim that there isn’t a place in the country where it isn’t welcomed.

But there’s something putting a sour taste in the mouths of coffee lovers everywhere: the outrageous price difference between hot and iced drinks.

Recently, the hefty price difference between iced and hot coffee has outraged one Aussie customer enough to make a video about it on social media.

Imagine this: you order a hot cappuccino at your local café, the barista passes it over the counter, and out comes the bill asking for $4.

But if you were to order the same coffee shot in the same cup but with the addition of ice, you'd be asked to pay much more than that.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 142107.png
A former barista highlighted the price difference between hot and iced coffees. Credit: Lala Azizli/Unsplash

In the video with thousands of views, Erica Mallett acted out a hypothetical conversation between herself and a barista.

She initially ordered a hot cappuccino, which cost $4, but asked the barista to change it and make it iced.

‘And I'll just put it in the same cup, same amount of shot, same amount of milk, and all I need to do is add frozen water?’ the barista asked in the fictional conversation.

The customer confirmed the changes to the order and received a $7.50 bill—a $3.5 difference from the hot version of the drink.

The caption of Erica’s video read: ‘I don’t get it (and before you come for me, I used to be a barista)’.

And she is not alone. Thousands of her viewers shared the same confusion, describing the price gap between hot and iced coffees as 'Australia's biggest scam' and 'the most frustrating thing'.

‘I don't get it either. [The] extra charge for an iced coffee as it has ice cream and whipped cream [makes sense], but an iced latte shouldn't be [pricier],’ a viewer commented.

‘Same! I don’t know why it costs so much,’ another said.

‘The real answer is that people are willing to pay $3 more for an iced coffee on a hot day even if it costs less to make,’ a third person pointed out.

However, defending the price increase, other social media users offered explanations for the price difference.

‘Milk expands a lot when heated, so you actually use less milk when making the same sized hot beverage,’ one person wrote.

‘You’re not taking into account costs of ice, cost of straws, amount of milk, cost of takeaway iced latte cups compared to hot coffee cups?’ Another asked.

A third social media user shared: ‘Cafe explained to me once it covered the cost of having an ice machine and straws, etc.’

However, someone stated that the price gap isn’t happening in other countries.

‘I moved to the UK from Australia, and I found it so weird that iced coffee is the same price as hot coffee,’ a commenter said.

You can watch Erica’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • Coffee drinkers are criticising Australian cafes for charging more for iced lattes compared to hot beverages.
  • Erica Mallett highlighted the price disparity in a mock conversation where an iced latte with the same amount of coffee and milk as a cappuccino costs $7.50, compared to $4 for the hot drink.
  • There was a heated debate in the video's comments section, with some labelling it as 'Australia's biggest scam' and others defending the pricing by pointing to costs such as ice machines, takeaway cups, and milk expansion from heating.
  • Erica, a former barista, said she didn’t understand why iced coffee was so much more expensive than hot coffee, stirring up a wider conversation on social media.

What’s your take on this, members? Should hot and iced coffees have the same price? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Coffee has become so ingrained in Australian culture it’s not too far-fetched to claim that there isn’t a place in the country where it isn’t welcomed.

But there’s something putting a sour taste in the mouths of coffee lovers everywhere: the outrageous price difference between hot and iced drinks.

Recently, the hefty price difference between iced and hot coffee has outraged one Aussie customer enough to make a video about it on social media.

Imagine this: you order a hot cappuccino at your local café, the barista passes it over the counter, and out comes the bill asking for $4.

But if you were to order the same coffee shot in the same cup but with the addition of ice, you'd be asked to pay much more than that.

View attachment 33021
A former barista highlighted the price difference between hot and iced coffees. Credit: Lala Azizli/Unsplash

In the video with thousands of views, Erica Mallett acted out a hypothetical conversation between herself and a barista.

She initially ordered a hot cappuccino, which cost $4, but asked the barista to change it and make it iced.

‘And I'll just put it in the same cup, same amount of shot, same amount of milk, and all I need to do is add frozen water?’ the barista asked in the fictional conversation.

The customer confirmed the changes to the order and received a $7.50 bill—a $3.5 difference from the hot version of the drink.

The caption of Erica’s video read: ‘I don’t get it (and before you come for me, I used to be a barista)’.

And she is not alone. Thousands of her viewers shared the same confusion, describing the price gap between hot and iced coffees as 'Australia's biggest scam' and 'the most frustrating thing'.

‘I don't get it either. [The] extra charge for an iced coffee as it has ice cream and whipped cream [makes sense], but an iced latte shouldn't be [pricier],’ a viewer commented.

‘The real answer is that people are willing to pay $3 more for an iced coffee on a hot day even if it costs less to make,’ a third person pointed out.

However, defending the price increase, other social media users offered explanations for the price difference.

‘Milk expands a lot when heated, so you actually use less milk when making the same sized hot beverage,’ one person wrote.

‘You’re not taking into account costs of ice, cost of straws, amount of milk, cost of takeaway iced latte cups compared to hot coffee cups?’ Another asked.

A third social media user shared: ‘Cafe explained to me once it covered the cost of having an ice machine and straws, etc.’

‘I moved to the UK from Australia, and I found it so weird that iced coffee is the same price as hot coffee,’ a commenter said.

Key Takeaways

• Coffee drinkers are criticising Australian cafes for charging more for iced lattes compared to hot beverages.
  • Erica Mallett highlighted the price disparity in a mock conversation where an iced latte with the same amount of coffee and milk as a cappuccino costs $7.50, compared to $4 for the hot drink.
  • There was a heated debate in the video's comments section, with some labelling it as 'Australia's biggest scam' and others defending the pricing by pointing to costs such as ice machines, takeaway cups, and milk expansion from heating.
  • Erica, a former barista, said she didn’t understand why iced coffee was so much more expensive than hot coffee, stirring up a wider conversation on social media.

What’s your take on this, members? Should hot and iced coffees have the same price? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Same price. It's like a milk shake, more expensive.

View attachment 33021

Key Takeaways

$4 for a coffee?!? Not in WA!

View attachment 33021

Key Takeaways

save yourself money - go home. make a cup of coffee at home stick it in the freezer (with some ice in it if you like) and let it get cold but not frozen. there you go iced coffee. you've saved $7.50 even though it took a while.
Screw the rippoff cafe's.

Cheapest and BEST coffee - is at 7-11. $3.50 for a Super size (equal to the biggest Maccas cup) and if you got the app it's 50c cheaper still - and tastes better (ground right there as you make it on the machine - easy to use it too) than Maccas dirty dish water! Bloody nice coffee!

View attachment 33021

Key Takeaways

Just ANOTHER scam. No more iced coffee from a cafe'.

Reactions: trawler

View attachment 33021

Key Takeaways

Did they put a blob of cream on top that ypu didn't ask for?

Dear God ! HOW could ANYONE drink a cold coffee, with ice in it ??? Yeuck !!!
Surely a coffee flavoured milk shake would do the job ??? Again, Yeuck !!!
I agree with your “Yuck” comment. Just waters down the milk. Why would anyone need to do that? I always say ‘no’ to ice in soft drink, coffee and wine or rum & coke. Keep the base drink cold from the start! Maccas fills half their drink cups with ice before pouring the drink in. Just watery drinks in my opinion.

View attachment 33021

Key Takeaways

They do say a fool and their money is soon parted

… and what about paying the same price for a black coffee as one with milk?!
As a black coffee drinker - always feel ripped off that my hot water is as expensive as milk 😏🤷‍♀️

Dear God ! HOW could ANYONE drink a cold coffee, with ice in it ??? Yeuck !!!
Surely a coffee flavoured milk shake would do the job ??? Again, Yeuck !!!
Ice coffee is the only way I drink coffee with 95% full cream milk, if I ever drink coffee.

I NEVER drink hot drinks. My twisted logic is if I want a drink, I must be thirsty. If I'm thristy, I must be hot. If I'm hot, why in hell would I want a HOT drink?

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Ice coffee is the only way I drink coffee with 95% full cream milk, if I ever drink coffee.

I NEVER drink hot drinks. My twisted logic is if I want a drink, I must be thirsty. If I'm thristy, I must be hot. If I'm hot, why in hell would I want a HOT drink?
Interestingly, I read somewhere once that hot drinks actually help you cool down. The explanation at the time made sense, but I've slept several times since then, so don't remember now