Exposing 'Australia's biggest scam': Why are baristas and cafes getting away with this?

Coffee has become so ingrained in Australian culture it’s not too far-fetched to claim that there isn’t a place in the country where it isn’t welcomed.

But there’s something putting a sour taste in the mouths of coffee lovers everywhere: the outrageous price difference between hot and iced drinks.

Recently, the hefty price difference between iced and hot coffee has outraged one Aussie customer enough to make a video about it on social media.

Imagine this: you order a hot cappuccino at your local café, the barista passes it over the counter, and out comes the bill asking for $4.

But if you were to order the same coffee shot in the same cup but with the addition of ice, you'd be asked to pay much more than that.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 142107.png
A former barista highlighted the price difference between hot and iced coffees. Credit: Lala Azizli/Unsplash

In the video with thousands of views, Erica Mallett acted out a hypothetical conversation between herself and a barista.

She initially ordered a hot cappuccino, which cost $4, but asked the barista to change it and make it iced.

‘And I'll just put it in the same cup, same amount of shot, same amount of milk, and all I need to do is add frozen water?’ the barista asked in the fictional conversation.

The customer confirmed the changes to the order and received a $7.50 bill—a $3.5 difference from the hot version of the drink.

The caption of Erica’s video read: ‘I don’t get it (and before you come for me, I used to be a barista)’.

And she is not alone. Thousands of her viewers shared the same confusion, describing the price gap between hot and iced coffees as 'Australia's biggest scam' and 'the most frustrating thing'.

‘I don't get it either. [The] extra charge for an iced coffee as it has ice cream and whipped cream [makes sense], but an iced latte shouldn't be [pricier],’ a viewer commented.

‘Same! I don’t know why it costs so much,’ another said.

‘The real answer is that people are willing to pay $3 more for an iced coffee on a hot day even if it costs less to make,’ a third person pointed out.

However, defending the price increase, other social media users offered explanations for the price difference.

‘Milk expands a lot when heated, so you actually use less milk when making the same sized hot beverage,’ one person wrote.

‘You’re not taking into account costs of ice, cost of straws, amount of milk, cost of takeaway iced latte cups compared to hot coffee cups?’ Another asked.

A third social media user shared: ‘Cafe explained to me once it covered the cost of having an ice machine and straws, etc.’

However, someone stated that the price gap isn’t happening in other countries.

‘I moved to the UK from Australia, and I found it so weird that iced coffee is the same price as hot coffee,’ a commenter said.

You can watch Erica’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • Coffee drinkers are criticising Australian cafes for charging more for iced lattes compared to hot beverages.
  • Erica Mallett highlighted the price disparity in a mock conversation where an iced latte with the same amount of coffee and milk as a cappuccino costs $7.50, compared to $4 for the hot drink.
  • There was a heated debate in the video's comments section, with some labelling it as 'Australia's biggest scam' and others defending the pricing by pointing to costs such as ice machines, takeaway cups, and milk expansion from heating.
  • Erica, a former barista, said she didn’t understand why iced coffee was so much more expensive than hot coffee, stirring up a wider conversation on social media.

What’s your take on this, members? Should hot and iced coffees have the same price? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored

SCIENCE

A Hot Drink on a Hot Day Can Cool You Down​

A rigorous experiment revealed that on a hot, dry day, drinking a hot beverage can help your body stay cool.
Smithsonian institute. apparently, the hot drink causes you to sweat, in return cooling your body down.

Interestingly, I read somewhere once that hot drinks actually help you cool down. The explanation at the time made sense, but I've slept several times since then, so don't remember now
Probably works on the idea that your capillaries become engorged with blood at the surface of your skin and cool you off through evaporation of sweat or something like that.

SCIENCE

A Hot Drink on a Hot Day Can Cool You Down​

A rigorous experiment revealed that on a hot, dry day, drinking a hot beverage can help your body stay cool.
Smithsonian institute. apparently, the hot drink causes you to sweat, in return cooling your body down.
@Clancieblue thanks for the link. I read it and what I said in post #22 is sort of correct.

Another of those 1st world problems that has a simple solution: don't buy it. Not sure a quote from a barista that for all we know was a Mcdonalds barista is the best source. If you're going to drink coffee then, drink hot coffee it's not something that should be drunk cold.

Another of those 1st world problems that has a simple solution: don't buy it. Not sure a quote from a barista that for all we know was a Mcdonalds barista is the best source. If you're going to drink coffee then, drink hot coffee it's not something that should be drunk cold.
Do you left eat over BBQ sausages the next day straight from the fridge? How about ham and prawns, initially cooked but served cold?

Ice coffee is the only way I drink coffee with 95% full cream milk, if I ever drink coffee.

I NEVER drink hot drinks. My twisted logic is if I want a drink, I must be thirsty. If I'm thristy, I must be hot. If I'm hot, why in hell would I want a HOT drink?
Not sure about this info, Veggiepatch, but I’ve heard it said a hot drink actually cools you down. Perhaps it’s the fact a really hot drink will make you sweat, the sweat evaporates off your skin, and your skin is cooled by breeze or just plain and simple normal air around us. Don’t quote me anyone!

Even my morning ‘hot coffee’ in bed (made and served by my dear husband), is allowed to cool down slightly before I take my first sip. I just cannot drink it steaming hot. One of my sisters always asks for ‘extra hot’ but my son who has been in hospitality for many years says there is a set temperature they are required to heat the milk to (if drinking coffee with milk). I’m not sure about temperature for black coffee.

Coffee has become so ingrained in Australian culture it’s not too far-fetched to claim that there isn’t a place in the country where it isn’t welcomed.

But there’s something putting a sour taste in the mouths of coffee lovers everywhere: the outrageous price difference between hot and iced drinks.

Recently, the hefty price difference between iced and hot coffee has outraged one Aussie customer enough to make a video about it on social media.

Imagine this: you order a hot cappuccino at your local café, the barista passes it over the counter, and out comes the bill asking for $4.

But if you were to order the same coffee shot in the same cup but with the addition of ice, you'd be asked to pay much more than that.

View attachment 33021
A former barista highlighted the price difference between hot and iced coffees. Credit: Lala Azizli/Unsplash

In the video with thousands of views, Erica Mallett acted out a hypothetical conversation between herself and a barista.

She initially ordered a hot cappuccino, which cost $4, but asked the barista to change it and make it iced.

‘And I'll just put it in the same cup, same amount of shot, same amount of milk, and all I need to do is add frozen water?’ the barista asked in the fictional conversation.

The customer confirmed the changes to the order and received a $7.50 bill—a $3.5 difference from the hot version of the drink.

The caption of Erica’s video read: ‘I don’t get it (and before you come for me, I used to be a barista)’.

And she is not alone. Thousands of her viewers shared the same confusion, describing the price gap between hot and iced coffees as 'Australia's biggest scam' and 'the most frustrating thing'.

‘I don't get it either. [The] extra charge for an iced coffee as it has ice cream and whipped cream [makes sense], but an iced latte shouldn't be [pricier],’ a viewer commented.

‘Same! I don’t know why it costs so much,’ another said.

‘The real answer is that people are willing to pay $3 more for an iced coffee on a hot day even if it costs less to make,’ a third person pointed out.

However, defending the price increase, other social media users offered explanations for the price difference.

‘Milk expands a lot when heated, so you actually use less milk when making the same sized hot beverage,’ one person wrote.

‘You’re not taking into account costs of ice, cost of straws, amount of milk, cost of takeaway iced latte cups compared to hot coffee cups?’ Another asked.

A third social media user shared: ‘Cafe explained to me once it covered the cost of having an ice machine and straws, etc.’

However, someone stated that the price gap isn’t happening in other countries.

‘I moved to the UK from Australia, and I found it so weird that iced coffee is the same price as hot coffee,’ a commenter said.

You can watch Erica’s video here:

Key Takeaways

• Coffee drinkers are criticising Australian cafes for charging more for iced lattes compared to hot beverages.
  • Erica Mallett highlighted the price disparity in a mock conversation where an iced latte with the same amount of coffee and milk as a cappuccino costs $7.50, compared to $4 for the hot drink.
  • There was a heated debate in the video's comments section, with some labelling it as 'Australia's biggest scam' and others defending the pricing by pointing to costs such as ice machines, takeaway cups, and milk expansion from heating.
  • Erica, a former barista, said she didn’t understand why iced coffee was so much more expensive than hot coffee, stirring up a wider conversation on social media.

What’s your take on this, members? Should hot and iced coffees have the same price? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Hi all, iv’e got a work around for this. I just order a flat white with cold milk and tell them to NOT heat the milk

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Dear God ! HOW could ANYONE drink a cold coffee, with ice in it ??? Yeuck !!!
Surely a coffee flavoured milk shake would do the job ??? Again, Yeuck !!!
I agree, an iced.ciffee to me has ice cream and cream, and then I pay more.
As far as.the person saying the milk expands when heated, they don't have to use as much milk. What a stupid statement, the expansion of milk is negligible, the ice takes up much more room in the.cup.
I asked our local coffee shop owner,
who makes proper iced coffee not standard coffee with a few cubes of ice. She said the bulk wholesale cost of straws is about one cent, disposable spoon about 5 cents and a few cents for ice. No more than 10 cents altogether, and they don't have to heat the milk, so that negates the cost if refrigerating the ice . And, for that matter, they don't even need the spoon if there's no ice cream
Blatant rip off.

Not sure about this info, Veggiepatch, but I’ve heard it said a hot drink actually cools you down. Perhaps it’s the fact a really hot drink will make you sweat, the sweat evaporates off your skin, and your skin is cooled by breeze or just plain and simple normal air around us. Don’t quote me anyone!

Even my morning ‘hot coffee’ in bed (made and served by my dear husband), is allowed to cool down slightly before I take my first sip. I just cannot drink it steaming hot. One of my sisters always asks for ‘extra hot’ but my son who has been in hospitality for many years says there is a set temperature they are required to heat the milk to (if drinking coffee with milk). I’m not sure about temperature for black coffee.
I have a jar of coffee at home that actually says, use hot water, do not "boil"???

• Wow
Probably works on the idea that your capillaries become engorged with blood at the surface of your skin and cool you off through evaporation of sweat or something like that.
I mentioned this a few days ago. The only trouble is when the air temperature is higher than your body temperature, the effect is negated.

Between 5 and 60 degrees for perishable items is considered in the danger zone. Perishable items should be refrigerated below 5 degrees and cooked above 75 and then held at 60 degrees for serving.
Veggiepatch is correct.

I have my own barista made coffee at home .
If I am on the road and need to buy a coffee , I have my coffee from café’s From who I know will serve a good coffee.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I need triple shot for any coffee for anytime I'm having a cup of joe and that's black. So much so I bought an all singing and dancing coffee machine for home. We get the beans we like and we don't have to leave home for it.