SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jarred Santos

Jarred Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2022
Expo ‘88

More than 30 years ago, Australia got its glimpse of the future through Telecom Expo ‘88, which featured technological marvels from all over the world, like touch screens and a 2.3km monorail at the Brisbane River’s South Bank.

The international exposition was said to attract as many as 100,000 visitors daily in its six-month runtime, from April to October 1988.

Did you get the chance to visit this momentous event? What impressed you the most? Tell us here!

Last edited:
We took our young family to Expo 88. Wouldn’t have missed it for the world! All of us had the most amazing time. With a three day pass, we decided that we would attend Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with rest days in between. Also, we answered an ad from the newspaper for accommodation for the expo time. The couple had made a flat under their house, which was common for the expo. It was comfortable and the couple were so friendly and kind, driving us to the train and sights. Unforgettable!

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I was lucky enough to be at the 1988 Golden Oldies Netball with a team from Seymour.
We spent a memorable day at the Expo and a wonderful week with like minded "mature" netballers from around Australia and the world.
Hi participants, hope all is well in your world.

Expo actually went for 6 months, from April to October 1988. It was an amazing event that myself and my family visited a few times. My only regret was not buying a 6 month pass

Expo ‘88

More than 30 years ago, Australia got its glimpse of the future through Telecom Expo ‘88, which featured technological marvels from all over the world, like touch screens and a 2.3km monorail at the Brisbane River’s south bank.

The international exposition was said to attract as many as 100,000 visitors daily in its four-month runtime, from April to October in 1988.

Did you get the chance to visit this momentous event? What impressed you the most? Tell us here!
Good sunday morning to all. I still have some memorabilia from it, newspapers, books,I did contact about having these ,they said they had enough for the display.. that was a few years ago

• Wow
The Vatican exhibition was the most interesting. After waiting in a long queue we found the German one disappointing. Lunch by the river was nice but wonder if the painted trees survived.

Expo ‘88

More than 30 years ago, Australia got its glimpse of the future through Telecom Expo ‘88, which featured technological marvels from all over the world, like touch screens and a 2.3km monorail at the Brisbane River’s south bank.

The international exposition was said to attract as many as 100,000 visitors daily in its four-month runtime, from April to October in 1988.

it was sensaional , best time in my life uptill then . i spent hours on the simulators .

We had a three day pass and enjoyed most of it and also the night parade. There was so much to see but had to queue for most attractions but it was worth it.

I loved Expo’ 88 . My family of 4 had a season pass , we went as often as we could and loved every minute of it. There were long queues for some of the popular pavilions and everyone was friendly and while you waiting , you talked to people in front and behind you . We had a great time , did not worry about your handbag or small backpack , everything was save , a different time. We got there by electric rail , parked the car at the railway station and it was a short walk from Roma street station . It was very sad when it was over . I remember in the Courier Mail was an article what to do after Expo’88 , but nothing came close to that. I still have some souvenirs, like a big poster and Expo Oz . (y) :cry::D

I was lucky enough to model in the Fashion Shows at Expo 88. I don’t remember having much time to visit all the exhibits but nonetheless it was a wonderful time and experience 😊

• Wow
It was a fantastic time in Brisbane for the 6 months of Expo. The number of people who visited from interstate & overseas was remarkable and the friendliness & cooperation at expo was sensational. The best twelve months of my working life. Ross (ex Deputy Commisioner of Ford Pavilion)

• Wow
Thanks so much for sharing, everyone!
We took our young family to Expo 88. Wouldn’t have missed it for the world! All of us had the most amazing time. With a three day pass, we decided that we would attend Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with rest days in between. Also, we answered an ad from the newspaper for accommodation for the expo time. The couple had made a flat under their house, which was common for the expo. It was comfortable and the couple were so friendly and kind, driving us to the train and sights. Unforgettable!
It was a fantastic time in Brisbane for the 6 months of Expo. The number of people who visited from interstate & overseas was remarkable and the friendliness & cooperation at expo was sensational. The best twelve months of my working life. Ross (ex Deputy Commisioner of Ford Pavilion)
The classic Aussie spirit of community, eh? :giggle:

Good sunday morning to all. I still have some memorabilia from it, newspapers, books,I did contact about having these ,they said they had enough for the display.. that was a few years ago
I loved Expo’ 88 . My family of 4 had a season pass , we went as often as we could and loved every minute of it. There were long queues for some of the popular pavilions and everyone was friendly and while you waiting , you talked to people in front and behind you . We had a great time , did not worry about your handbag or small backpack , everything was save , a different time. We got there by electric rail , parked the car at the railway station and it was a short walk from Roma street station . It was very sad when it was over . I remember in the Courier Mail was an article what to do after Expo’88 , but nothing came close to that. I still have some souvenirs, like a big poster and Expo Oz . (y) :cry::D
I was lucky enough to model in the Fashion Shows at Expo 88. I don’t remember having much time to visit all the exhibits but nonetheless it was a wonderful time and experience 😊
If you happen to have some images you'd like to share please feel free to post here or reach any admin like myself for a hand :D We'd be glad to help out!

Reactions: AnneMaree
Thanks so much for sharing, everyone!

The classic Aussie spirit of community, eh? :giggle:

If you happen to have some images you'd like to share please feel free to post here or reach any admin like myself for a hand :D We'd be glad to help out!
I do have some, somewhere 🤔