SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Expired ALDI flowers last longer than florist blooms?

Now that it’s spring, there’s nothing better than a fresh bouquet of flowers to brighten up your home. You may remember our recent story detailing how you can get free flowers from your local supermarket. Well, I (April) tried that hack and the results were better than I could have ever expected.

To start, I had a stroke of good luck and was passing through the ALDI checkout as they were disposing of expired items including bread and flowers. I thought, why not see if I can save one from going in the rubbish? After being directed to the manager, I was permitted to go searching for my favourite bouquet.

But testing the free hack wasn’t all I’ve been up to. I wanted to see just how long I could make these flowers last.

While we recently shared that ALDI is the surprise front-runner in terms of quality supermarket flowers, I never expected their shelf-life to be this impressive!

As you can see in the image below, the red roses looked a little worse for wear so I didn’t expect much.

IUJYWGoyz5tR2kuT4Na1H4vt6t6VcfR5GOk7fGU2DYO9laloSleiw9ik7MOY9FQ5qls-Ps5I7pyiQWFKwBlbmBrZDj9Zhik4K2t68XyAuGDIaCXnaFS3rzvflh5FktN8TxpmGlUeYYPo4cJzM7QopDaokypZh4As9hrKg_Ai8R8yZ4_S24q52HX9QA

ALDI expired flowers on the 28th of August. Image Credit: April

In a vase, they went (or in my case, I washed out a pasta sauce jar), I added some raw sugar and stirred it through and left them to it!

vja7OnfRJHheZgjihnEmOhKwvSf5hmufehm0OnH68bE_wZ3c8Ffo1ueumSjfnBZYO7vlFo1pbTPKUcVdD_FJDrmJov5d_5tO7ClVAtKsXjJ9yMRNnLsrH2ibYUdMEqmwbHBLGfda3ADygPalsk7ny1y1EWSFFEijok3zQDJSDsvQySnqcK5zUooEkA

Please tell me I’m not the only one who uses pasta sauce jars. Image Credit: April

Now, here’s the juicy part. Almost a week later on the 2nd of September, the flowers looked better than they did when I brought them home. No special care, I trimmed the base every few days and changed the water and raw sugar mixture but that was it.

Q7hyu1pS_I7Tbrj_0PLP74_Iqs0QggDmFQ3YNcNnwFnMZL-gGWXAVXGI-msuGMRvpWY-_Uc_psxXbQ1ljq1S9pogiS8K6948G3v8pNZHwOynTB0ioy847ilnUJ5mxCvgGJMlLoCuwo9e0nsC6ympUMXi4F_ZOXnS3ewaHyECPzUxxe4ylOkxKGUN6w

The flowers bloomed beautifully after a few days. Image Credit: April

Now, let’s skip forward to September 12th, two weeks after the flowers ‘expired’ and were due to be thrown out.

FS6pTGSN5a31lY9nJIR2InJ4-d5612WqWLbHvdKBOlNdI6c6XWQxqEvlBe1sOrCDM9xoLK6ixeyVa6IjKG2vX4pe7DBrVgPWb7-kulQZzJCzORw0P8NS9SQGPfiP-K4BAtKhi48Hev5kzc9JntTk3eKWyexKT0tDYBMGHuR6yyCWHCrnZkSEAE22xA

They’re ALIVE. Image Credit: April

As you can see, they’re still holding on. I do admit some fault here as the jar was empty of water for an unknown amount of time which accelerated their decline. In my defence, I’d never seen such thirsty flowers. So the results are slightly skewed. I’d bet they would have lasted another week if they had stayed in water the whole time.

So, members, here's your sign to treat yourself to some ALDI blooms (or keep an eye out when they’re due to expire in-store). You’ll certainly get your money's worth.

Well done for giving those beautiful roses a second chance at life.
I think it proves that they are not cared for very well in the stores while waiting to be sold.
I once asked Safeway if I could rescue a pot plant which was so dried out it looked dead.
It was being thrown out.
It became a Lazarus, it rose from the dead, and is a stunning plant.
I love your best vase, bit like mine.
Plants and flowers are living things, and deserve respect as such.

Last edited:
Well done for giving those beautiful roses a second chance at life.
I think it proves that they are not cared for very well in the stores while waiting to be sold.
I once asked Safeway if I could rescue a pot plant which was so dried out it looked dead.
It was being thrown out.
It became a Lazarus, it rose from the dead, and is a stunning plant.
Plants and flowers are living things, and deserve respect as such.
As someone who hasn't one green thumb, I really admire this person, she saved some lovely flowers with an easy idea. Good on her!

Now that it’s spring, there’s nothing better than a fresh bouquet of flowers to brighten up your home. You may remember our recent story detailing how you can get free flowers from your local supermarket. Well, I (April) tried that hack and the results were better than I could have ever expected.

To start, I had a stroke of good luck and was passing through the ALDI checkout as they were disposing of expired items including bread and flowers. I thought, why not see if I can save one from going in the rubbish? After being directed to the manager, I was permitted to go searching for my favourite bouquet.

But testing the free hack wasn’t all I’ve been up to. I wanted to see just how long I could make these flowers last.

While we recently shared that ALDI is the surprise front-runner in terms of quality supermarket flowers, I never expected their shelf-life to be this impressive!

As you can see in the image below, the red roses looked a little worse for wear so I didn’t expect much.

IUJYWGoyz5tR2kuT4Na1H4vt6t6VcfR5GOk7fGU2DYO9laloSleiw9ik7MOY9FQ5qls-Ps5I7pyiQWFKwBlbmBrZDj9Zhik4K2t68XyAuGDIaCXnaFS3rzvflh5FktN8TxpmGlUeYYPo4cJzM7QopDaokypZh4As9hrKg_Ai8R8yZ4_S24q52HX9QA

In a vase, they went (or in my case, I washed out a pasta sauce jar), I added some raw sugar and stirred it through and left them to it!

vja7OnfRJHheZgjihnEmOhKwvSf5hmufehm0OnH68bE_wZ3c8Ffo1ueumSjfnBZYO7vlFo1pbTPKUcVdD_FJDrmJov5d_5tO7ClVAtKsXjJ9yMRNnLsrH2ibYUdMEqmwbHBLGfda3ADygPalsk7ny1y1EWSFFEijok3zQDJSDsvQySnqcK5zUooEkA

Please tell me I’m not the only one who uses pasta sauce jars. Image Credit: April

Now, here’s the juicy part. Almost a week later on the 2nd of September, the flowers looked better than they did when I brought them home. No special care, I trimmed the base every few days and changed the water and raw sugar mixture but that was it.

Q7hyu1pS_I7Tbrj_0PLP74_Iqs0QggDmFQ3YNcNnwFnMZL-gGWXAVXGI-msuGMRvpWY-_Uc_psxXbQ1ljq1S9pogiS8K6948G3v8pNZHwOynTB0ioy847ilnUJ5mxCvgGJMlLoCuwo9e0nsC6ympUMXi4F_ZOXnS3ewaHyECPzUxxe4ylOkxKGUN6w

Now, let’s skip forward to September 12th, two weeks after the flowers ‘expired’ and were due to be thrown out.

FS6pTGSN5a31lY9nJIR2InJ4-d5612WqWLbHvdKBOlNdI6c6XWQxqEvlBe1sOrCDM9xoLK6ixeyVa6IjKG2vX4pe7DBrVgPWb7-kulQZzJCzORw0P8NS9SQGPfiP-K4BAtKhi48Hev5kzc9JntTk3eKWyexKT0tDYBMGHuR6yyCWHCrnZkSEAE22xA

As you can see, they’re still holding on. I do admit some fault here as the jar was empty of water for an unknown amount of time which accelerated their decline. In my defence, I’d never seen such thirsty flowers. So the results are slightly skewed. I’d bet they would have lasted another week if they had stayed in water the whole time.

So, members, here's your sign to treat yourself to some ALDI blooms (or keep an eye out when they’re due to expire in-store). You’ll certainly get your money's worth.
Been my experience too - but the red ones lady better than the yellow for some reason

Thankyou for taking time to share the article & hints with this forum. Well worth trying.
Easy to see why the Rose has been called "The Queen of the Garden".

Last edited: