Experts weigh in about health benefit claims of apple cider vinegar

Disclaimer: This article should not be considered medical advice. Remember to consult with your doctor before starting a weight loss or diet regimen.

Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has been touted as a natural remedy for various health issues, from managing diabetes to aiding weight loss and even fighting cancer.

But how much of this is based on science, and how much is simply the result of enthusiastic anecdotes and endorsements?

While the health claims may seem appealing, experts cautioned that many of the supposed benefits of ACV have only been observed in laboratory settings, such as Petri dishes, and have not been confirmed in human studies.

Let's dive into the evidence behind the claims and explore the real benefits of apple cider vinegar.

towfiqu-barbhuiya-qxApfY4fGG4-unsplash.jpg
Experts clarified the health benefit claims of apple cider vinegar. Credit: Unsplash

The Science Behind Apple Cider Vinegar and Blood Sugar Control

One of the most substantiated claims about ACV is its potential to help manage blood sugar levels.

A study from 2004 published in the Journal of the American Association of Diabetes found that consuming vinegar with a carbohydrate-rich meal could improve post-meal blood glucose and insulin levels.

This suggested that ACV might help mitigate the blood sugar spikes that can lead to diabetes.

However, it's important to note that while these findings are promising, they don't suggest that ACV can replace diabetes medication.

The studies often involve small sample sizes and short durations, and as Professor Gunter Kuhnle from the University of Reading points out, many are not blinded, which could introduce bias.

'I don’t think they are sufficient to confirm an effect,' Professor Kuhnle said.

Debunking the Myth: Apple Cider Vinegar as a Cancer Cure

The claim that ACV can cure cancer is one that should be approached with extreme caution.

Most studies examining the relationship between vinegar and cancer have been conducted in test tubes, not humans.

While some research has observed that cancer cells can thrive in acidic environments and that ACV becomes alkaline after digestion, there is no substantial evidence to suggest that drinking ACV can combat cancer in the human body.

Apple Cider Vinegar's Effects on Weight Loss

Weight loss is another area where ACV has gained popularity, with some studies indicating that it can help shed pounds.

For instance, research from the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik in Lebanon suggested that consuming a small amount of ACV before breakfast could lose up to 8 kilograms over three months.

However, critics argue that the study was only done on 120 people.

The study was also criticised for its short duration of 12 weeks and the fact that participants were not weight stable at the beginning.

Researchers also admitted they didn’t know why ACV may have a slimming effect, but they argued that weight-loss benefits on animals improved insulin sensitivity and energy levels.

Dr Duane Mellor, a registered dietitian, pointed out that the weight-loss benefits of ACV might not be unique to this particular vinegar.

‘Any vinegar added to a meal slows down how quickly our stomach empties after we eat a meal, so this is not unique to apple cider vinegar,’ he said.

Therefore, while ACV may have a modest effect on weight loss, it's not a magic bullet and should be used as part of a balanced diet and exercise regime.

towfiqu-barbhuiya-IvJjr-3n5HE-unsplash.jpg
Can apple cider vinegar help improve our health? Credit: Unsplash

High Blood Pressure and Cholesterol: Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help?

Claims that ACV can control high blood pressure and cholesterol are widespread, but the evidence is lacking.

While one 2006 study by researchers at Arizona State University showed improvements in blood pressure in rodents, these results have not been replicated in human studies to a degree that would support ACV as a recommended treatment.

Apple Cider Vinegar's Antimicrobial Properties

Vinegar has been used for centuries as a cleaning agent and food preservative, and there is some evidence that ACV may have antimicrobial properties.

A 2005 study suggested that vinegar could reduce the risk of salmonella in contaminated rocket leaves.

Salmonella is known for causing illnesses ranging from gastroenteritis to severe infections that may require hospitalisation.

However, it’s not recommended to rely on this to avoid the risk of salmonella poisoning.

‘It is likely to be anti-microbial, but it has this in common with other vinegar because the acetic acid will kill many (but not all) bugs–I’m a bit sceptical, though, whether this has any effect on the human body as it will be buffered fairly quickly and used for energy (or something else),’ Professor Kuhnle said.

Dr Mellor was also sceptical about the impact of ACV's antimicrobial properties within the human body, as the results are seen in Petri dishes only.

While information is readily available at our fingertips, it’s easy to fall prey to misinformation, especially about health-related topics.

In a previous story, several misconceptions were debunked about the dangers of cancer. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Many of the claimed health benefits of apple cider vinegar, such as cancer curing and weight loss, are not supported by strong evidence from human trials.
  • Some studies suggested apple cider vinegar may help lower blood sugar levels, particularly when consumed with meals containing carbohydrates.
  • Recent research indicated that apple cider vinegar could potentially aid in modest weight loss, but the evidence is inconclusive and has faced criticism.
  • Apple cider vinegar may have antibacterial properties, but these effects are similar to other vinegar, and their impact on the human body is unclear.
What are your thoughts about the claims on apple cider vinegar? Have you heard of any others? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Hello about 20 yrs ago i heard the same claims so went onto ACV but for my body there was no great response, the only thing that happened was the sourness of the A C V was terrible o after 2 months i stopped. now im om Sodium Ascorbate powder in the morning and organic hemp seed oil in the evening and my cancer reading went down from 12.8 to 11.7 in 3 months, next P S A in 3 weeks fingers crossed

I drank 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every morning for 6 months and I believe it helped me shed 17kg. Pretty nasty to swallow at first but you get use to it.

My old boss drank apple cider vinegar in warm water every morning since he was 40.
The last time I spoke to him was narch 2020 and at the age of 78 he has no sickness and was as fit as a fiddle.

He was American and would spend fro November to April every year in Australia then return home to Salt Lake city for 7 months.
I asked him did he every get sick ? His reply was nope thanks to the vinegar

Hello about 20 yrs ago i heard the same claims so went onto ACV but for my body there was no great response, the only thing that happened was the sourness of the A C V was terrible o after 2 months i stopped. now im om Sodium Ascorbate powder in the morning and organic hemp seed oil in the evening and my cancer reading went down from 12.8 to 11.7 in 3 months, next P S A in 3 weeks fingers crossed
🤞🏻

I drank 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every morning for 6 months and I believe it helped me shed 17kg. Pretty nasty to swallow at first but you get use to it.

My old boss drank apple cider vinegar in warm water every morning since he was 40.
The last time I spoke to him was narch 2020 and at the age of 78 he has no sickness and was as fit as a fiddle.

He was American and would spend fro November to April every year in Australia then return home to Salt Lake city for 7 months.
I asked him did he every get sick ? His reply was nope thanks to the vinegar
I too take ACV every day. I have lost 20 kg and my sugar levels have come right down. I’m sure that it is mostly credited to a lifestyle change rather than the ACV but hey, it doesn’t hurt to give it a go. Can remember my Mum raving about ACV for weight loss when I was a kid so it’s definitely not a new thing