Experts warn: Spike in diseases highlights urgent need for increased testing

As we navigate the golden years, health concerns often shift towards chronic conditions and maintaining general well-being.

However, a pressing health issue has been quietly escalating, and it's not just confined to the younger demographic.

The Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia (RCPA) raised the alarm on a nearly 20 per cent increase in gonorrhoea cases from 2022 and 2023, and the rates of syphilis are also climbing sharply.

The trend is particularly alarming as it includes a rise in congenital syphilis, where the infection is passed on to unborn children despite testing levels not increasing.

Associate Professor Caitlin Keighley, a Medical Director, Microbiologist, and Infectious Diseases Physician at Southern IML Pathology, has emphasised the urgency of this public health issue.

1722468818962.png
Australia saw a surge in STI cases, with gonorrhoea up nearly 20 per cent and a spike in syphilis. Credit: Shutterstock

'The rise in STIs such as gonorrhoea, syphilis, and HIV is a pressing public health issue that requires immediate attention in Australia,' Keighley stated.

‘Despite a concerning rise in cases, we are not seeing a corresponding increase in testing rates.’

‘This includes older adults who may not be forthcoming about changes in their sexual practices.’

‘Low testing levels mean that infections can go undiagnosed and untreated, leading to severe health complications and further transmission.’ she added.

‘This leaves many individuals unknowingly at risk and is particularly concerning for pregnant women, where untreated STIs can result in congenital infections with devastating outcomes.’

The situation is even more critical for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, who face 'substantially higher' rates of STIs compared to non-Indigenous Australians, with the prevalence of gonorrhoea and syphilis being over five times higher.

‘Regular STI testing is a simple yet vital step that individuals can take to protect their health and the health of their partners,’

In similar news, the incidence of syphilis in Australia has tripled in the past decade, with a significant rise in cases among women.

The Kirby Institute's report suggested that reduced testing due to COVID-19 contributes to increased STI rates. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• There has been a significant surge in STI cases in Australia, including nearly a 20 per cent increase in gonorrhoea and a spike in syphilis.
  • The rise in STIs has occurred despite testing levels not increasing, risking further undiagnosed and untreated infections.
  • Regular testing has been emphasised as crucial for public health, particularly in light of the risk to pregnant women and their unborn children.
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples experience substantially higher rates of STIs than non-Indigenous Australians.
Have you had experiences with STI testing or conversations with your healthcare provider that you'd be willing to share? Share your insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
In my previous post, I should've mentioned that I've been Very Happily remarried, now, well into our 31yrs with NO HEALTH ASSOCIATED PROBLEMS, & there will never likely to be any. Those free wheeling days are well & truely finished with no regrets.

My 1st marriage was for 18 yrs.

How many of us have experienced such days of excitement, leisure & pleasure with no bearing, in the past of any consequences & issues ?

Is this post on a permanent tape loop? I have seen it not less than three times in the last month and now twice in the same thread!
No idea why it is twice here but if you read it you wi see it is updated from previous times and will be updated every time another scaremongering disease is posted.
For someone who doesn't care, you sure keep a detailed catalogue. I'm not criticising; I'm impressed.
Never said I didn‘t care.
Just stating how ridiculous the media and health authorities are with all their scaremongering..
Just like interest rates.
One Fay the media are scaremongering about more rate increases, next day they say they will be on hold!
Things don’t change that dramatically but the media scaremongering never stops.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
No idea why it is twice here but if you read it you wi see it is updated from previous times and will be updated every time another scaremongering disease is posted.

Never said I didn‘t care.
Just stating how ridiculous the media and health authorities are with all their scaremongering..
Just like interest rates.
One Fay the media are scaremongering about more rate increases, next day they say they will be on hold!
Things don’t change that dramatically but the media scaremongering never stops.
Scaremongering isn't just reserved for diseases and rate rises.

Take a look at the Bureau of Meteorology. About two years ago, they issued a warning to the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne for "torrential rain, flash flooding, hail, severe thunderstorms and dangerous winds"

Living on a flood prone street in Dandenong at the time, I though it was funtime coming. I was extremely disappointed when the resultant rain was lucky to wet the roads and footpaths with the winds lucky to blow out a candle! If that was an indication of the accuracy of forecasting six hours before an event, what chance has the BoM of predicting global warming. HA HA!

A once respected organisation has been reduced to a rabble of fools relying on crystal balls and roulette wheels to forecast the weather a mere few hours into the future!

You really are an utter twerp. You trump Trump. A Professor from an Australian Institute notes and warns that syphilis and gonorrheoa are increasing amongst Australia's population and that babes born to mothers who have these STIs are at risk of long term damage, and you go ballistic about scaremongering by the World Health Oganisation. Shouldn't we talk about STIs and other bugs that can cause mayhem in individuals that have the misfortune to catch the
You really are an utter twerp. You trump Trump. A Professor from an Australian Institute notes and warns that syphilis and gonorrheoa are increasing amongst Australia's population and that babes born to mothers who have these STIs are at risk of long term damage, and you go ballistic about scaremongering by the World Health Oganisation. Shouldn't we talk about STIs and other bugs that can cause mayhem in individuals that have the misfortune to catch them?
Firstly: Twerp? Avery small vocabulary you have.
Secondly: I guess I didn’t elaborate on the statement #44. The media stated that it would kill thousands if and when it hit the earth. Well that did not happen. I am happy for you to live your life believing everything you are told.

Scaremongering isn't just reserved for diseases and rate rises.

Take a look at the Bureau of Meteorology. About two years ago, they issued a warning to the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne for "torrential rain, flash flooding, hail, severe thunderstorms and dangerous winds"

Living on a flood prone street in Dandenong at the time, I though it was funtime coming. I was extremely disappointed when the resultant rain was lucky to wet the roads and footpaths with the winds lucky to blow out a candle! If that was an indication of the accuracy of forecasting six hours before an event, what chance has the BoM of predicting global warming. HA HA!

A once respected organisation has been reduced to a rabble of fools relying on crystal balls and roulette wheels to forecast the weather a mere few hours into the future!
I think #46 & #47 covers this.
See attached list!

We are doomed.

What is going to kill us according to media scaremongering compiled from 2021.

1: Influenza,

2: Covid-19,

3: Delta & Omicron BA4 & BA-5 and CENTAURUS

4: MonkeyPox,

5: Japanese Encephalitis,

6: Polio,

7: Measels,

8: Dengue Fever,

9: Global STI,

10: Diphtheria,

11: RSV,

12: Foot and Mouth,

13: Marburg - Ebola like,

14:Ebola,

15: Varroa Mite,

16: Death by space junk,

17: Earth Rotating 1.59 milliseconds faster than the normal 24 hours causing:

Climate change - floods, cold & heat,

18: Nuclear war,

19: Listeria

20: SOLAR FLARES

21: Langya Henipavirus

22: Meningococcal

23: Tomato Flu

24: Add variant BA.2.75 to #3 on the Covid list!

25: Toxoplasma gondii parasite

26: Murder Hornets

27: MYSTERY ILLNESS

28: Once in 50 year floods

29: Leptospirosis

30: Ross River virus

31: Zika virus

32: Buruli Ulcers

33: West Nile Fever

34: Skeeter Syndrome

35: Malaria

36: New Covid variants - BQ.1 & “Nightmare” variant XXB

So we have had Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Omnicron BA-4& BA-5,Centaurus

BA-2.75 and now BQ.1.1 (Cerberus), XBB.1.5 (Kraken)

37: Mosquitoes

38: Funnel Web Spiders

39: Covid Variant XBF

40: Supermassive Black hole - Earth to be devoured!

41: Covid Strain Kraken XBB.1.5 - “the worst in the world”

42: Covid strain Eric’s EG.5.1

43: Medical experts are warning a looming “triple threat virus” could hit Australia hard during flu season this winter (2023) — so now is the time to get vaccinated to avoid serious illness.

A new mix of illnesses is set to emerge in the colder season, with a combination of the flu, COVID-19 and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) creating a horror run of widespread illness in countries across the northern hemisphere.

44: Asteroid hitting earth (This certainly hasn’t happened)

45: Scarlet Fever

46: El Niño - Extreme Heat, Fires, Droughts

(September, October, November & December 2023)

47: Deadly Thunderstorm Asthma season - violent thunderstorms causing deadly

Asthma (How can this be in El Niño conditions?)(September 2023)

48: Legionnaires Disease (Devastating consequences from potting mix) - (September 2023)

49: Latest Covid variant: Pirola BA.2.86 “Highly Mutated”

One case in Australia as of 21st September 2023

50: Opioid Fentanyl - 1,000’s of overdoses in Victoria (26th September 2023)

51: Metapneumovirus (HMPV) - NSW (September 2023)

52: Whooping Cough (November2023)

53: Confirmed cases of influenza, COVID-19, and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) made a 'triple whammy' of health threats, straining healthcare systems and communities. (Winter 2024)

54: New Covid variant “FLIRT” - More contagious but less severe. (Winter 2024)

55: Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) - (May 2024)

56: Avian Influenza - New deadly strain. H5N1 - (July2024)

57: Legionnaires Disease (Devastating consequences from potting mix) - (September 2023

[#48]& August 2024). Did kill us in 2023 and won’t in 2024

58: STI - Syphilis & Gonorrhoea. (August 2024) New report flags major increase in sexually transmitted infections, amidst challenges in HIV and hepatitis

Future virus and or Pandemics!

1: Coronaviridae

2: Flaviviridae

3: Togaviridae

4: Orthomyxoviridae

5: Paramyxoviridae

• Haha
You really are an utter twerp. You trump Trump. A Professor from an Australian Institute notes and warns that syphilis and gonorrheoa are increasing amongst Australia's population and that babes born to mothers who have these STIs are at risk of long term damage, and you go ballistic about scaremongering by the World Health Oganisation. Shouldn't we talk about STIs and other bugs that can cause mayhem in individuals that have the misfortune to catch them?

I think #46 & #47 covers this.
See attached list!

We are doomed.

What is going to kill us according to media scaremongering compiled from 2021.

1: Influenza,

2: Covid-19,

3: Delta & Omicron BA4 & BA-5 and CENTAURUS

4: MonkeyPox,

5: Japanese Encephalitis,

6: Polio,

7: Measels,

8: Dengue Fever,

9: Global STI,

10: Diphtheria,

11: RSV,

12: Foot and Mouth,

13: Marburg - Ebola like,

14:Ebola,

15: Varroa Mite,

16: Death by space junk,

17: Earth Rotating 1.59 milliseconds faster than the normal 24 hours causing:

Climate change - floods, cold & heat,

18: Nuclear war,

19: Listeria

20: SOLAR FLARES

21: Langya Henipavirus

22: Meningococcal

23: Tomato Flu

24: Add variant BA.2.75 to #3 on the Covid list!

25: Toxoplasma gondii parasite

26: Murder Hornets

27: MYSTERY ILLNESS

28: Once in 50 year floods

29: Leptospirosis

30: Ross River virus

31: Zika virus

32: Buruli Ulcers

33: West Nile Fever

34: Skeeter Syndrome

35: Malaria

36: New Covid variants - BQ.1 & “Nightmare” variant XXB

So we have had Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Omnicron BA-4& BA-5,Centaurus

BA-2.75 and now BQ.1.1 (Cerberus), XBB.1.5 (Kraken)

37: Mosquitoes

38: Funnel Web Spiders

39: Covid Variant XBF

40: Supermassive Black hole - Earth to be devoured!

41: Covid Strain Kraken XBB.1.5 - “the worst in the world”

42: Covid strain Eric’s EG.5.1

43: Medical experts are warning a looming “triple threat virus” could hit Australia hard during flu season this winter (2023) — so now is the time to get vaccinated to avoid serious illness.

A new mix of illnesses is set to emerge in the colder season, with a combination of the flu, COVID-19 and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) creating a horror run of widespread illness in countries across the northern hemisphere.

44: Asteroid hitting earth (This certainly hasn’t happened)

45: Scarlet Fever

46: El Niño - Extreme Heat, Fires, Droughts

(September, October, November & December 2023)

47: Deadly Thunderstorm Asthma season - violent thunderstorms causing deadly

Asthma (How can this be in El Niño conditions?)(September 2023)

48: Legionnaires Disease (Devastating consequences from potting mix) - (September 2023)

49: Latest Covid variant: Pirola BA.2.86 “Highly Mutated”

One case in Australia as of 21st September 2023

50: Opioid Fentanyl - 1,000’s of overdoses in Victoria (26th September 2023)

51: Metapneumovirus (HMPV) - NSW (September 2023)

52: Whooping Cough (November2023)

53: Confirmed cases of influenza, COVID-19, and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) made a 'triple whammy' of health threats, straining healthcare systems and communities. (Winter 2024)

54: New Covid variant “FLIRT” - More contagious but less severe. (Winter 2024)

55: Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) - (May 2024)

56: Avian Influenza - New deadly strain. H5N1 - (July2024)

57: Legionnaires Disease (Devastating consequences from potting mix) - (September 2023

[#48]& August 2024). Did kill us in 2023 and won’t in 2024

58: STI - Syphilis & Gonorrhoea. (August 2024) New report flags major increase in sexually transmitted infections, amidst challenges in HIV and hepatitis

Future virus and or Pandemics!

1: Coronaviridae

2: Flaviviridae

3: Togaviridae

4: Orthomyxoviridae

5: Paramyxoviridae
Where do you get all this s..t from,?

Reactions: DLHM
I guess you don’t care about all the scaremongering bullshit you are fed.
If you are happy to believe all the crap you are told then that’s fine by me.But I will continue to add to this list!
Who says I believe “all the scaremongering bullshit”? I’m quite capable of making up my own mind.

It seems you’re much more scared than I am.

• Haha
if you stop fucking other up the arse you wouldnt get these diseases... Many years ago a member of the royal family died from the same problem

Extra marital affairs that you don't really know the "partner" would probably be a risk, especially if you are already pregnant via your husband or genuine partner