Experts warn about potential breakfast staple cost increase—time to adjust your habits?

For many Australians, the day begins once they've savoured that first sip of coffee.

It's a ritual that provides a caffeine kick and a moment of pleasure before the day's demands kick in.

However, this cherished routine might soon hit the wallet harder than ever.

Experts are sounding the alarm that the cost of your daily brew could rise significantly, with little relief in sight for the foreseeable future.

The global coffee market is experiencing a perfect storm of challenges driving up prices.

The demand for coffee continues to grow, but supply is struggling to keep up.

Severe weather events have wreaked havoc on coffee crops in key producing countries like Brazil, which supplies 70 per cent of the world's high-quality arabica beans, and Vietnam, which is responsible for 30 perc ent of the robusta bean market.

1724895190990.png
Coffee prices in Australia are set to rise due to global demand, bad weather, and higher shipping costs. Credit: Shutterstock

These disruptions directly impact the cost of coffee beans and, ultimately, the price of your morning cup.

The logistics of getting coffee to your local café have become more complex and expensive.

Dr Vinh Thai, a professor of logistics and supply chain management at RMIT, pointed out that the increasing cost of container shipping rates and other supply chain issues are significant contributors to the rising cost of coffee.

These increased costs may leave roasters with no choice but to pass them on to cafes, which may then have to increase the price for consumers.

This potential price hike comes as Australians already feel the pinch from the cost of living.

Dr Thai warns that the added financial pressure could negatively affect customers' lifestyles and may even lead to changes in coffee consumption habits.

Such changes could threaten the Australian coffee industry, which employs almost 70,000 people.

Abdullah Ramay, chief executive of Pablo & Rusty’s Coffee Roasters, noted that cafe owners face challenges.

Despite the rising costs, many cafes still charge less than what is considered a 'survivable' rate.

The dilemma is: Do they continue to sell coffee with little to no profit, or do they risk alienating customers with higher prices?

The sentiment is echoed by Lachlan Ward, chief executive of St Ali coffee roasters. Earlier this year, Ward made headlines by stating that Australians aren't paying enough for their coffee.

He argued that the future of independent cafes is at risk unless prices are adjusted.

The cultural significance of coffee in Australia cannot be understated, and price increases affect more than just the dedicated fans.

Casual drinkers also feel the impact, with some opting for cheaper alternatives, reducing their consumption, or switching to home brewing.

RMIT Associate Professor of Marketing Bernardo Figueiredo acknowledged this but believed that the demand for coffee would remain strong due to its social and lifestyle significance, particularly among younger demographics.

Interestingly, transaction data from digital payments platform Square revealed that Australians are already adjusting their coffee habits.

With the rise of hybrid work arrangements and the high cost of living, there's been a noticeable drop in pre-work takeaway coffee purchases on weekdays.

Conversely, weekend brunch hours are seeing an uptick in transactions.

Cafes adapt to these changes in various ways, such as introducing evening services, closing an extra day, or diversifying their offerings to include groceries and other goods.

Colin Birney, head of business development at Square Australia, notes that the trend towards working from home and packing lunches contributes to the decrease in demand for weekday breakfasts.

In other news, a café customer in Melbourne was taken aback by a 15 per cent surcharge added to the cost of his cappuccino on a public holiday, plus an extra fee for using his card.

The news sparked outrage on social media, with many questioning the reasoning behind such steep surcharges. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • The cost of coffee in Australia is expected to increase due to global demand, inclement weather affecting key coffee markets, and rising shipping rates.
  • Experts warned that cafes may need to pass on increased costs to customers, potentially affecting their spending habits and the Australian coffee industry.
  • Cafe owners are already feeling the strain, with some suggesting that current prices are unsustainable for the industry’s future.
  • Changing work patterns and the high cost of living are leading Australians to alter their coffee consumption habits, with a decrease in weekday coffee purchases and an increase during weekend brunch times.
How will these changes affect your coffee routine? Are you considering brewing at home, or is the café experience too precious to give up? Share your thoughts and strategies in the comments below.

Sponsored
I do like coffee but have never been addicted to it or anything else actually and I only drink 3 cups a day morning afternoon and night and no it doesn't keep me awake
I enjoy one cup a day and have about two cups of tea and I enjoy a glass of red wine at night (not every night but most). Everything in moderation and I am in perfect health for my age which is 80. I walk 30mins a day on my treadmill and get told I do not look my age...so I am happy ;) Fortunately I had parents who had good genes.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
That’s a bit dramatic and unfounded. Also how do you know what the addictive qualities are of either substance. Seems to me you have bit of an addiction to being holier than thou.
Yes I do know they are addictive but to compare coffee to heroin is a bit over the top. What gets up my nose is people like you (keyboard warriors) who have to turn a simple topic like the price of coffee into a long drawn out diatribe about people who have issues with different things. Yes I like coffee so get off your high horse please.
A bit of back pedalling there! Face the FACTS or give up. Stop denying that caffeine is not a drug. Caffeine is actually in the same class of organic compounds called alkaloids, which include cocaine, ephredrine (precursor of ice), morphine (precursor of heroin) and nicotine. All addictive!

Reactions: DLHM
I do like coffee but have never been addicted to it or anything else actually and I only drink 3 cups a day morning afternoon and night and no it doesn't keep me awake
First thing I do when I start my day is put on the coffee maker. My limit though is usually 1, sometimes 2, or rarely at the very most, 3 cups per day. Wish I could enjoy an evening cuppa, but it keeps me awake.
I really like visiting a cafe and enjoying a good cup of coffee ☕️ (and a bite to eat sometimes too).
Never been addicted to it, but know two people who are.

I'm sure some people struggling on a budget will think twice about buying coffee when not home.
Good Flasks that keep drinks hot for any length of time are expensive to buy but people will save a lot $$$$ within a few months. I know tradies who make coffee in re-usable insulated mugs and drink them before using their flasks

Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
Have you seen a heroin addicted person in the flesh? Have you seen the social and psychological implications of heroin addiction on the addicts' families? Are you, or have been, a heroin user? Do you know anybody who has died of a heroin overdose?

I have seen countless persons under the influence of heroin. I have been offered heroin many times but flatly refused. I have seen heroin addicts threaten people at gunpoint to force their victims to hand over money, jewellery and anything of value to supply their "habit". Heroin addicts are a desperate and destructive species. Ever seen an alcoholic holdup their parents for money to buy a bottle of bourbon?

At least 12 males from my year at high school died from heroin overdoses BEFORE they reached the age of 21. That doesn't matter to you because heroin isn't addictive.

I await your uninformed reply.
Who stated that Heroin isn’t addictive???