Experts reveal scammers are outsmarting people on online marketplaces

In the digital era, online marketplaces have become akin to modern-day bazaars, brimming with promising bargains, rare finds, and convenience.

Yet, this virtual paradise is not without its disadvantages.

Now that the risk of scams is an ever-present shadow over transactions, the threat is even more pronounced.

Research from Finder revealed ten per cent of Australians have been ensnared by schemes while selling their second-hand items online, with each victim losing an average of $560 in just the past year.

Five per cent of respondents were scammed once, and another five per cent were scammed more than once. Around 15 per cent of respondents did not fall prey to scammers.

shutterstock_2247888569.jpg
Scammers target online buyers and sellers on online marketplaces. Credit: Shutterstock

According to Finder Money Expert Angus Kidman, the figures are worrisome.

‘There's a lot of people doing it tough who are selling unwanted items to make some spare cash,’ he said.

‘But instead of a cash injection, unsuspecting Aussies are falling victim to fraudsters.’

‘No matter what type of stuff you're selling, criminals will try to take advantage of sellers.’

But all is not lost. Kidman said there are red flags to watch out for.

One particular trick involves scammers requesting to pay for goods through PayID and then arranging a ‘relative’ to collect the item.

‘Never divulge personal information and never click on a link sent to you in text or email associated with the sale as it could be a virus or worse,’ Kidman said.

He also warned online sellers to be extra vigilant.

‘If you're selling on a social media platform, click on the potential buyer's profile and see if they look legitimate and have any ratings as a buyer,’ he said.

‘Some swindlers try to convince sellers that they had transferred too much money as payment for the item being sold, and request they transfer the difference back. An overpayment is always a scam.’

‘Accepting cash only on collection in a public place is one way to ensure you don't get scammed,’ he added.

Here are some of Finder’s tips to stay scam-safe:
  • Do not send money to strangers, no matter the situation.
  • Opt to pay by credit card as it provides recourse if problems arise.
  • Exercise caution with unsolicited emails; legitimate service providers won't ask for personal information or passwords via email.
  • Trust your instincts; scammers often use pressure tactics. If unsure, take your time and conduct a quick online search to verify suspicions.
Tip
If you have been scammed or know someone who has, please report it to Scamwatch here. You may also visit our Scam Watch forum to be updated on the latest scam updates.
Scams cost people not only their money but also their time and trust.

In a previous story, a couple bought a trailer on an online marketplace, thinking they found the perfect trailer.

However, they soon realised an online scammer had deceived them. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• New research indicated that 10 per cent of Australians surveyed have been scammed on online marketplaces.
  • On average, victims lost $560 to scams while trying to sell second-hand items online in the past year.
  • Finder's Money Expert Angus Kidman highlighted the dangers of scammers in the second-hand market and offered advice on red flags and safe selling practices.
  • Finder provided tips for staying scam-safe, including never sending money to strangers, paying by credit card, being wary of unsolicited emails, and trusting your instincts.
Have you or someone you know encountered a scam in an online marketplace? What steps did you take to protect yourself? Share them with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Similar happened to me on Gumtree. Selling a kids toy and buyer asked if he could pay and his son pick up tomorrow. Being a kids toy I thought it may be genuine. Gave him my pp email. He said he sent the money but I didn't receive it. Was then told I should receive an email. The email said something about the amount was too much for my receiving limits and I would need to deposit money to fix it.
Realising I was being scammed I wrote back...why are you trying to scam me?
He never replied. I then changed my paypal password and notified paypal f the incident.

I have never had an issue with gumtree or marketplace. I always make sure I have male family members at home when people come to look at the item. CASH only on pickup. Not interested in any other pay method or sob stories.

Reactions: Joydie
About a year ago my husband advertised something on Facebook Marketplace. Almost immediately he was contacted by someone who said he would buy the item sight unseen. His 'nephew' worked close to our suburb and would collect it on his way home from work that afternoon.

My husband asked for payment through PayPal, but the alleged buyer said that the most convenient method of payment for the buyer and seller is pay ID. Knowing nothing about this, hubby rang the Commonwealth Bank and was put straight through to the Fraud Department. The lady he spoke to told him that she could supply him with a pay ID, but that would give the alleged buyer entry to his account.

She was able to quote the scammer's words almost exactly, because their approach never varies much. Hubby now insists on cash on pick up. It may reduce the market, but it's the only safe way.

Reactions: Colette 3799
About a year ago my husband advertised something on Facebook Marketplace. Almost immediately he was contacted by someone who said he would buy the item sight unseen. His 'nephew' worked close to our suburb and would collect it on his way home from work that afternoon.

My husband asked for payment through PayPal, but the alleged buyer said that the most convenient method of payment for the buyer and seller is pay ID. Knowing nothing about this, hubby rang the Commonwealth Bank and was put straight through to the Fraud Department. The lady he spoke to told him that she could supply him with a pay ID, but that would give the alleged buyer entry to his account.

She was able to quote the scammer's words almost exactly, because their approach never varies much. Hubby now insists on cash on pick up. It may reduce the market, but it's the only safe way.
If buyers are genuine, they will pay with cash. I have also bought items and the seller insists on cash, no problem.

Reactions: Joydie
I was giving away two couches and a scammer tried his luck. He wanted to pay me to ship it to the UK. He had speech ready of how to get the money to me to send the couch. I just said don’t be ridiculous. Nice try, I don’t scam easily. He carried on about how he wasn’t a scammer and tried to explain again. I just said jog on, its not happening.

I would never consider buying or selling on any social media site, and, definitely do not go to places like Gumtree because I refuse to give my address to unknown people.
This kind of buy/sell is not a good way to go for this household.