Status
Not open for further replies.

Experts reveal new COVID-19 sub-variants that may spark surge in cases

As the seasons shift and the chill of winter approaches, Australians are not only pulling out their warm coats but also bracing for the inevitable sniffles and coughs that accompany the colder months.

However, this year, there's an added concern on the horizon: a new set of COVID-19 sub-variants, which health experts warn could drive a fresh wave of cases during flu season.

The FLiRT sub-variants are descendants of the JN.1 variant—an offshoot of the aggressive Omicron variant.

The sub-variants have already made headlines across the US and Europe.

Professor Catherine Bennett, the Epidemiology Chair of Deakin University, noted that these sub-variants have been detected in Australia since February.

Fortunately, the population was shielded thanks to immunity from recent infections and vaccinations.

compressed-pexels-artempodrez-5726794.jpeg
The COVID-19 FLiRT subvariants made waves in the US and Europe, and have been detected in Australia earlier this year. Image Credit: Pexels/Artem Podrez

Yet, FLiRT's highly transmissible nature is expected to fuel the next wave of infections, with a peak anticipated around June.

The symptoms associated with FLiRT are likely to mirror those of other COVID variants.

However, the severity can vary from person to person.

'It still has the potential to make people very sick,' Professor Bennett emphasised.

She urged citizens to update their boosters, which remain the best defence in the coming weeks and months as the following COVID wave approaches.

Vaccinations, she reminds us, can be the difference between a mild illness and a hospital stay.

One of the FLiRT sub-variants, KP.2, became the dominant coronavirus strain in the US.

According to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data, over a quarter of their recent COVID cases were of this variant.

A related variant, KP.1.1, is responsible for about seven per cent of cases.

'We learned from the laboratories that FLiRT variants appeared, so far, to be as transmissible as the other Omicron sub-variants, which means they're quite contagious,' Dr William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University, shared.

In previous news, healthcare experts warned about the possible rise of triple-threat viruses that may affect Australians during winter.

COVID cases have seen a 37 per cent increase, along with the rise of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).

In light of these developments, authorities and healthcare professionals urged people to get vaccinated for the flu and to stay home if feeling unwell.

Professor Bennett also suggested that it 'pays to think about' a return to mask-wearing, especially for public transport and those more vulnerable to illness.

'I'd prefer to wear a mask than have an infection,' she stated.

SDC member @Lissu2 agreed with the healthcare precaution: 'I am the same, wearing masks in crowded places, always carry sanitiser.'

As we navigate this new wave of COVID cases, staying informed and proactive about our health is essential.

We encourage members to consult with their healthcare providers about the best course of action, whether getting the latest booster shot or adopting preventive measures like mask-wearing in crowded places.

Stay safe and well, members!
Key Takeaways

• Health experts predicted that new COVID-19 sub-variants, nicknamed FLiRT, will drive a fresh wave of COVID-19 cases this winter.
  • The FLiRT sub-variants are highly transmissible descendants of the JN.1 variant and have been detected in Australia since February.
  • Vaccines remain the best protection against the predicted surge in cases, and updates to boosters are recommended to keep people out of the hospital.
  • Alongside the rise in COVID cases, flu and other respiratory virus cases are increasing, which prompted authorities to encourage vaccinations and other preventive measures in public spaces.
What do you think about this new COVID variant? What safety measures are you applying to keep you and your family safe? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I’m 77 all I’ve had is the Astra Zenica vaxs, 2nd one I had bad reaction, chest pains, abdominal pains extremely sore throat. I’ve not had any boosters nor have I had Covid. Had plenty of tests as have been in hospital quite a number of times. I do have quite a number of health issues. My Dr told me to take zinc, Vit c, Vit d and magnesium. I am pretty careful, haven’t been wearing a mask, but do keep my distance. I don’t go out that much because of our economic situation.

I contracted Covid after having 4 vacs,but apart from one day feeling grosse and taking anti virals I was not too bad. Wouldn't want it again though

I’m 77 all I’ve had is the Astra Zenica vaxs, 2nd one I had bad reaction, chest pains, abdominal pains extremely sore throat. I’ve not had any boosters nor have I had Covid. Had plenty of tests as have been in hospital quite a number of times. I do have quite a number of health issues. My Dr told me to take zinc, Vit c, Vit d and magnesium. I am pretty careful, haven’t been wearing a mask, but do keep my distance. I don’t go out that much because of our economic situation.
Your doctor is so correct. Most of this rubbish is not a virus but a reaction ot someone your body does not like. A toxin in the air. Even something you have eaten can cause the same issues. I'm 74, just had the worst bug in years. Had antibiotics. Also had been told I have atrial fibrillation. I don't but I have an issue that looks like low potassium and magnesium. I'm not on an electrolyte mix, have ordered vitamin D3 and K2 drops (most are low on D.). Zinc is really important too. And get out into the sunshine for short times without sunscreen. Sunscreen is poison. Never wear a mask. They collect bacteria from the mouth and you breath ti back into your lungs. I had 3 instances where it was supposed to wear one but didn't. We don't go out a lot but all the way through covid we had people coming and going doing jobs here and visitors. Neither of us got sick. Most sickness is from bad diet and doing what the government tells us which is garbage

Reality is this crap is all fabricated to put fear into people. There is no such thing as viruses. A doctor has a million dollar reward out for anyone who can show him a virus or breed it in a petrie dish. Nothing so far. All junk science. Mostly it's either bacteria or the body detoxing from food or something in your environment I just had a beauty. Really sick and got antibiotics to make sure the lungs didn't get involve. All tests show I am fine now but low on potassium and magnesium and probably vitamin D3 and K2 which I have bought supplements for

• Sad
Reactions: 52-KID
Another awful article. Thankfully most readers are more informed ( or honest) than the 'writers'.

Your doctor is so correct. Most of this rubbish is not a virus but a reaction ot someone your body does not like. A toxin in the air. Even something you have eaten can cause the same issues. I'm 74, just had the worst bug in years. Had antibiotics. Also had been told I have atrial fibrillation. I don't but I have an issue that looks like low potassium and magnesium. I'm not on an electrolyte mix, have ordered vitamin D3 and K2 drops (most are low on D.). Zinc is really important too. And get out into the sunshine for short times without sunscreen. Sunscreen is poison. Never wear a mask. They collect bacteria from the mouth and you breath ti back into your lungs. I had 3 instances where it was supposed to wear one but didn't. We don't go out a lot but all the way through covid we had people coming and going doing jobs here and visitors. Neither of us got sick. Most sickness is from bad diet and doing what the government tells us which is garbage

Reality is this crap is all fabricated to put fear into people. There is no such thing as viruses. A doctor has a million dollar reward out for anyone who can show him a virus or breed it in a petrie dish. Nothing so far. All junk science. Mostly it's either bacteria or the body detoxing from food or something in your environment I just had a beauty. Really sick and got antibiotics to make sure the lungs didn't get involve. All tests show I am fine now but low on potassium and magnesium and probably vitamin D3 and K2 which I have bought supplements for
Have a read.This is about the smallpox virus and has photomicrograhs, plus a nice bit of history. The first photomicrographs of viruses were taken in the 1930s. The reference is on the web (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9659681/ ) and you don't have to pay to read it.

Applied Microscopy. 2022 Dec; 52: 11.
Published online 2022 Nov 14. doi: 10.1186/s42649-022-00080-3
PMCID: PMC9659681
PMID: 36372822

Poxvirus under the eyes of electron microscope​

Jaekyung Hyun
corresponding author

"Fortunately, the population was shielded thanks to immunity from recent infections and vaccinations." Ha, ha, too freakin funny. Do you mean the Astra Zeneca vaccination which has now been removed from healthcare worldwide because it causes blood clots? Just wait for it. I have no doubt the Pfizer and Moderna brands will follow...

Stop the sh*thouse reporting SDC, it's beginning to get on a lot of your member's nerves...

Reactions: summadale
No such thing as a virus !!! Really , please tell my body there is no such thing as a virus. I'm in bed now with a headache , a nose like a tap and fever and a really bad cough.
At least this time it isn't covid .
View attachment 49398

"Currently, flu medications work by tackling the virus once it has already infected the body. However, researchers at Scripps Research and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine are taking a proactive approach. They have developed drug-like molecules aimed at preventing influenza infections before they start by blocking the initial stage of the viral infection process.

The drug-like inhibitors block the virus from entering the body’s respiratory cells—specifically, they target hemagglutinin, a protein on the surface of type A influenza viruses. The findings, published on May 16, 2024, in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), represent an important step forward in developing a drug that can prevent influenza infection."

It seems that the Scripps Institute can (in due course and if we last the next 5 years) make life less uncomfortable, as long as the pill gets on the PBS. There is a huge amount of research also going into RNAi which includes getting modified RNA into cells to reduce/knock over the genetically-induced problems that cause serious disabilities.

"The [MIT] researchers had done foundational work to understand how RNAi, which is a naturally occurring process, works to silence genes through the degradation of messenger RNA. But it was their decision to found Alnylam in 2002 that attracted the funding and expertise necessary to turn their discoveries into a new class of medicines. Since that decision, Alnylam has made remarkable progress taking RNAi from an interesting scientific discovery to an impactful new treatment pathway.

Today Alnylam has five medicines approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (one Alnylam-discovered RNAi therapeutic is licensed to Novartis) and a rapidly expanding clinical pipeline. The company’s approved medicines are for debilitating, sometimes fatal conditions that many patients have grappled with for decades with few other options.

The company estimates its treatments helped more than 5,000 patients in 2023 alone. Behind that number are patient stories that illustrate how Alnylam has changed lives. A mother of three says Alnylam’s treatments helped her take back control of her life after being bedridden with attacks associated with the rare genetic disease acute intermittent porphyria (AIP). Another patient reported that one of the company’s treatments helped her attend her daughter’s wedding. A third patient, who had left college due to frequent AIP attacks, was able to return to school."

So one day .............

Well I've had my jab for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and am glad I did. Also wear a mask in enclosed spaces and if anybody is sneezing close by.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Well I've had my jab for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and am glad I did. Also wear a mask in enclosed spaces and if anybody is sneezing close by.
Those quotes are from SciTech Daily, a science e-zine reviewing recent developments in science. Worthwhile reading.

Face-masks. They also stop the wearer from spreading disease through their coughs and sneezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×