Experts reveal how downsizing could be the unexpected solution to the housing crisis

As the population continues to grow and the number of available housing properties unable to keep up, many realise how hard it can be to find rental properties and land titles within their desired budget.

But it can be particularly difficult for those who are retired and living on a tight budget.

The housing issue is more complex than many know, and, according to one particular economist, the idea of seniors downsizing their lifelong homes could turn out to be the answer to housing issues.

'It's quite a complicated process and we do need to make it simpler,' Downsizing Economist Michael Blythe said.

'We talk about a housing shortage in Australia, but what economists will tell you is we've got an excess of bedrooms, just not in the right place...maybe instead of first home buyers, we should be thinking about last home buyers.'

SDC 13.png
Downsizing may be one of the solutions to the housing crisis. Image source: pch.vector on Freepik.

Blythe stated that by urging retirees to downsize from the multi-bedroom houses they have settled in for decades—to smaller and more cost-efficient homes—larger homes that are more suitable for families could be freed up.

But not everyone wants to consider this option, and those who do, often find taking such a huge step this late in life is daunting.

Data showed that one-third of the baby boomer generation feels that their house might be too big for them.

Couple Ros and Ken Vaughn, aged 73 and 80, respectively, explained how the maintenance of their Carrs Park home—where they had lived for 38 years— was becoming too much for them, and they decided it was time to make a change.

'It wasn't an easy decision initially, but then I saw Ken up on the roof—the maintenance on this house was beginning to show,' Ros Vaughan said.

'We knew we had to find the right place for us, while we were fit enough to do it.'

The couple decided to move into Oasis Apartments in Peakhurst.

But while Ros and Ken may see downsizing as an ideal way to make their life simpler, the process of moving as well as freeing up the equity may not be as easy.

'They're asset-rich but cash-poor, and we need to find some way to rationalise that,' Mr Blythe said.

'We need to find a way to generate income for this group and get them into dwellings.'

There are options available on how to make the transition into a smaller house a breeze.

Those over 55 years of age are able to take advantage of the Downsizer Contribution Scheme, which means they can directly place $300,000 from the sale of their home into their super account.

'One of the hidden secrets of downsizing given the returns super funds generate, the average downsizer is looking at an extra $20,000.'

'It's essentially a deposit bond, so it's not like a reverse mortgage, it's not like bridging loans—all of which are quite expensive,' Mr Blythe added.

That said, the growth of online property platforms has made checking properties available more simple.

'There's mostly independent living (properties), there's retirement villages, there are land lease communities,' CEO of Downsizing.com.au, Amanda Graham said.

'Obviously people are very emotionally attached to their home, (but) it can free people up to have the sort of lifestyle that they want.'
Key Takeaways
  • Seniors in Australia are being encouraged to downsize their homes which could help ease Australia's housing crisis.
  • However, many retirees are hesitant due to the complicated process, upfront costs, and personal attachment to their homes.
  • The Downsizer Contribution Scheme allows anyone over 55 to put up to $300,000 from the sale of their home directly into their super account.
  • Moreover, some online property platforms offer solutions for those looking to move to a smaller property, including a comparative tool to compare available properties.
Members, what are your thoughts on downsizing? Would you consider doing this? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
These so called experts are idiots! Why should seniors downsize to help solve the housing crisis? Seniors have done enough in their time to help with everything over time. There is a better solution to solving the housing crisis STOP people buying multiple homes, that would put Thousands of houses back into the market. All this is doing is making the rich richer and creating a have and have have not society, so a win Winn in my book.
I disagree, people who have multiple homes generally rent them out. Stopping people bying more than one house is not going to stop the housing crisis. There are houses for sale everywhere it is the cost that is prohibitive. The government should have continued to build and supply social housing, that is their job. Buying an extra home and renting it out to my son ensures that he and his family have roof over their heads and the security in knowing rent is not continually going to increase or have the house sold to new owner/occupier . In this current market they are unable to afford to purchase their own home. There is a 25 year wait for social housing in our area.

I also am sad that I have to downsize as I have a mortgage which takes nearly all of my carers payment. I am 66. We were going ok until my husband passed nearly 2 years ago and I only have my son who I care for. I get 67% of my husbands super which is $340 a fortnight. Not a lot to pay for maintenance needed on my home which we built as owner builders. I work part time but Centrelink take half of what I earn but a couple of hundred extra helps but still not enough to pay for food, bills and maintenance. Having so many memories here with my husband of 45 years is making it very sad for me to move. I just want to be mortgage free. Our home is quite big for a normal 4x2 but getting too much for me to manage. I am hoping to hold out till pension age next June.

And you get this information from where exactly???
A Great Majority of people own 3 or 4 homes which they use themselves.
What LaLa land do you live in???
Maybe a small minority of people do, but a great majority, get real!!.
Sorry to get you upset. I have only 1 house. Paynesville aged care will cost you 1 million to get in. Eastwood retirement village cost you $600.000. Mine house might be $400.000 to sell. Where do I get that money from. I don't have super, haven't been able to work for a long time, due to suicidal depression.
Sorry I stay by my initial story

Reactions: Littleboy8
As the population continues to grow and the number of available housing properties unable to keep up, many realise how hard it can be to find rental properties and land titles within their desired budget.

But it can be particularly difficult for those who are retired and living on a tight budget.

The housing issue is more complex than many know, and, according to one particular economist, the idea of seniors downsizing their lifelong homes could turn out to be the answer to housing issues.

'It's quite a complicated process and we do need to make it simpler,' Downsizing Economist Michael Blythe said.

'We talk about a housing shortage in Australia, but what economists will tell you is we've got an excess of bedrooms, just not in the right place...maybe instead of first home buyers, we should be thinking about last home buyers.'

View attachment 31475
Downsizing may be one of the solutions to the housing crisis. Image source: pch.vector on Freepik.

Blythe stated that by urging retirees to downsize from the multi-bedroom houses they have settled in for decades—to smaller and more cost-efficient homes—larger homes that are more suitable for families could be freed up.

But not everyone wants to consider this option, and those who do, often find taking such a huge step this late in life is daunting.

Data showed that one-third of the baby boomer generation feels that their house might be too big for them.

Couple Ros and Ken Vaughn, aged 73 and 80, respectively, explained how the maintenance of their Carrs Park home—where they had lived for 38 years— was becoming too much for them, and they decided it was time to make a change.

'It wasn't an easy decision initially, but then I saw Ken up on the roof—the maintenance on this house was beginning to show,' Ros Vaughan said.

'We knew we had to find the right place for us, while we were fit enough to do it.'

But while Ros and Ken may see downsizing as an ideal way to make their life simpler, the process of moving as well as freeing up the equity may not be as easy.

'They're asset-rich but cash-poor, and we need to find some way to rationalise that,' Mr Blythe said.

'We need to find a way to generate income for this group and get them into dwellings.'

There are options available on how to make the transition into a smaller house a breeze.

Those over 55 years of age are able to take advantage of the Downsizer Contribution Scheme, which means they can directly place $300,000 from the sale of their home into their super account.

'One of the hidden secrets of downsizing given the returns super funds generate, the average downsizer is looking at an extra $20,000.'

'It's essentially a deposit bond, so it's not like a reverse mortgage, it's not like bridging loans—all of which are quite expensive,' Mr Blythe added.

That said, the growth of online property platforms has made checking properties available more simple.

'There's mostly independent living (properties), there's retirement villages, there are land lease communities,' CEO of Downsizing.com.au, Amanda Graham said.

'Obviously people are very emotionally attached to their home, (but) it can free people up to have the sort of lifestyle that they want.'
Key Takeaways

• Seniors in Australia are being encouraged to downsize their homes which could help ease Australia's housing crisis.
  • However, many retirees are hesitant due to the complicated process, upfront costs, and personal attachment to their homes.
  • The Downsizer Contribution Scheme allows anyone over 55 to put up to $300,000 from the sale of their home directly into their super account.
  • Moreover, some online property platforms offer solutions for those looking to move to a smaller property, including a comparative tool to compare available properties.
Members, what are your thoughts on downsizing? Would you consider doing this? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Stopping people buying multiple homes won't stop the housing crisis. These homes are rented out to house someone who can't be bothered or just can't save a deposit. Does it matter who owns it, it is still a home to live in.
You are right, we actually NEED people to buy and rent out homes for those who can't afford to buy. It would help immensely if the rental market hadn't gone crazy!

Sorry to get you upset. I have only 1 house. Paynesville aged care will cost you 1 million to get in. Eastwood retirement village cost you $600.000. Mine house might be $400.000 to sell. Where do I get that money from. I don't have super, haven't been able to work for a long time, due to suicidal depression.
That’s really 😞

One of the saddest things is I have to downsize due to health. But my problem is that even though I'm one of the lucky ones, as my house is mortgage free. For me to sell my home and buy one with a smaller block of land, I will still have to get a small mortgage because of the price difference. I live out in a rural setting but would need to move closer to the town, and that' where the problems start. Also, I can't get a loan or a mortgage because I no longer work. So, I'm stuck.
Thank you. I'm in the same situation. No mortgage but not enough to pay for a smaller house. I'm in Bairndale, rural

I am so sorry that you suffer from depression, I know how debilitating this is as my husband suffers from bipolar. I am his carer, as well as carer for my intellectually disabled daughter.
I also realise how expensive aged care facilities, as my brother in law has been in one since he was brain and physically Injured in a car accident at the age of 19, he is now 65.
But none of this has anything to do with the majority of people having 3 or4 houses which they keep for their own use.
Most people who have that many properties, usually have them because they are financially savvy and have enough nouse to know that having that many houses sitting around, making no income is not a smart move.
So what you are saying is that if the population of Australia is 25 million that the majority, so in excess of 22 and a half million of them, have 3 or 4 homes sitting around with noone in them????🤦🤷

I am so sorry that you suffer from depression, I know how debilitating this is as my husband suffers from bipolar. I am his carer, as well as carer for my intellectually disabled daughter.
I also realise how expensive aged care facilities, as my brother in law has been in one since he was brain and physically Injured in a car accident at the age of 19, he is now 65.
But none of this has anything to do with the majority of people having 3 or4 houses which they keep for their own use.
Most people who have that many properties, usually have them because they are financially savvy and have enough nouse to know that having that many houses sitting around, making no income is not a smart move.
So what you are saying is that if the population of Australia is 25 million that the majority, so in excess of 22 and a half million of them, have 3 or 4 homes sitting around with noone in them????🤦🤷
No, I'm not bad at maths, that was a typo, obviously should be 12 and a half million.🤣

These so called experts are idiots! Why should seniors downsize to help solve the housing crisis? Seniors have done enough in their time to help with everything over time. There is a better solution to solving the housing crisis STOP people buying multiple homes, that would put Thousands of houses back into the market. All this is doing is making the rich richer and creating a have and have have not society, so a win Winn in my book.

I agree. I know a person, she had two houses, one was rented out. 2 X was very good. Third one, that house was totally destroyed. $100.000 damage. They had to sell there own home, and make themselves homeless to get those people out. What do you say about that. People get scared if they rent it out, that the house is totally destroyed

View attachment 31475

Key Takeaways

I've been in my house for nearly 40 years, we built it and I have no intention of selling it. It was a struggle when we built our first house. I had jars with electricity, rates, loan, groceries etc and my husbands pay was divided to all these things, so we had enough money to pay everything. We didn't have tons of clothes, hairdressing (I cut everyone's hair including my own) or holidays. Holidays were usually camping near the beach or going to other families homes. Todays kids and young adults want everything first up and they are not prepared to save to get it .Everything is on credit, I never had a credit card till my 40s.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
and where would those wanting to rent live? Thank heavens there are still investors willing to risk their hard earned money when they face such terrible laws giving renters more and more rights - not to mention those that do more damage than the bond can cover

Reactions: mylittletibbies
We have downsized and I must say it is a double edged sword. We ended up in a Land Lease village, not knowing the pros and cons. Happy with the house, made friends, others I would not be happy to be around, the weekly services fee goes up every year, Managers are changed regularly and you never know who you will end up with, so many petty quarrels. I will stay until I feel uncomfortable, keeping my money in interest accounts just in case.

We have downsized and I must say it is a double edged sword. We ended up in a Land Lease village, not knowing the pros and cons. Happy with the house, made friends, others I would not be happy to be around, the weekly services fee goes up every year, Managers are changed regularly and you never know who you will end up with, so many petty quarrels. I will stay until I feel uncomfortable, keeping my money in interest accounts just in case.
That sounds horrible🙀

Stopping people buying multiple homes won't stop the housing crisis. These homes are rented out to house someone who can't be bothered or just can't save a deposit. Does it matter who owns it, it is still a home to live in.
Whilst the government has started allowing 545,000 immigrants, 2022-23 into Australia, where does it think these people will go with the current housing situation of people living in cars. Some still trying to continue working. 545,000 is way too many. Until the Government can provide housing for every Australian, the current numbers need to be whittled down to only those who have an address to live in once they get here.

And you get this information from where exactly???
A Great Majority of people own 3 or 4 homes which they use themselves.
What LaLa land do you live in???
Maybe a small minority of people do, but a great majority, get real!!.
I was thinking exactly the same about you “What planet do you live on” never mind I walk around with my eyes open and where I live quite a few people especially pollies have 2-3 houses, you might want to open your eyes and do the same! I can only think you don’t live in a city but the country where possibly that doesn’t occur.

Reactions: snooty
I just paid off my mortgage due to an inheritance from my 94 yo Dad passing. Whilst with the bank manager, she said you realise to sell your own home to downsize will cost you more in todays' current prices, and there's agent fees and stamp duty. which is lost money. That could be equal to a couple of years pension alone. But she said unless you have the money to buy again, just isn't likely. as few will give a loan. Very few lenders will even look at you. And she said dont get rid of any credit cards either as banks won't give you one if you then decide you need it.
I can now have an art studio where I have heating and cooling, and room for my music and my family history, taking over two small 3m square bedrooms that aren't that big. I want to enjoy my retirement doing my hobbies and not be squashed in something smaller and with pets. I've done my time living in housing trust, transportables, and now I have a brick home. I will only move now if I have to go into some kind of care.

I just paid off my mortgage due to an inheritance from my 94 yo Dad passing. Whilst with the bank manager, she said you realise to sell your own home to downsize will cost you more in todays' current prices, and there's agent fees and stamp duty. which is lost money. That could be equal to a couple of years pension alone. But she said unless you have the money to buy again, just isn't likely. as few will give a loan. Very few lenders will even look at you. And she said dont get rid of any credit cards either as banks won't give you one if you then decide you need it.
I can now have an art studio where I have heating and cooling, and room for my music and my family history, taking over two small 3m square bedrooms that aren't that big. I want to enjoy my retirement doing my hobbies and not be squashed in something smaller and with pets. I've done my time living in housing trust, transportables, and now I have a brick home. I will only move now if I have to go into some kind of care.
👍good on you😁

About 6 years ago I did downsize to a lifestyle village , but it was not the lifestyle I was after . A lot of people are bored and nosy what you are up to , as soon as you get outside . A lot of backstabbing and people dob each other in for the very minor issues .That house was a lot cheaper as our previous house , so you had money in the bank and that is what the government after , so you do not live on a pension . I have looked after myself very well and do not think I will ever be on a pension . Build a new house on 3000m block and very happy , so I upsized again and we have a lovely neighbourhood in a small village. Still finishing off the yard with plants , retaining wall and pool area . Every morning having a good coffe on the deck and looking at the water birds . Never looked back. :) :)(y).