Experts reveal how Centrelink's failures unfairly impact women's lives

In the heart of Australia, the struggles of daily life are compounded for many by the inefficiencies of essential services.

Centrelink, a branch of Services Australia, is a lifeline for countless individuals, providing welfare and health services that are crucial for survival.

Yet, experts claimed that recent reports and testimonies have shed light on a troubling reality: Centrelink's service failures are disproportionately affecting women, particularly those in regional, rural, and remote areas.

The latest figures are cause for concern, with unacceptable levels of unanswered calls, excessive wait times, and a backlog of claims adding to families' daily stressors.

According to several experts, women often bear the brunt of managing household affairs, and this includes navigating the complexities of welfare and health services.

compressed-pexels-karolina-grabowska-4467783.jpeg
Experts suggested that Centrelink’s poor services unfairly impact women. Image source: Pexels

A group of researchers, including Dr Marg Rogers, Dr Cassy Dittman, Dr Vicki Pascoe, and Professor Navjot Bhullar, have written an article pointing out how Centrelink's inefficiencies are having a significant impact, particularly on women living in rural areas.

They said these women face greater health and social challenges, making it even more difficult for them to deal with the problems caused by Centrelink's inefficiencies.

Unemployment, poorer health, disability, and limited access to services are just some of the challenges they contend with.

‘For women in these locations, sometimes the phone is the only way to access these agencies due to the unavailability of stable internet connection and distance to Service Centres,’ they wrote.

They said that indigenous women, in particular, face additional barriers such as systemic paternalism, bias, and racism.

‘Many government services are yet to implement cultural safety measures to improve access,’ they added.

The high cost of living, rising accommodation costs, stagnant wages, and increasing expenses for utilities, food, and childcare are putting Australian families under immense pressure.

In more remote parts of the country, the absence of early learning and care services means parents cannot work the hours they need or are forced out of the workforce entirely. During a period of rising living costs, demand for additional services increases.

However, experts claimed that ‘publicly available data’ shows how the inefficiency of these services only worsens the problem.

In 2023 alone, Services Australia let a staggering seven million calls go unanswered.

Parents share their experiences of being put on hold for hours, only to be disconnected by the automated system. The emotional toll of such experiences cannot be overstated, with some admitting to crying real tears out of sheer frustration.

‘Four hours on hold… then they hung up on me. I couldn’t call back. Cried real tears that day I was so frustrated,’ one of them shared.

shutterstock_468262262.jpg
Over seven million phone calls made to Services Australia were not answered last year. Image source: Shutterstock

Moreover, call wait times have ballooned to over 45 minutes on average. While some say that the best time to call would be 8 a.m., experts said that it’s often a busy period for some women due to caring responsibilities.

One parent reported: ‘Called at 8 a.m., and the [it] was sorted out at 5:45 p.m. The worker eventually gave up and had his supervisor finish it.’

‘Started call at … 9 a.m., … on hold for 5 hours, … someone … said they needed to put me on hold again, … waited another hour, then the call … ended. When I tell you I was irate, [that’s] not even the half of it,’ another shared.

The experts also pointed out: ‘Female frontline workers and those in the feminised care industry are often hardest hit because they are less likely to be able to stay on hold while at work.’

With over 1.1 million claims backlogged, the system is failing those who rely on it the most.

‘This makes it very difficult for women, who are often paid at a lower rate and therefore more likely to rely on assistance,’ the experts stated.

‘Studies show women who cannot access their own funds are less likely to leave unsafe relationships. This increases the risk for women and children by deepening their exposure to trauma which has long-lasting effects,’ they added.

The experts also said that by investing in supporting women and their families, making systems user-friendly, and respecting their time, we empower them to thrive.

‘When women living in regional, rural and remote communities flourish, the inequities experienced in those communities can start to be addressed, breaking cycles of intergenerational disadvantage,’ they said.

The experts highlighted: ‘The report card for Services Australia is unacceptable and we cannot accept such a low threshold of care for an agency that is responsible for atrocities like Robodebt.’
Key Takeaways
  • Experts say Services Australia, which includes Centrelink and Medicare, is experiencing unacceptable levels of unanswered calls, long wait times, and claim backlogs that disproportionately affect women.
  • Women in regional, rural, and remote Australia, as well as Indigenous women, face additional barriers due to health and social adversities, and inefficient services exacerbate these challenges.
  • Experts claimed that female frontline workers and those in the care industry are struggling with Services Australia's inefficiency during a cost-of-living crisis, and some are facing difficulties in maintaining claims for necessary assistance.
  • They believe that Investing in user-friendly systems and timely support for women and their families can help mitigate inequities and break cycles of intergenerational disadvantage in disadvantaged communities.
Have you or someone you know been affected by Centrelink's service issues? How have these challenges impacted your life or the lives of women around you? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
I always call at 8am and get through within 40 minutes. If I call after 8.30 then I never get through.
I think the problem us the ammount of people calling.

If you can go into an office then do that, otherwise call at 8am when they open .

I always call at 8am and get through within 40 minutes. If I call after 8.30 then I never get through.
I think the problem us the ammount of people calling.

If you can go into an office then do that, otherwise call at 8am when they open .
I have tried to ring and make an appointment for the last three months with no luck.
Drove to the nearest office, one and a half hours away but couldn't see anyone because I didn't have an appointment.
Tried to make an appointment for the next week when I had to make a trip to the same town for a medical appointment for my husband, but no, sorry, no appointments that day.
Told to make an appointment for a week after that. Too bad that I have to pay a carer again for my daughter and another lot of petrol money.
When I finally get to see someone I'll probably be told I should have done this within fourteen days, good luck with that.
Tried several times to do it on the internet, but the situation just doesn't fit into their program as quite a complicated story attached to the situation.
With being full time carer for my husband and daughter I hardly have time to scratch myself let alone be bothered with all their BS.
So exasperated.

Last August I applied for renewal of my Health Care Card as instructed, and allowed, by MyGov and it immediately appeared on the system as being in progress. My existing card expired in September and still the system said it was in progress. There were no changes to anything so it would have been very straightforward, I'd have thought. In January it finally arrived. How many people in a similar situation would have been unable to pay higher power bills or afford the full cost of their scripts? I hate to think of how much stress and possibly lives shortened, or even lost, are being caused by this appalling service.

It's a disgrace, pay taxes all our lives for so many of our own people only to be faced with crap like this! Yet those coming in to our country from o/s get these free services (& govt housing) as a priority?

It stinks & is so unfair!

I have tried to ring and make an appointment for the last three months with no luck.
Drove to the nearest office, one and a half hours away but couldn't see anyone because I didn't have an appointment.
Tried to make an appointment for the next week when I had to make a trip to the same town for a medical appointment for my husband, but no, sorry, no appointments that day.
Told to make an appointment for a week after that. Too bad that I have to pay a carer again for my daughter and another lot of petrol money.
When I finally get to see someone I'll probably be told I should have done this within fourteen days, good luck with that.
Tried several times to do it on the internet, but the situation just doesn't fit into their program as quite a complicated story attached to the situation.
With being full time carer for my husband and daughter I hardly have time to scratch myself let alone be bothered with all their BS.
So exasperated.
Its a disgrace! Maybe try ticking Aboruginal or TorresSt Islander or immigration box in future, see how you go

So exasperated.
Have you tried calling as soon as they open. I call at exactly 8am and always get through . It's still a 30 to 40 min wait but I do get through. It's a different story if I call later.

Have you tried calling as soon as they open. I call at exactly 8am and always get through . It's still a 30 to 40 min wait but I do get through. It's a different story if I call later.
Yes, tried that. Even tried ringing at 5am WA time as we usually go through to an eastern states line. Still no luck🤷

• Sad
Reactions: Liz
Centrelink make soooooo many mistakes. can be very frustrating also could cause a person to have a heart attack

Reactions: Scaveola
Can you book a phone appointment through my gov.

They finally approved my DSP after 14 months
I am so happy for you, it's a long time to wait. The system is so broken.
My situation is really complicated really need a face to face appointment.
Also have to provide a lot of paperwork. They've "misplaced"
my paperwork on three occasions before, I don't trust them anymore
They even accused me of attempted fraud once, through their own incompetence.
No apology when they finally discovered their error.

Maybe it is time someone needs to take a look at the CEO of Service Australia (David Hazelhirst) and Services Australia General Manager (Hank Jongen). Does the buck stop with them? I am sure their salaries outweigh their performances.

So exasperated.
This is worse than a third world country - our citizens deserve a whole lot better.

I feel sorry for the elderly, or those who are non comuter savvy and have to try to navigate through this broken system.

Reactions: Liz and Rob44
Can you book a phone appointment through my gov.

They finally approved my DSP after 14 months
Apparantly not. Then if you manage to book an appointment via a phone call then you cannot change it online. You have to ring again them to do that. That just happened to me.

Reactions: Rob44
"Services Australia".
Now there's a contradiction in terms if ever there was one.
The wait is not an accident. It is deliberate policy to make people just go away, which saves the government money.
Heartless.

The persons in charge of this services should have been sacked years ago! There has never been such an inefficient mob. This and the staggering youth crime rate will be the reason that I will vote for neither the labour or liberal party at the next election!!! Because nothing is ever done to fix these problems.

Reactions: Scaveola and Rob44
Yes, tried that. Even tried ringing at 5am WA time as we usually go through to an eastern states line. Still no luck🤷
I understand being in WA that our system with Centrelink does not operate in the time zone off the rest of Australia, We still have to wait until 8 am our time.