Experts’ advice to cure chronic back pain: Exercise!

It is no secret that experiencing back pain is something many of us struggle to deal with on a day to day basis, only getting worse as we get older.

But did you know that back pain is the most common form of chronic pain?

Yes, you read that right, folks. About 4 million Australians suffer from back pain according to a report published by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare in 2020.

Q8_UbvJPJQSCOmbWQe0O2LeIGLV3uUXxg5b1NemsXCdV_J0xBA3GTS5lM-C4fiVN1ucQADbR8mG4Up70Gg8ocUorV8syDCjpYAdqIAECLxL4rNMVpyaOE8fFQyzoqB13-JlqqNQ

About 4 million Aussies suffer from chronic back pain. Credit: Getty Images.

If you are looking to cure this irksome ‘pain in the back’, one expert suggests that you should take a multidisciplinary approach to address the problem.

Associate Prof Michael Bagg, a pain medicine physician and dean of the faculty of pain medicine at the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists, said: "Any single treatment in low back pain is never enough by itself.”

“But exercise is a fundamental part of recovering from low back pain and managing it if it becomes persistent.”

It also can't be denied that people who suffer from back pain might be fearful of exercising as they may assume that the pain is associated with their bodies' robustness.

However, Dr Bagg assured that back pain does not accurately indicate that your body is "broken" when you experience it.

“Regardless of how they feel, they are not broken, damaged or falling apart,” he said.

“If it hurts to do something, people are likely to do less of it.”

Dr Bagg also pointed out that back pain sufferers who chose to become active tend to decrease the level of pain they experience in the long run.

“Even when we experience back pain, it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be moving.”

Dr Rob Laird, a musculoskeletal physiotherapist, backed the claims of Dr Bagg, saying: “Pain itself isn’t an issue.”

While pain is not an issue in exercising, Dr Laird warned that increasing pain during and after physical activity is a red flag.

“Exercise should reduce, not increase, pain.”

Dr Bagg said that there are only a few studies regarding which type of exercise is better than the other when it comes to reducing back pain. So, instead of focusing on finding which exercise is the best, the expert suggested: “The best exercise is one that you will keep doing and enjoy.”

Meanwhile, Dr Laird suggested that exercises for chronic back pain should include three domains: strength, mobility, and cardiovascular fitness.

For those who are looking into getting themselves active to reduce chronic back pain, it is recommended to consult a GP or a physiotherapist first before starting an exercise routine as they can assess your capabilities better.

But for those who are willing to do light workouts to get themselves started, here are some practical tips to help you stay active.

1. Pilates

0iLs5PSBWngFJv1ViNowyGYzRB-G4Lq0kaitnsZDPGqgcjAHb1qb-qRrOZysfAshA1h0lJ7o5t04gOyrXErishlzBTmn6cbv7ussrnjvWq0RvkyEMnrj8NsFOgK3cyTZd8LD5Wo

Pilates exercises can help chronic pain sufferers. Credit: Getty Images.

In a study published by Dr Bagg and his colleagues in the Journal of Physiotherapy, it was claimed that pilates exercises might have the most significant effects on pain intensity as it includes a series of activities that tend to target the stability and mobility of the spine, core, and pelvic area.

Pilates exercises also help strengthen the muscles in our legs, glutes, shoulders, and arms.

2. Single knee squat

It is recommended to strengthen the lower limb and gluteal muscles because these are the muscle groups that we use whenever we need to bend or move from sitting to standing.

Dr Laird said: “If they are underdone, the back muscles have to work harder.”

The expert also revealed that chronic back pain sufferers might feel safer pursuing physical activities which target the legs and glutes as they do not need to use back muscles.

He suggested that one can start with doing the classic pilates roll down first before progressing to the single knee squats.

Below are tutorial videos for the above exercises:

Credit: intosport

Credit: James Dunne

3. Walking, cycling, and swimming

C3OXA9OetXJ_33en_zVPFBgcRFvxvXTSIAFcVRQWYnmhJ8EqACZhjYNdvL4C73GOpH8EZznABd9jWNSgbfeMfHxE4WmF4VV4UIsJ_jOijefxbqNqNJFHRdoE9W_lAw2ZvNzL9Ck

Cardiovascular fitness activities can help lessen the intensity of chronic back pain. Credit: Getty Images.

Doing cardiovascular activities such as walking, cycling, and swimming can help most people with chronic back pain.

Dr Laird said: “Cardiovascular fitness is essential. If you are not fit enough to walk around the block easily, you are going to struggle with life in general, and pain is still going to be a real problem.”

While running is a good exercise for cardiovascular fitness, Dr Laird discourages chronic back pain sufferers from doing this activity.

“Running is not recommended at the start of a recovery plan but can be used in younger patients towards the middle to end of their recovery plan,” he said.

“It’s less useful in older patients – over 60 approximately, although there are always some exceptions – because of the impact loading when there is significant degenerative change already present.”

Are you looking forward to staying more active this 2022? For our readers who do suffer from back pain, we hope that these tips make your day to day just that little bit better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Liag
Sponsored
It is no secret that experiencing back pain is something many of us struggle to deal with on a day to day basis, only getting worse as we get older.

But did you know that back pain is the most common form of chronic pain?

Yes, you read that right, folks. About 4 million Australians suffer from back pain according to a report published by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare in 2020.

Q8_UbvJPJQSCOmbWQe0O2LeIGLV3uUXxg5b1NemsXCdV_J0xBA3GTS5lM-C4fiVN1ucQADbR8mG4Up70Gg8ocUorV8syDCjpYAdqIAECLxL4rNMVpyaOE8fFQyzoqB13-JlqqNQ

About 4 million Aussies suffer from chronic back pain. Credit: Getty Images.

If you are looking to cure this irksome ‘pain in the back’, one expert suggests that you should take a multidisciplinary approach to address the problem.

Associate Prof Michael Bagg, a pain medicine physician and dean of the faculty of pain medicine at the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists, said: "Any single treatment in low back pain is never enough by itself.”

“But exercise is a fundamental part of recovering from low back pain and managing it if it becomes persistent.”

It also can't be denied that people who suffer from back pain might be fearful of exercising as they may assume that the pain is associated with their bodies' robustness.

However, Dr Bagg assured that back pain does not accurately indicate that your body is "broken" when you experience it.

“Regardless of how they feel, they are not broken, damaged or falling apart,” he said.

“If it hurts to do something, people are likely to do less of it.”

Dr Bagg also pointed out that back pain sufferers who chose to become active tend to decrease the level of pain they experience in the long run.

“Even when we experience back pain, it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be moving.”

Dr Rob Laird, a musculoskeletal physiotherapist, backed the claims of Dr Bagg, saying: “Pain itself isn’t an issue.”

While pain is not an issue in exercising, Dr Laird warned that increasing pain during and after physical activity is a red flag.

“Exercise should reduce, not increase, pain.”

Dr Bagg said that there are only a few studies regarding which type of exercise is better than the other when it comes to reducing back pain. So, instead of focusing on finding which exercise is the best, the expert suggested: “The best exercise is one that you will keep doing and enjoy.”

Meanwhile, Dr Laird suggested that exercises for chronic back pain should include three domains: strength, mobility, and cardiovascular fitness.

For those who are looking into getting themselves active to reduce chronic back pain, it is recommended to consult a GP or a physiotherapist first before starting an exercise routine as they can assess your capabilities better.

But for those who are willing to do light workouts to get themselves started, here are some practical tips to help you stay active.

1. Pilates

0iLs5PSBWngFJv1ViNowyGYzRB-G4Lq0kaitnsZDPGqgcjAHb1qb-qRrOZysfAshA1h0lJ7o5t04gOyrXErishlzBTmn6cbv7ussrnjvWq0RvkyEMnrj8NsFOgK3cyTZd8LD5Wo

Pilates exercises can help chronic pain sufferers. Credit: Getty Images.

In a study published by Dr Bagg and his colleagues in the Journal of Physiotherapy, it was claimed that pilates exercises might have the most significant effects on pain intensity as it includes a series of activities that tend to target the stability and mobility of the spine, core, and pelvic area.

Pilates exercises also help strengthen the muscles in our legs, glutes, shoulders, and arms.

2. Single knee squat

It is recommended to strengthen the lower limb and gluteal muscles because these are the muscle groups that we use whenever we need to bend or move from sitting to standing.

Dr Laird said: “If they are underdone, the back muscles have to work harder.”

The expert also revealed that chronic back pain sufferers might feel safer pursuing physical activities which target the legs and glutes as they do not need to use back muscles.

He suggested that one can start with doing the classic pilates roll down first before progressing to the single knee squats.

Below are tutorial videos for the above exercises:

Credit: intosport

Credit: James Dunne

3. Walking, cycling, and swimming

C3OXA9OetXJ_33en_zVPFBgcRFvxvXTSIAFcVRQWYnmhJ8EqACZhjYNdvL4C73GOpH8EZznABd9jWNSgbfeMfHxE4WmF4VV4UIsJ_jOijefxbqNqNJFHRdoE9W_lAw2ZvNzL9Ck

Cardiovascular fitness activities can help lessen the intensity of chronic back pain. Credit: Getty Images.

Doing cardiovascular activities such as walking, cycling, and swimming can help most people with chronic back pain.

Dr Laird said: “Cardiovascular fitness is essential. If you are not fit enough to walk around the block easily, you are going to struggle with life in general, and pain is still going to be a real problem.”

While running is a good exercise for cardiovascular fitness, Dr Laird discourages chronic back pain sufferers from doing this activity.

“Running is not recommended at the start of a recovery plan but can be used in younger patients towards the middle to end of their recovery plan,” he said.

“It’s less useful in older patients – over 60 approximately, although there are always some exceptions – because of the impact loading when there is significant degenerative change already present.”

Are you looking forward to staying more active this 2022? For our readers who do suffer from back pain, we hope that these tips make your day to day just that little bit better.

Ha ha bleedin' ha. Aged nearly 80 and five damaged discs with a pinched nerve to boot. Do what I can with what I've got and they can go to ......

• Sad
Reactions: Chris and Ricci
I suppose I am lucky to have been assessed by an exercise physiologist and can now do cardio workouts and exercises for the pain in my hip, and it helps tremendously. But you have to do it regularly to be of any benefit.

Reactions: Ricci and Gaggle
All the experts know what’s best to alleviate back pain…what a joke!!
I have ( lumbar stenosis) nerve damage with also disc and vertebrae degeneration. I’ve been in severe pain for 15 years and exercise does not make any difference, even prescription drugs can not relieve all pain.

I suppose I am lucky to have been assessed by an exercise physiologist and can now do cardio workouts and exercises for the pain in my hip, and it helps tremendously. But you have to do it regularly to be of any benefit.
Same. I find the gym program “ strength for life” in SA most beneficial. I have numerous problems with my back and find walking painful. Weights and stretching have definitely helped.

Reactions: Liz
All the experts know what’s best to alleviate back pain…what a joke!!
I have ( lumbar stenosis) nerve damage with also disc and vertebrae degeneration. I’ve been in severe pain for 15 years and exercise does not make any difference, even prescription drugs can not relieve all pain.
I also have acute lumbar stenosis. I am on CBD oil, not that it does much. I have found that I can walk in water about chest deep, I've been managing about 1.5km, 3-4 times a week whereas I can't even manage 25m on dry land.:(

Reactions: Chris and Liz
exercise at a Gym is what injured my back and i am now on pain killers to decrease the pain daily. Spine surgeon does not want to operate as I might end up in a wheelchair. I try to exercise when I can by walking around our village. I have significient spondylosis, severe stenosis and disc bulging

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I also have acute lumbar stenosis. I am on CBD oil, not that it does much. I have found that I can walk in water about chest deep, I've been managing about 1.5km, 3-4 times a week whereas I can't even manage 25m on dry land.:(
Good on you, keep going.

Ha ha bleedin' ha. Aged nearly 80 and five damaged discs with a pinched nerve to boot. Do what I can with what I've got and they can go to ......
Don't feel sorry for myself...have a husband with early Alzheimers so that is where the concern lies.

• Sad
Totally agree, after 4 back surgeries over 25 years for disc degeneration, spurs, scoliosis & chronic arthritis No exercise is going to fix my issues, I know because I've tried them all

• Sad
@Scooterjnr @Dot @Dinky Diz @BecciRD Hey everyone, sorry if we missed the mark for you on this one. What do you guys do that works for you in relieving back pain? Would be great to hear and share your suggestions.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
When the pain is chronic or acute there is very little you can do in the way of relieving it. I find exercising in water is the only thing I can attempt as the water takes my weight.

Ok if your younger, my husband is nearly 88 year s old has chronic back pain and although he walks a little finds it harder to exercise….
Have him get into a warm water hydro pool. Once the gravity is removed from the equation, exercising is so much easier. Start off slowly. Walk forwards and backwards across the pool, building the number of laps each week or each day as walking becomes easier. When he can do this easily, grab a pool noodle or two for bouyancy and 'pedal' as if riding a bike. These are just two easy ones to start him off. When he masters these check out other exercises that can reduce backpain; they can often be adapted to be done in water. He will be amazed how much easier it is to move around in the water; but remember not to overdo it. As I said, start slowly and work up bit by bit. This has helped me cope with my back pain. Give it a try and remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I also found walking IN (no not on ;)) water chest deep is the best exercise I can manage to do.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I take pain meds Targin and Endone - doesn't get rid of the pain, but reduced it to a level I can bare.
Been there, done that, eventually they stopped working, or my body got too used to them. Cannabis oil hasn't really worked either although it's great for some. Unfortunately I have a high pain threshold, the result of which is that I need elephant size doses for them to work:(

Reactions: Jennie
I’ve heard about water walking, but I’ve never tried that myself. My knees are killing me sometimes, and even the most potent painkillers don’t help.
The only thing that helps me relax in a way is strong CBD products, such as concentrated oil. I get it from online dispensaries, which helps me numb the pain so I can at least sleep well. You can check out their site if you also want to try CBD. I’m not saying it can help anyone, but it does help me, and it’s more natural than all the other painkillers I used to take. Those pills killed my stomach and my liver.

Last edited:
I’ve heard about water walking, but I’ve never tried that myself. My knees are killing me sometimes, and even the most potent painkillers don’t help.
I have chronic spinal stenosis and am on morphine now to try to relieve the pain ( only partially successful so far but am still trying to get the strength right). I find that if I walk in the pool I can do 1km to 1.5km at a time and on a good day 2km,whereas on dry land I can only manage about 30 -50m. The water takes your weight and helps to relieve the pressure on your joints while at the same time giving some resistance for you to push against. :)

Reactions: Liz