Expat shows the ‘Aussie’ way of cracking a boiled egg – do you do this too?

An American expat shared a video on his TikTok account showing how his Australian friend cracks open a boiled egg.

“Is this how you all do it?” he asked, and many fellow Aussies agreed!

wTED4MxMEFIVXzG9EtToSVzk9suJ4mmGVGocL3WxQVQFulgH-n35Pxybejii36JtK-h7XwVJ8Bvaw0Q8-ok4WykkqIeIdf543uegk55EGDhUePQr3U3Wdwv6crS45jVRm1HeFIrY

Adam’s Aussie friend used a butter knife and teaspoon to scoop the boiled egg. Credit: TikTok/@amfoskey.

Adam Foskey, who moved to Melbourne from the US, said his mind was ‘blown’ when he saw his Australian friend crack open a boiled egg.

“So this is how one of my Australian friends cracks open his boiled egg,” said Adam in his TikTok video.

Instead of peeling the eggshell off using his fingers, some quick work with the butterknife and the delicious egg inside could be easily scooped out with a spoon!

“Like, whaaat?” said Adam as his friend perfectly spoons out the egg.

“Is this how you all do it? I’m baffled,” he added. “Is this an Australian thing?”

Clearly, many agree with Adam’s friend. Several people have commented on the clip and said that this has always been how they open their eggs.

One person wrote, “I thought that’s how everyone opened boiled eggs.”

“I do it like that; I thought this was normal,” said another, while a third person followed, “How else would you do it with a hot boiled egg?”

Some suggested that for hard-boiled eggs, peeling them would be a lot easier. This method would work for soft-boiled eggs used as ‘dippy eggs’ for toast soldiers’.

“I do this with a soft boiled egg but leave the egg in the big part of the shell so I can dip my toast soldiers,” said one person.

If you’re unfamiliar with the breakfast dish, ‘toast soldiers’ are strips of toasted bread that are usually dunked into the yolk of ‘dippy eggs’ – soft-boiled eggs that have had their top removed – for a tasty treat.

Some users also pointed out how the Aussie friend did the ‘teaspoon knocking ceremony’ when he hit the knife and spoon together before opening the egg.

Whether you prefer your eggs soft-boiled, hard-boiled, scrambled, fried, or poached, the bottom line is: it seems we all love eggs! Truly, they are one of the most versatile ingredients in the kitchen.

If you’re looking for more recipes that use eggs, check out this video below!

Credit: Tasty.

Reactions: Maiyon and Ricci
Sponsored
Love a soft boiled (dipping) egg with strips of toast (soldiers).
Used to use the knife to crack the top.
45 years ago, I bought an egg topper. It had a handle like on a pair of scissors, which operated the round hole with zig zag teeth to cut the egg top. There weren't as many fragments of egg shell as created with the knife....the top came off clean. This device came apart about 5 years ago.
I could only replace it with the one in the photo.
Not as good as my original, but still effective.

Attachments

• IMG_20220118_081739_3.jpg
    IMG_20220118_081739_3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Ricci
No we do all do it like that, but I must say it’s pretty amazing. I unfortunately no long eat eggs, for some odd reason in the past few years every time I eat an egg I bring it right up, it’s ok in cooking I just can’t eat them fried or boiled.
I loved soft boiled eggs, I’d butter some toast, cut in strips and dunk yum. Makes my mouth water, alas I can’t eat boiled eggs again.😫😢😭

I've been cracking my breakfast boiled egg like this since I was old enough to do it for myself. Before that my Mum did it for me. Of course you need to leave it in the shell to dip your soldiers.