Expat reveals the terrifying reason behind the eerie silence on an Aussie running track!

Australia is a land of contrasts, where the beauty of its landscapes is matched only by the potential dangers lurking within. It's a place where one can enjoy the serenity of a morning jog, only to discover that the path less trodden may be so for a very good reason. This was the startling revelation for Tanya, an Irish expat, who found out why her usual running track in Mackay, Queensland, was unusually quiet one morning.

As she set out for her routine exercise, Tanya was met with a government-issued warning sign that would send shivers down the spine of any outdoor enthusiast. The sign, stark against the natural backdrop, cautioned visitors to stay clear of the nearby water due to recent crocodile sightings. The realisation that she was potentially sharing her running route with one of Australia's apex predators left Tanya understandably shocked.

compressed-photo (8).jpeg
Tanya stopped at her tracks as she saw a warning sign about crocodiles in a jogging path. Image Credits: TikTok/@tanyastravelss

'Oh my god. I'm just out for a run, I'm on this lovely track, perfect for running in the morning. I was wondering why there was nobody around,' Tanya recounted in a video she posted online, capturing the moment of her discovery. 'Warning, crocodile reported in this area in the last seven days,' she read aloud, her voice tinged with disbelief. The camera panned to show the marshland adjacent to the track, a likely hideout for the crocodile in question.

The Department of Environment, Science and Innovation (DESI) in Queensland, while not confirming the specifics of this sighting, has a standing warning for locals and visitors alike: 'Expect crocodiles in all northern and far northern Queensland waterways even if there is no warning sign.' This advice is particularly pertinent in areas like Mackay, where crocodile encounters are not unheard of. In fact, earlier in the year, a crocodile reportedly leapt from the water and into a small boat at Jane Creek near St Helen’s Beach, just north of Mackay.

The Mackay region is known as 'Croc Country', and DESI urges people to exercise extreme caution around waterways. 'Crocodiles are highly mobile and can be found in any river, creek or ocean beach in Croc Country,' Senior wildlife officer Jane Burn has warned. The crocodile habitat in Queensland stretches from the Boyne River south of Gladstone, extending northward up the east coast and across far north and northwest Queensland to the Northern Territory border. Popular spots like Cairns, Mackay, and Townsville are known to host significant crocodile populations.

Tanya's video, which she shared with the online community, elicited a range of reactions. Australians, known for their laid-back attitude and humour, responded with typical wit. 'Just run faster,' one quipped. 'You'll be right, just keep moving,' another advised. 'Just run in zig zag,' a third suggested, teasingly. Meanwhile, some viewers from overseas shared that they would find such a sign equally terrifying. 'I'd actually need to s*** myself in fear,' one candidly admitted.

It's a reminder that Australia's environment is as weird and wonderful as it is wild and unpredictable. For those of us who love the great outdoors, stories like Tanya's serve as a cautionary tale to always be aware of our surroundings and respect the local wildlife, no matter how confident we feel on our home turf.

Key Takeaways

• An Irish expat in Australia was shocked to discover a warning sign about a recent crocodile sighting on her usual running track in Mackay, Queensland.
  • The Department of Environment, Science and Innovation (DESI) reminds people to expect crocodiles in all northern Queensland waterways, even without warning signs.
  • Locals and visitors are urged to remain vigilant around waterways in 'Croc Country,' which includes popular areas like Cairns, Mackay, and Townsville.
  • Australians responded to the expat's video with typical humour, advising her to 'just run faster,' while some foreign viewers expressed their own fears.

So, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, let's continue to enjoy the beauty of Australia's natural wonders, but let's also stay safe out there. Have you ever had a close encounter with Australia's wildlife on your adventures? Share your experiences in the comments below, and remember, when in doubt, it's always better to err on the side of caution. And don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter for more tales of the unexpected from the land Down Under.

Sponsored
I've never encountered a croc.

But I did find myself driving beside an Emu on the Sturt Highway, during a storm.

He kept pace with me for a short while, as if he was looking for a lift.

I was walking with my sister though the bush to a lagoon at a well known holiday area in the NT some years ago and on reaching the lagoon, we were confronted with a big crocodile warning sign posted right at the edge of the water! We hotfooted back the way we had come and wondered why on earth there had been no warning signs on the well trodden pathway to the lagoon. Is this seeming indifference to danger just a part of our laid back lifestyle? I still shudder each time I remember it.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and Ezzy