Expat in turmoil: How myGov mix-up turned her life upside down

Navigating the complexities of government services can be daunting for anyone, but the challenges can be even more formidable for expatriates.

This was the harsh reality faced by British expat Jordana Grace, whose encounter with Australia's myGov and Centrelink services turned into a distressing ordeal that highlighted potential pitfalls for all seniors managing their affairs online.

Jordana Grace, a UK expat who made Australia her home, found herself in a bureaucratic nightmare when Centrelink, the government service responsible for welfare payments, informed her that she was accruing interest on a debt she was adamant she did not owe.

‘They took money out of my account without asking me because they can do that, but apparently, they can refund it,’ she said.

1725844840001.png
British expats in Australia battled Centrelink over disputed debt piling up with interest. Credit: Shutterstock

The situation was made worse by what she described as 'inappropriate' questioning by a customer service agent, leaving her in tears and fighting a battle she had been dealing with for four years.

The ordeal began innocently enough when Ms Grace received welfare payments due to being out of work.

Diligently, she informed Centrelink when she found employment, providing all necessary details to ensure her records were up to date.

Despite her efforts, she was later told she owed money, a claim she disputed with evidence to the contrary.

The situation escalated when Ms Grace spent over six hours on the phone with Services Australia, only to be met with unhelpful responses and, eventually, a distressing interaction with a customer service representative.

This representative not only ignored her requests to speak with a manager, which Ms Grace rightly deemed inappropriate.

‘He kept ignoring me, and by this time, I started to get teary because it's been over five-and-a-half hours,’ she complained.

‘I said, “Can I please speak to an ops manager?” That's what I was advised to do for this list of reasons.

‘And he was just like, “Give me your questions one by one”...he wasn't that snippy at the start.’

Ms Grace requested to speak with an operations manager once more, but the man she spoke to asked what she needed and suggested she ‘work with him’ to resolve the issue.

‘If you do not work with me, I will not help you,' she said, recalling what he was saying.

She reported that he began asking questions she found intrusive, like, ‘Don’t you have enough money? Don’t you have sufficient savings?’

After inquiring about her earnings and job, he also asked about her medical expenses and health conditions.

‘I was like, that's highly inappropriate. You don't get to ask about what women's issues I have. I asked again to speak to an ops manager, yes or no,’ Grace continued.

‘He said he'd give me the refund and call me back in two days. I said I needed to speak to an ops manager because I needed to ask about this interest.’

Ms Grace reported that while the representative initially agreed to help, he informed her that she would not receive the refund.

She later discovered that the manager was unavailable to speak with her, requiring her to call back the next day.

Compounding her frustration, the radio host mentioned it was ‘that time of the month’ and some loved ones were also unwell.

‘But, five-and-a-half hours? You're the government! I asked nicely to speak to an ops manager because that is what your other departments advised me to do, and this guy would not even acknowledge my questions,’ Grace said.

‘And when I finally asked if I could speak to an ops manager, yes or no, he was like, "Fine, but now you're not getting the refund".'

Ms Grace felt she was being penalised for requesting to speak with a manager, leading her to file an official complaint.

The Sunshine Coast-based radio presenter's case was supposed to go to appeal, but the appeal has yet to be concluded for four years.

In the meantime, Centrelink had taken money directly from her account, a move that is legal but requires a refund process if contested.

Services Australia's general manager, Hank Jongen, apologised to Ms Grace, acknowledging the poor service experience and promising to work with her to resolve the issues.

This response is a reminder that persistence can lead to acknowledgment and action from even the highest levels of government services.
Key Takeaways
  • A British expatriate living in Australia experienced a distressing ordeal with Centrelink over a debt she claims she doesn't owe, which is also accruing interest.
  • Jordana Grace spent over six hours on the phone with Services Australia, but her appeal remained unresolved for four years.
  • While attempting to resolve the issue, she faced inappropriate questioning from a Centrelink customer service agent who asked about her finances and medical conditions.
  • Services Australia's general manager apologised for the service Jordana received, and they are reaching out to resolve the matter, acknowledging the service did not meet their standards.
Have you faced similar challenges? How did you navigate the system, and what advice would you give fellow seniors dealing with these services? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
That is unacceptable! Some of these people that work in government positions think they are god. I know a person that quit working for Services Australia as she was told not to give people pensions and the dole because they needed to keep under the budget. She said she couldn't work for a company that didn't care about the people

centrelink are hopeless i have been waiting since Feb 23 for my pension. they stuffed up by counting money twice and said i was over the limit.it was pointed out and a reassment was done and they did the same thing again, an appeal was lodged after it was pointed out again and the same thing happened, after about the 200th phone call a worker finally said yes i can see the mistake but now its been through appeal there is nothing they can do i now have to go to the AAT just all you folk make sure you got everthing in order and keep onto them.i could reapply but would loose out on back pay and as its their mistake why should i

I know some of the people who work for Centrelink are really horrible but I have to say there are also alot of amazing people who work at Centrelink.

The rudeness of this person was unbelievable. But I'm sure calling again she wouldn't have gotten him.

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye !

When she went back to work was she over paid ? She didn't say how much the ammount was ?
If she went back to work how was she still receiving a Centrelink payment ?

I have had nothing but good experiences with Centrelink so far but I found one question during my interview for my pension a bit strange. She asked “how much money do you have in your purse right now?” I said a little bit of change, maybe a dollar. “And what about your husband, how much has he got?” I said he’d be lucky to have $5, we don’t use cash so much. I guess it’s to make sure we haven’t drawn a heap out of the bank and are trying to hide it, but no one else I’ve spoken to has been asked that question

I have had nothing but good experiences with Centrelink so far but I found one question during my interview for my pension a bit strange. She asked “how much money do you have in your purse right now?” I said a little bit of change, maybe a dollar. “And what about your husband, how much has he got?” I said he’d be lucky to have $5, we don’t use cash so much. I guess it’s to make sure we haven’t drawn a heap out of the bank and are trying to hide it, but no one else I’ve spoken to has been asked that question
That is a normal question when applying for a payment
They ask not only how much you have in the bank but also how much you have on hand

That is unacceptable! Some of these people that work in government positions think they are god. I know a person that quit working for Services Australia as she was told not to give people pensions and the dole because they needed to keep under the budget. She said she couldn't work for a company that didn't care about the people
VERY TRUE!!!!

Centrelink once filed all the paperwork I had provided with regards to the purchase and subsequent sale of same property in the wrong file and then put me through four hours of grilling accusing me of fraud.
The purchase papers were OK,but the sale papers had been put on my daughter's file even though they were all submitted under my file number.
They accused me of trying to hide a financial gain, there wasn't a financial gain to hide we had only broke even on the property.
This was the fourth incident I had with them, every one always their incompetence.
They must waste an incredible amount of money investigating their own stuff ups

No apology either!!

Removing money from someones bank account is straight up theft as far as I'm concerned. The person who did this shoud be charged with theft, no exceptions. Nobody has that right except the holder of the account.
Sorry, but this is the Banking Industry, they are a law unto themselves imo.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
When we first applied some years ago for the age pension we were asked that question. How much money do you have in your purse and I said a hundred dollars as that was for housekeeping.

I really hate the punitive manner in which we the public are dealt with - in person or by letter where the tone is you must be a crook trying to defraud the Commonwealth. Sure there would be a few but the majority of people are just trying to deal honestly to receive financial help that they are actually entitled to. A few years ago my elderly mum in law was having problems because as my father in law had served in the army she was eligible to receive a Veteran's Affairs pension and transferring from Centrelink. Dad had passed away years before so my husband the eldest child went to help her. They informed Centrelink when the Veterans Affairs Pension would start so they could cease the Centrelink one. Did they? No it went on for several months - we kept informing Centrelink they were still paying it and they kept doing it. Then one day a very vicious letter came telling Mum that she was basically receiving money she wasn't entitled to and she must repay it immediately. She had the overpayment money ready to return it but I thought Centrelink were very heavy handed in how they were treating an elderly person when it was Centrelink's mistake anyway - the language of the letter was very aggressive and uncalled for.

With Centrelink it is a minefield to get answers. When you do get onto someone 1. Get their name. 2. Get a reference number. 3. Make notes about what you are talking to them about. 4. Time and date you rang them also. When you get the Reference Number, you have a record they can't deny.

With Centrelink it is a minefield to get answers. When you do get onto someone 1. Get their name. 2. Get a reference number. 3. Make notes about what you are talking to them about. 4. Time and date you rang them also. When you get the Reference Number, you have a record they can't deny.
Bang on,Janice! Don’t say a word,don’t progress with your call until you have their name or their I.D. number. You are entitled to one or the other. Note the time and date of the call or visit. Once you have these details they know and YOU know that you have proof of whom you were speaking with and when. I do it on all calls. Telstra,gas,electricity…anyone who provides a service to me and may later need to be accountable.

Centerlink, where do I start ?
When I retired I was told to fill out numerous forms, of which I complied.
These forms were completed on my computer then printed off and physically signed {in blue pen},
then the papers were scanned and sent electronically to Centerlink, that's when the trouble started.
Phone call from centerlink, "You are missing several papers, we have not recieved them"
My reply, "yes you have I scanned and sent the req'd papers off, numbered 1-9".
CTR Link reply "No you have not".
So I proceed to CTR Link with a copy of all the papers, and I am called after waiting a long time to see a CTR person.
She is of Asian descent and I have trouble understanding her.
After about 10 minutes of, I'm sorry I don't understand what you are saying, I asked her to turn her monitor around so I could see it,
then told her to scroll up /down turn page etc etc and there behold were the papers that they so vehemently insisted I had not sent.
Requesting to see the manager a bit loudly He came, I showed him the pages that SHE said they had NOT RECIEVED on her monitor.
I then demanded that she be removed from office, as she was computer illiterate and spoke terrible English.
Security was then called and I was removed from CTR Link.
That was 1 of many experiences with CTR LINK.
My wife also has had many bad times with CTR Link.
I shudder if I have to go there.😾

Centerlink, where do I start ?
When I retired I was told to fill out numerous forms, of which I complied.
These forms were completed on my computer then printed off and physically signed {in blue pen},
then the papers were scanned and sent electronically to Centerlink, that's when the trouble started.
Phone call from centerlink, "You are missing several papers, we have not recieved them"
My reply, "yes you have I scanned and sent the req'd papers off, numbered 1-9".
CTR Link reply "No you have not".
So I proceed to CTR Link with a copy of all the papers, and I am called after waiting a long time to see a CTR person.
She is of Asian descent and I have trouble understanding her.
After about 10 minutes of, I'm sorry I don't understand what you are saying, I asked her to turn her monitor around so I could see it,
then told her to scroll up /down turn page etc etc and there behold were the papers that they so vehemently insisted I had not sent.
Requesting to see the manager a bit loudly He came, I showed him the pages that SHE said they had NOT RECIEVED on her monitor.
I then demanded that she be removed from office, as she was computer illiterate and spoke terrible English.
Security was then called and I was removed from CTR Link.
That was 1 of many experiences with CTR LINK.
My wife also has had many bad times with CTR Link.
I shudder if I have to go there.😾
Typical

Reactions: tdrin and PattiB