Ex-paramedic reveals lifesaving tips you must know before dialling emergency services

In moments of crisis, when every second counts, knowing what to do before dialling emergency services can make all the difference.

A former Australian paramedic has taken to social media to share crucial insights that could save lives.

Nikki Jurcutz, a mum and the CEO of Tiny Hearts Education, which focuses on parenting and health education, has compiled a list of things she wishes everyone knew when faced with the need to call triple-0.

In a video that has since gone viral, Jurcutz outlines six key points that could streamline getting help and ensure paramedics can do their job as efficiently as possible.

1724125701603.png
Former paramedic Nikki Jurcutz shared six key tips for calling triple-0 in Australia. Credit: @tinyheartseducation / Instagram

The video on the Tiny Hearts Education social media page has garnered over 180,000 views and sparked a conversation about the appreciation for paramedics and their vital work.

Here's what Jurcutz, drawing from her experience as a paramedic, wants you to know:

Don't hesitate to call: Paramedics would much rather arrive and not be needed than be called too late. If you're in doubt, it's better to be on the better side of caution and dial triple-0.

Next on the list was to ‘please unlock the door, turn the outside light on and have someone to wave us down if possible’.

‘We often leave the door open for our safety; please just help us with this and keep it open,’

She advised parents to trust their instincts regarding their child's health, emphasising that paramedics are focused on urgent care, not the condition of a home.

‘You know your child best; if you are worried, we are worried,’ she said.

The former paramedic also stated that paramedics are not concerned with the condition of your home.

‘We don’t care what your house looks like, please stop apologising,’ she emphasised.

She also reminded viewers that ambulances are meant for life-threatening emergencies.

Commenters expressed their gratitude and admiration for paramedics, calling them ‘angels’ and thanking them for their exceptional work.

‘Is there a way to pass on the paramedics how much we love them and how they’re amazing and we can never thank them enough?’ one social media user asked.

‘Thank you to all the paramedics for doing such an incredible job,’ another said.

‘You guys are the best, always posting really informative and quality content,’ someone added.

‘This is amazing,’ a third echoed.

In a related update, Nikki Jurcutz, a former paramedic with Ausambulance Victoria, previously shared a crucial tip for silent emergency calls.

If you can't speak during a triple-0 call, press 55 to signal that you need assistance. For more details, click here.

Credit: @tinyheartseducation / Instagram

Key Takeaways
  • A former Australian paramedic named Nikki Jurcutz shared six important tips for when calling triple-0, the emergency number in Australia.
  • She emphasised that paramedics prefer to arrive and not be needed rather than to arrive too late and advised people to call them if in doubt.
  • Tips for aiding paramedics' access include unlocking the door, turning on the outside light, and having someone wave them down.
  • Nikki stressed that the state of one's house is not a concern for paramedics and urged people not to apologise for any mess.
  • The video posted by Nikki on the Tiny Hearts Education social media page became popular, with viewers praising the advice and expressing gratitude towards paramedics.
Have you had an experience with emergency services that you'd like to share? Or perhaps you have additional tips for what to do in an emergency? Let's continue the conversation and spread awareness in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have only positive things to say about the paramedics, they have come as quickly as possible and I have always locked my cat in the bedroom. They don't care about the state of my home, as long as there is enough room for their equipment they are here to help. All paramedics are angels in my books.

Also try to ensure that you have clear access from the front door to where the patient is located in the house at the time of the emergency...the paramedics may need to bring in a stretcher to your home.

I have had to call triple 0 3 times this year for my mum. the operator in each case where exceptional and stayed on the line till the paras arrived. They could even tell me how far away they were. The paras were amazing. We even had the same para twice. They are caring and looked after mum with care. They should be paid a lot more than they are.

One extra thing to help the Paramedics.
Have a written list of necessary personal details.
E.G. Medicare Card Number. Pension Number. Private Health Details.
List of past / or current illnesses and most importantly a list of current medications.
I always update this list and the Paramedics are always grateful to have this list.
My Husband's information is 10 A4 pages, and growing.

List of past / or current illnesses and most importantly a list of current medications.
I always update this list and the Paramedics are always grateful to have this list.
We also had a list of Mum's medications, illnesses, etc for the paramedics. It was easier than trying to remember what medications Mum was taking.

a

Reactions: magpie1 and Ezzy
As well as leaving your door unlocked, remember to lock up any inside pets so they can't escape through the door and to lock up your dogs to give clear access to your door.
A cat bite can be as dangerous as a dog. Their teeth are a lot longer and sharper than a dog's. Cats also carry dangerous bacteria in their mouths far worse than a dog's is. Cats can rip you with their claws too and they are also sharper than a dog's - they will use front or back paws. I have heard a cat '"growl" like a dog does and bare its teeth too. Needless to say I never trusted that cat. I was going to gently stroke it while I was standing next to it. I had visited there several times but never attempted to stroke previously.

Reactions: Babybird and Ezzy
We also had a list of Mum's medications, illnesses, etc for the paramedics. It was easier than trying to remember what medications Mum was taking.
We have a printout from the doctor, also the last discharge received from the hospital. Her purse with all cards go with her. Also medications she is taking.

Thank you for this advice Baby bird.
My pleasure it did really save mine.
Was talking to a friend on phone my speech slowed down my left face and arm too, my friend said did drink you sound drunk and I don't drink. So I remembered reading how it saved someone else who recommended keep pack within reach. I reached for it did chew on 1 and put other under tongue, my dr said it could have been worse if you didn't do this, I didn't suffer any after effects but it was quick thinking that saved me