Ex-hotel employee exposes hidden 'complaints system'

Have you ever wondered how hotels handle guests who complain too much or try to game the system for freebies?

A former hotel worker has recently shed light on a secret system that helps hotels manage such guests, and it's causing quite a stir.

The ex-employee, known as 'Melvcookie' on social media, claims she used to work at the Hyatt Hotel.

In a viral video, she revealed that hotels have a database where they record the complaint history of their rewards members, including the nature of their complaints and the compensation they received.

SDC 6.png
Hotels reportedly record the complaint history of its rewards members. Image source: dit26978 on Freepik.

This system, known as the 'service recovery tab', allows people at the front desk to read comments about the person posting the complaint.

'Sometimes, some of these people who travel do it at every hotel they stay at,' Melvcookie shared.

She shared an example of a man who would always claim it was his anniversary and complain to staff that he wasn't given a free bottle of wine, even though he would do it on different dates.

The staff could see he had done this at different hotels by accessing the database.

'People like that should be banned from using the rewards program,' she said.

'And I really wish every hotel chain did that. Just to protect themselves from losing money [and] to also know what they're expecting from people.'

The video has been viewed more than 309,000 times, with many viewers sharing their own experiences of complainers trying to score freebies.

You can watch the full video below:

Video source: TikTok/@melvcookie.

'Hilton tracks that, and when it gets too far, they claw back the points and send them a letter asking them to stay at another hotel chain,' one commented.

'These people also make the experience worse for other guests,' another added.

Some viewers, however, argued that the hotels were being greedy.

'Get real! Hotels, especially the Hyatt brand, rip off more reward members than they ever help,' one said.

While another user quipped: 'Won’t somebody please think of the poor billion-dollar hotel chains?'
Key Takeaways
  • A former hotel worker has shared details about a 'secret complaints system' used by hotels through a video posted on social media.
  • The system reportedly allows hotel staff to review the complaints history and compensation given to rewards members.
  • The alleged ex-Hyatt Hotel staffer highlighted abuses of the complaints system by certain guests who regularly use complaints to gain freebies.
  • There is a mixed reaction from viewers, with some supporting the hotels' right to protect themselves, while others accuse the hotels of being greedy.
What are your thoughts on this, dear members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
Unfortunately, there are full time whingers out there.
This makes it difficult for people who have a fair complaint. So, a data base is not so bad an idea.
We can only hope there are no nasty team members out there that like to make customers out to be worse than they really are. Fine line I guess.

Disgraceful. Maybe people who complain, complain foe genuine reasons. Sometimes hotels rip off customers and they do not like to be questioned. Its about time big business start to do the right thing for all their customers.

Reactions: Gsr
Are these ex employees who bad mouth and share secrets from their ex employer doing so for their 10 minutes of fame, or are they just disgruntled ex employees with a grudge?

years ago my husband and I stayed in a hotel in the North of where we live,,,,well big mistake,,,it seriously was a nasty room,,the light was so weak we could barely see to move about,,cracks right around the room in the plaster,,a broken window above the bed but the piece de la resistance was the small wardrobe,,it held extra soft pillows,,tea making stuff and unbeknown to me big splinters which I got under my nail when I tried to pull a pillow out,,,,we went downstairs for a band-aid telling the guy why but he just looked at me with a no care attitude and to top it off they had a band playing until around 4 am,,,,worst experience ever but we didn't go and complain expecting a refund or anything else,,,,we had breakfast and got out of there real quick hoping the car was safe a couple of streets away because there was no parking on site for paying guests...,night of horrors

We've stayed in many of the dumpster, dives and supposedly more auspicious accommodation. There have been places like the Blue Heeler pub, the door had a 4 inch gap at the bottom to the outside, the aircon shook so violently I thought it was going to rip itself off the wall and the mozzies were big enough to carry off a blue heeler the size of the one on the roof of the pub. And then you can get some little gems tucked away in the middle of nowhere like a family run motel just off the New England highway at Armadale.
When you go to the "luxury" brand hotels, who scoff and put their nose in the air because you didn't arrive in a BMW or Audi. Normally the bed will be okay, but I can tell you the food at some of these places leave a lot to be desired for. But do remember you are paying out big money on these hotels, so :) smile pay the bill and go on your way with your wallet a lot lighter :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: anouch