SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Enid Blyton’s The Famous Five Series

Who remembers Enid Blyton’s books? Back then, there was no Harry Potter phenomenon! You lot had Enid Blyton’s timeless classics like The Famous Five Series. These books were like portals to another world, where a gang of young adventurers embarked on thrilling quests, unravelled mysteries, and outsmarted cruel villains. The Famous Five series have been worldwide bestsellers since the 1930s. Though the books underwent some changes to cater to modern readers, they still retained their timeless magic. So, what was your all-time favourite book growing up? And who was your favourite author?

compressed-nostalgia.jpeg

Even as a kid I was never into fiction novels I would sit at night reading dictionaries or encyclopedia when I was about 10 I did read the sword in the stone only because my mother gave it to me for my birthday she was an avid reader

Enid Blyton books were probably the first books I read by myself. I read most of them and particularly loved The Adventurous Four and The …. of Adventure series. (The Sea of Adventure, Mountain of Adventure, etc.) I was a bookworm then and still am.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Enid Blyton's , "Five Find Outers & Dog (Buster), With Frederick Algernon Trottville (Fatty), being the main character. Superior to The Secret Seven & Famous Five.

Last edited:
When I was a child my favourite book was Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. It had some surprises and fantasy and I just loved it. Mum was a great reader and she passed that down to me. Reading is still my favourite pastime.

The Loaded Dog by Henry Lawson. Only approx 20 pages long. Loved it then and love it now. Bought a few copies off eBay over the years, give them away and have to buy it again.
Loaded Dog.jpg

Up to 5 or 6 years of age, parents read me from the Little Golden Books series.
About 60 or 70 books.
Then I started to read them myself.

Then graduated to Enid Blyton and the Famous Five and Secret Seven
Birthdays and Christmas were eagerly awaited 'cos they generally provided another book in the series as a present.

Until Charles Hamilton writing as Frank Richards and the Billy Bunter series about the Greyfriars school.
Lead to my interest in Rugby Union, a sport I took up when I moved to the city and University.

Billy Bunter was followed by Captain W E Johns and the Biggles(worth) stories.
My eyesight put a stop to any desire/s for a flying career :-(

I had copies of virtually all these nooks, but they were in a backroom of my parent's country home;
and proved to be ideal fodder for whiteants (aka termites).
I still have a few half chewed books but that's all. :>((

From Biggles on, my eclectic habits lead to reading any book I could get my hands on.
I guess I enjoyed those by Dick Francis (especially), then Le Carre, Fleming, Brown, Clancy and others of this ilk.

So for my favourite book, I am hard pressed to name "one", but as a set which I still have in my bookcase at the moment, it would be those by the champion jockey Dick Francis. Guess I can most identify with these due to having handled and trained racing animals.

Apologies for waffling on, but (selfishly) in so doing a lot of enjoyable memories were opened (for me)

Up to 5 or 6 years of age, parents read me from the Little Golden Books series.
About 60 or 70 books.
Then I started to read them myself.

Then graduated to Enid Blyton and the Famous Five and Secret Seven
Birthdays and Christmas were eagerly awaited 'cos they generally provided another book in the series as a present.

Until Charles Hamilton writing as Frank Richards and the Billy Bunter series about the Greyfriars school.
Lead to my interest in Rugby Union, a sport I took up when I moved to the city and University.

Billy Bunter was followed by Captain W E Johns and the Biggles(worth) stories.
My eyesight put a stop to any desire/s for a flying career :-(

I had copies of virtually all these nooks, but they were in a backroom of my parent's country home;
and proved to be ideal fodder for whiteants (aka termites).
I still have a few half chewed books but that's all. :>((

From Biggles on, my eclectic habits lead to reading any book I could get my hands on.
I guess I enjoyed those by Dick Francis (especially), then Le Carre, Fleming, Brown, Clancy and others of this ilk.

So for my favourite book, I am hard pressed to name "one", but as a set which I still have in my bookcase at the moment, it would be those by the champion jockey Dick Francis. Guess I can most identify with these due to having handled and trained racing animals.

Apologies for waffling on, but (selfishly) in so doing a lot of enjoyable memories were opened (for me)
Oh, don't apologise @Jacket! We really love it when members express themselves like you did :giggle:

Although I could never be described as a "horsey girl" (you know the ones, maybe you are one) some of my favourite books were the Silver Brumby series by Elyne Mitchell. I also loved the Ajax books by Mary Elwyn Patchett.

As a young boy I was enchanted with the Narnian Series and still am. I've written a book in which I try to emulate C.S. Lewis' style and sense of right and wrong, as well as the excitement. Every online review I've had has received 5 stars.
It's called 'Kirjath and The Earth Warriors.' And everyone here who buys a copy and isn't satisfied with it, I'll refund their money. I promise! Ages 7 plus, including adults. Lookout JK!

Me too, Famous Five, Secret Seven, The wishing chair series, the Faraway Tree series, I used to go to bed and read and after my mum turned the light out I would read under the sheets with a torch. We would always ask for Enid Blyton books for Xmas and Birthdays and borrow and lend with friends.
As a child, what a magical world she wrote about. Such simple, happy days.