End of an era: David ‘Kochie’ Koch steps down from iconic breakfast show after 21 years - find out why!

For many Aussies, waking up to David Koch, lovingly referred to as Kochie, with their morning cuppa has been a comforting ritual spanning over two decades. Kochie's warm personality, financial expertise and strong connection with the viewers have made him an irreplaceable part of the popular breakfast show, Sunrise. However, Kochie recently announced that he is stepping down from Sunrise after 21 incredible years, marking an end to an era for the show as well as for the viewers who cherished his company every morning.

Kochie's decision to leave his role as Sunrise’s host comes after 16,000 hours of live TV broadcasting, over 5300 shows, and approximately 50,000 interviews – a truly impressive record. So, why has our beloved Kochie decided to bid farewell to his Sunrise family? Fear not, dear readers; we are here to share the scoop with the SDC community.

During his farewell announcement, Kochie expressed his gratitude for the wonderful experiences he has had during his Sunrise journey. 'I have loved every single minute of my time at Sunrise, and I'm incredibly proud of what we’ve achieved over the last 21 years,' he said. He added, 'What I’ll miss most is working with the amazing Sunrise team, especially Nat, Beretts and Dave Walters who have been with me for virtually the entire time on the show.'

It's evident that the decision to step down was not an easy one for Kochie. Nevertheless, he looks forward to the prospect of working regular business hours and spending more time with his wife, Libby, and their growing family. As well as his family, the Sunrise host intends to focus on his business interests in Pinstripe Media and the Ausbiz business channel. Kochie also hinted that he will occasionally appear on the Seven network to cover important financial news.

Tributes and warm wishes from Seven West Media's top management and colleagues poured in following Kochie's announcement. Seven West Media Chairman, Kerry Stokes AC, described him as a thorough professional and a wonderful human being.

‘David has played a central part in turning around the fortunes of the Seven Network over the past two decades to where we continue to dominate the ratings from dawn with Sunrise, a program he has been with since October 2002,’ Stokes continued.

‘I will personally miss David, as he is a thorough professional and a wonderful human being, particularly in the manner he has mentored so many Seven people.’

3855b6e954967bc208d1edcc813cbc81e2c20a44.jpg
Kochie will be leaving Sunrise after more than 2 decades on the show. Credit: Sunrise/7News

James Warburton, the Seven West Media Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, acknowledged Kochie's immense contribution to dominating breakfast TV ratings consistently.

‘Kochie has been the king of breakfast TV for two decades, taking Sunrise to No.1 and helping to keep it there year in, year out,’ said Warburton.

‘It’s an extraordinary achievement, one that he should be very proud of. But all good things come to an end, and I admire and respect his decision to step away from Sunrise while he’s at the top of his game.’

Key Takeaways

• Beloved Sunrise co-host David Koch has announced his departure from the breakfast show after 21 years.
  • Kochie is the longest-serving breakfast television host in Australian history, having broadcast a record 16,000 hours of live TV across more than 5300 shows and some 50,000 interviews.
  • He plans to focus on his family, travel, and business interests in Pinstripe Media and the Ausbiz business channel after leaving Sunrise.
  • Seven West Media Chairman Kerry Stokes AC and Seven West Media Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer James Warburton expressed their appreciation for Kochie's contributions and wished him the best in his future endeavours.
Over the years, Kochie's insightful commentary on finance matters, passion for connecting with everyday Australians, and commitment to charitable causes have made a significant impact. He has advocated for financial literacy, supported small businesses, championed medical research and promoted mental health awareness. Kochie’s willingness to give a voice to the people and use his platform to make a positive difference in their lives is a true testament to his character.

As we bid our cherished Kochie adieu and Sunrise adjusts to this significant change, let us take a nostalgic walk down memory lane and relive the unforgettable moments and lessons David Koch has shared with us throughout his impressive career. His departure marks the end of an era, but his legacy will remain in the hearts of millions of viewers that enjoyed his company during those early morning hours.

Channel 7 has yet to announce who will replace Kochie as the show's co-host. Rumours of his departure have been swirling for some time - we even wrote about it late last year.

Former Olympian Matt Shirvington is the bookies' favourite to take over, having been the show's fill-in for the last few years. Shirvington reportedly gained the trust of Seven's top brass after filling in for Kochie's annual leave.

Other potential candidates include fellow Sunrise veteran Mark Beretta, who filled in for Kochie during the Christmas holidays, and former I'm a Celebrity host Dr Chris Brown, now with Seven Network.

How do you feel about Kochie’s departure from Sunrise and who would be your ideal replacement? Were you a regular viewer of the show? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gloria Susans
Sponsored
For many Aussies, waking up to David Koch, lovingly referred to as Kochie, with their morning cuppa has been a comforting ritual spanning over two decades. Kochie's warm personality, financial expertise and strong connection with the viewers have made him an irreplaceable part of the popular breakfast show, Sunrise. However, Kochie recently announced that he is stepping down from Sunrise after 21 incredible years, marking an end to an era for the show as well as for the viewers who cherished his company every morning.

Kochie's decision to leave his role as Sunrise’s host comes after 16,000 hours of live TV broadcasting, over 5300 shows, and approximately 50,000 interviews – a truly impressive record. So, why has our beloved Kochie decided to bid farewell to his Sunrise family? Fear not, dear readers; we are here to share the scoop with the SDC community.

During his farewell announcement, Kochie expressed his gratitude for the wonderful experiences he has had during his Sunrise journey. 'I have loved every single minute of my time at Sunrise, and I'm incredibly proud of what we’ve achieved over the last 21 years,' he said. He added, 'What I’ll miss most is working with the amazing Sunrise team, especially Nat, Beretts and Dave Walters who have been with me for virtually the entire time on the show.'

It's evident that the decision to step down was not an easy one for Kochie. Nevertheless, he looks forward to the prospect of working regular business hours and spending more time with his wife, Libby, and their growing family. As well as his family, the Sunrise host intends to focus on his business interests in Pinstripe Media and the Ausbiz business channel. Kochie also hinted that he will occasionally appear on the Seven network to cover important financial news.

Tributes and warm wishes from Seven West Media's top management and colleagues poured in following Kochie's announcement. Seven West Media Chairman, Kerry Stokes AC, described him as a thorough professional and a wonderful human being.

‘David has played a central part in turning around the fortunes of the Seven Network over the past two decades to where we continue to dominate the ratings from dawn with Sunrise, a program he has been with since October 2002,’ Stokes continued.

‘I will personally miss David, as he is a thorough professional and a wonderful human being, particularly in the manner he has mentored so many Seven people.’

View attachment 20880
Kochie will be leaving Sunrise after more than 2 decades on the show. Credit: Sunrise/7News

James Warburton, the Seven West Media Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, acknowledged Kochie's immense contribution to dominating breakfast TV ratings consistently.

‘Kochie has been the king of breakfast TV for two decades, taking Sunrise to No.1 and helping to keep it there year in, year out,’ said Warburton.

‘It’s an extraordinary achievement, one that he should be very proud of. But all good things come to an end, and I admire and respect his decision to step away from Sunrise while he’s at the top of his game.’

Key Takeaways

• Beloved Sunrise co-host David Koch has announced his departure from the breakfast show after 21 years.
  • Kochie is the longest-serving breakfast television host in Australian history, having broadcast a record 16,000 hours of live TV across more than 5300 shows and some 50,000 interviews.
  • He plans to focus on his family, travel, and business interests in Pinstripe Media and the Ausbiz business channel after leaving Sunrise.
  • Seven West Media Chairman Kerry Stokes AC and Seven West Media Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer James Warburton expressed their appreciation for Kochie's contributions and wished him the best in his future endeavours.
Over the years, Kochie's insightful commentary on finance matters, passion for connecting with everyday Australians, and commitment to charitable causes have made a significant impact. He has advocated for financial literacy, supported small businesses, championed medical research and promoted mental health awareness. Kochie’s willingness to give a voice to the people and use his platform to make a positive difference in their lives is a true testament to his character.

As we bid our cherished Kochie adieu and Sunrise adjusts to this significant change, let us take a nostalgic walk down memory lane and relive the unforgettable moments and lessons David Koch has shared with us throughout his impressive career. His departure marks the end of an era, but his legacy will remain in the hearts of millions of viewers that enjoyed his company during those early morning hours.

Channel 7 has yet to announce who will replace Kochie as the show's co-host. Rumours of his departure have been swirling for some time - we even wrote about it late last year.

Former Olympian Matt Shirvington is the bookies' favourite to take over, having been the show's fill-in for the last few years. Shirvington reportedly gained the trust of Seven's top brass after filling in for Kochie's annual leave.

Other potential candidates include fellow Sunrise veteran Mark Beretta, who filled in for Kochie during the Christmas holidays, and former I'm a Celebrity host Dr Chris Brown, now with Seven Network.

How do you feel about Kochie’s departure from Sunrise and who would be your ideal replacement? Were you a regular viewer of the show? Let us know in the comments below.
Let it be anybody except the children who host the show on weekends.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I don't watch any morning TV, ever.
I prefer to have brekkie whilst reading a book ... yep the one with real pages that you touch.
Then hubby puts the blue grass on via Alexa so we can get about our day with the twangy melodies in the background.
I have seen Kochie, but, quite honestly don't get the fuss.
We all reach our use by date as far as work is concerned. Might find it a bit bewildering not having to get up each day before the night shift workers go home. He'll adapt, I'm sure.

View attachment 20880

Key Takeaways

I see a bit when getting ready for work, find so many of the hosts, who whether it's occasionally, or more often or .'..x..' forbid when as a group/team, they are rude, put people "down" and/or laugh at them and their beliefs. Usually they wait until the person has been turned off air. Honestly where do they think it is ok to do that. It shows arrogance, self centredness, and domineering behaviour putting their views forth as if right and only one to be considered, but also shows their nonacceptance of others views and beliefs, and ignorance of many topics which has them making comments and laughing as a coverup. Really if they don't agree or don't know much, they should keep quiet. At the moment Nat does this almost every time I see her. And she makes digs often at her cohosts. (On a side topic why for ads for the program is Nat in evening/sexy gowns with her arms/hands on Kochie's body. It's TV hosting- so not appropriate.) The whole scene of breakfast shows needs a big shake up. (Don't get me started on Karl's offensive behaviours).
That's my rant done.

He does have a lot of knowledge he imparts for sure and he is very enthusiastic and passionate about his work. But I don't like a lot of the behaviours from him and the team. (have written another post).

I admire David Koch as he is not afraid to say what he means. The whole of the Sunrise team seem to get on with each other. Please do not put Sam Mac in his place. I am now retired so I record the programme and cut out the things that do not interest me. Good luck to him and Libby.

Kochie has been a great host and will be missed. But after 21 years and 3 female host he deserves a change.

My bet for replacement would be Matt Doran Or Mark Baretta .

If it's Mark Baretta then Shirvo will replace Baretta for sports or even Katy

And Shirvo to replace Matt Doran on week end sunrise .
Hopefully it isn't someone we haven't seen before

I admire David Koch as he is not afraid to say what he means. The whole of the Sunrise team seem to get on with each other. Please do not put Sam Mac in his place. I am now retired so I record the programme and cut out the things that do not interest me. Good luck to him and Libby.
They will never give Sam Mac that job , could you imagine

View attachment 20880

Key Takeaways