Empty shelves prompt outcry: 'Why are there no eggs?'

Eggs are a great source of protein and other nutrients and are regularly consumed in various ways, from poached eggs on toast for breakfast to hard-boiled eggs for snacking.

Industry estimates place the consumption of eggs at 18.5 million daily —- amounting to about 15 kg per person annually in Australia.

That’s why Aussies were understandably concerned when an egg shortage hit the poultry industry last year.

It’s been quite some time since we’ve heard the news of shelves empty of egg cartons… until now.

Recently, one Woolworths customer from Melbourne took to Twitter to share a video of their local store. They captioned the footage: 'Why are there NO eggs at Woolworths?'

The six-second clip shows an entire shelf at the retail giant without eggs, offering another unpleasant throwback to 2022 when stores were forced to impose purchase limits due to tight supply and some restaurants cut back on their servings.

Many users replied to the post, which had been viewed over 60,000 times as of writing.

‘Plenty at my local Woolies,’ one user responded.

Screenshot_15.png
A woman took to Twitter to express concern over the lack of eggs at one Victoria Woolworths branch. Image Credit: Twitter

‘Funny, our local IGA in QLD was the same two days ago,’ another added.

A third shared: ‘I went to Coles today, and there are limits, and hardly any on the shelves. Same with my two local IGAs.’

Of course, others resorted to classic Aussie humour.

‘Chooks are on strike,’ a user said, as another added, ‘Just like everybody else.’

‘Hopefully, (it’s just) because they’re scrubbing the shelves,’ a second thought.

And a third added: ‘Every week it’s something different that disappears.’

One user offered a possible explanation for the concerning sight.

‘(The) fridge unit could be down, and they had to pull (the eggs) and move them to cold storage while waiting for it to be fixed,’ they said.

Curiously, some said eggs weren’t scarce in their local shops.

Farmers blamed post-pandemic effects such as a smaller flock size for the egg shortage last year.

During the height of the lockdowns, the low demand for eggs forced farmers to reduce the number of chickens. This meant that they couldn’t keep up with the surge in demand as restrictions eventually eased across Australia.

There are also observations that a shifting preference for free-range chicken also had a role in the egg shortage, especially with winter impacting production rates.

But that was months ago. What’s happening now?

‘Egg supply at Woolworths is stable and increasing each month. While we continue to deliver eggs to our stores regularly, we're currently seeing increased demand in Victoria,’ Woolworths said.

48860035303_cbf18c2cfd_o.jpg
Aussies consume about 15 kg of eggs yearly, based on figures from industry sources. Image Credit: Flickr

Coles also warned customers: ‘Due to ongoing industry-wide egg supply challenges, customers may not find their usual brand of eggs when they shop.’

On Coles’ website, typing ‘eggs’ in the search bar reveals a notice displayed among the results, which says that they’ve ‘introduced a temporary purchase limit of two items per transaction’.

‘We're continuing to monitor supply and are working hard with our suppliers to improve availability as quickly as possible,’ the retailer added.

Average Egg Consumption of Australians per Individual.jpg
The last couple of fiscal years (FY) reveal increased egg consumption by individual Australians. Image Credit: Australian Eggs

Rival supermarket ALDI also said it was addressing the matter at its stores.

‘Like other retailers, we are working with our supplier partners to balance egg supply so that customers will see a return to regular stock levels as soon as possible,’ they said.

Key Takeaways

• One shopper came across an empty shelf of eggs at Woolworths.
  • Previous reports detailed a shortage of eggs in Australia due to supply being unable to keep up with demand.
  • Woolworths and other supermarkets, such as Coles and ALDI, said they are working to improve the availability of eggs.
  • Australians consume around 18.5 million eggs every day.
When and where possible, we encourage checking in advance if your local stores have stocks of eggs ready.

For example, Woolworths has a feature where you can see in-store stock of items. Simply search for a relevant product — in this case, eggs — on their website and click on it to open its profile.

You should see a ‘Check stock in our stores’ button, which opens up a window displaying branches near you that have the item in stock.

In the meantime, let’s keep our fingers crossed that eggs won’t be as scarce in the coming days.

So, what are your thoughts on this shopper’s concerning find? Have you noticed eggs being scarce at your local grocery recently?

How would a shortage of eggs at this time impact you?

Share your comments and observations below!

Source: Twitter/@meanwhileinautiny

Last edited:
Sponsored
Over the last 6 weeks eggs in my area in Sydney have had restrictions of 2 cartons per customers and shelves have been empty.

I hope this is old news and not a new out if stock 😕

Reactions: Ricci
no shortages of eggs, just colesworh etc claiming shortages to justify a 70c plus increase in cost

These monopolies dictate prices, they use any excuse , covid, fuel prices, the grower/farmers get jack shit from them and are going broke while these organisations are making record profits\ stop buying eggs for 3 month and watch the price plummet we dont actually really need eggs do we?

no shortages of eggs, just colesworh etc claiming shortages to justify a 70c plus increase in cost

These monopolies dictate prices, they use any excuse , covid, fuel prices, the grower/farmers get jack shit from them and are going broke while these organisations are making record profits\ stop buying eggs for 3 month and watch the price plummet we dont actually really need eggs do we?
I would find very difficult to cut out eggs. My husband and I eat them in many ways, as well as using them in baking. I usually buy them direct from the farm.

Recently I was disgusted to see a customer walking through checkout with her trolley laden with eggs and just 2 cartons on shelf left with broken eggs. Just when I needed eggs that day for cooking. No choice to venture to another local store for any
Being a good hour drive each way. Yes a regional town in WA. Plans changed for the day no cooking to be done. I decided to go early the next day to get eggs well who do I see but the same customer loading up her large trolley again so I asked her could I just have a dozen eggs please which was met with NO she had a business
In town and needed all those eggs daily for her restaurant. Just not fair grrrr

Eggs are a great source of protein and other nutrients and are regularly consumed in various ways, from poached eggs on toast for breakfast to hard-boiled eggs for snacking.

Industry estimates place the consumption of eggs at 18.5 million daily —- amounting to about 15 kg per person annually in Australia.

That’s why Aussies were understandably concerned when an egg shortage hit the poultry industry last year.

It’s been quite some time since we’ve heard the news of shelves empty of egg cartons… until now.

Recently, one Woolworths customer from Melbourne took to Twitter to share a video of their local store. They captioned the footage: 'Why are there NO eggs at Woolworths?'

The six-second clip shows an entire shelf at the retail giant without eggs, offering another unpleasant throwback to 2022 when stores were forced to impose purchase limits due to tight supply and some restaurants cut back on their servings.

Many users replied to the post, which had been viewed over 60,000 times as of writing.

View attachment 14176
A woman took to Twitter to express concern over the lack of eggs at one Victoria Woolworths branch. Image Credit: Twitter

A third shared: ‘I went to Coles today, and there are limits, and hardly any on the shelves. Same with my two local IGAs.’

‘Chooks are on strike,’ a user said, as another added, ‘Just like everybody else.’

‘Hopefully, (it’s just) because they’re scrubbing the shelves,’ a second thought.

‘(The) fridge unit could be down, and they had to pull (the eggs) and move them to cold storage while waiting for it to be fixed,’ they said.

Farmers blamed post-pandemic effects such as a smaller flock size for the egg shortage last year.

During the height of the lockdowns, the low demand for eggs forced farmers to reduce the number of chickens. This meant that they couldn’t keep up with the surge in demand as restrictions eventually eased across Australia.

There are also observations that a shifting preference for free-range chicken also had a role in the egg shortage, especially with winter impacting production rates.

‘Egg supply at Woolworths is stable and increasing each month. While we continue to deliver eggs to our stores regularly, we're currently seeing increased demand in Victoria,’ Woolworths said.

View attachment 14177
Aussies consume about 15 kg of eggs yearly, based on figures from industry sources. Image Credit: Flickr

Coles also warned customers: ‘Due to ongoing industry-wide egg supply challenges, customers may not find their usual brand of eggs when they shop.’

On Coles’ website, typing ‘eggs’ in the search bar reveals a notice displayed among the results, which says that they’ve ‘introduced a temporary purchase limit of two items per transaction’.

‘We're continuing to monitor supply and are working hard with our suppliers to improve availability as quickly as possible,’ the retailer added.

View attachment 14235
The last couple of fiscal years (FY) reveal increased egg consumption by individual Australians. Image Credit: Australian Eggs

‘Like other retailers, we are working with our supplier partners to balance egg supply so that customers will see a return to regular stock levels as soon as possible,’ they said.

Key Takeaways

• Previous reports detailed a shortage of eggs in Australia due to supply being unable to keep up with demand.
  • Woolworths and other supermarkets, such as Coles and ALDI, said they are working to improve the availability of eggs.
When and where possible, we encourage checking in advance if your local stores have stocks of eggs ready.

For example, Woolworths has a feature where you can see in-store stock of items. Simply search for a relevant product — in this case, eggs — on their website and click on it to open its profile.

You should see a ‘Check stock in our stores’ button, which opens up a window displaying branches near you that have the item in stock.

In the meantime, let’s keep our fingers crossed that eggs won’t be as scarce in the coming days.

So, what are your thoughts on this shopper’s concerning find? Have you noticed eggs being scarce at your local grocery recently?

Eggs aren’t my issue but at Coles my go to breakfast cereal Uncle Tobys Vita Brits has disappeared from their shelves. When I asked when they would reappear I was met with a shoulder shrug.

Reactions: Ricci
I agree if everybody did that the supermarkets would have to do something about it. They say they have to put prices up because of the cost to make things and fuel but if that is so how come they have just made a few mill in profit ???
Lucky to have an Egg Farm, close by which is open to the public, 1 Dozen Free Range Eggs $8.50 ,easy enough to spot the Free Range/Barn Laid chickens running around so I am confident in What I am buying, cannot see the Cage Chickens but can see the huge Factory/shed there is no problem with the size either, I usually ask for Free Range 800 gram and have never been refused, The Farm sells to all the local Supermarkets as well, so I am happy to be supporting a local Business as well as Supporting the kinder farming of Chicken Eggs.

View attachment 14176

View attachment 14177

View attachment 14235

Key Takeaways

Fortunately, all is well at my local shops. But can understand others frustration of empty shelves in their supermarkets.

So far I have not noticed a shortage of eggs in my local shops. Maybe it is to do with the price of meat, more people are using eggs as a meat substitute. When I shop I buy 2 cartons if the shelves are full, if there aren’t many left I just buy 1 carton. When I can’t get any I don’t worry, I just adjust my meals to egg free and bake less.

Lucky to have an Egg Farm, close by which is open to the public, 1 Dozen Free Range Eggs $8.50 ,easy enough to spot the Free Range/Barn Laid chickens running around so I am confident in What I am buying, cannot see the Cage Chickens but can see the huge Factory/shed there is no problem with the size either, I usually ask for Free Range 800 gram and have never been refused, The Farm sells to all the local Supermarkets as well, so I am happy to be supporting a local Business as well as Supporting the kinder farming of Chicken Eggs.
I wouldn't pay 8 50 for 2 dozen eggs! I get the colesworth 1 dozen 700g @ 3.50 now increased to 4.50 any higher and I go without, same with meat, bread etc no smashed avo for this shopper i have a very low budget and cannot overstep it

View attachment 14176

View attachment 14177

View attachment 14235

Key Takeaways

two items = 2 eggs?