Elton John concertgoers left in shock by Molly Meldrum's 'embarrassing' stage antics

Do you know what makes a concert even better? A totally unexpected moment that makes the night unforgettable.

That's exactly what happened at the recent Elton John concert in Melbourne, and it's all thanks to none other than Australia's very own 'national treasure' Ian 'Molly' Meldrum.

He's always been one to push boundaries, but his recent antics have gotten people suggesting that maybe it's time for him to stick to watching concerts from the comfort of his own living room. (Or not!)

Meldrum, 79, is no stranger to courting controversy and getting himself involved in the spotlight. But this weekend, he might even take the cake after things took an unexpected and rather 'embarrassing' turn at the recent Elton John concert in Melbourne.

It all began when the music critic was in attendance, with Elton paying tribute to him on stage by heaping him with praise and calling him 'a national treasure'.

Naturally, Meldrum thought it was time to honour his idol as well. But fans were caught off guard when he appeared onstage with Elton during a performance of 'The B**ch Is Back' – and suddenly pulled his pants down to moon the crowd!

Needless to say, concertgoers were left speechless over the sight, with videos and photos of the incident quickly going viral on social media.

Some fans thought the moment was hilarious, with one concertgoer posting: 'If seeing Molly Meldrum's bare bum was on your 2023 bingo card, here you go.'

Another person tweeted: 'Molly, the cheeky lad!'

Others, though, were not too amused. 'Totally embarrassing, they should usher him off stage,' someone commented on a post, with plenty of others agreeing.

Even actor Samuel Johnson felt the need to weigh in, calling on Meldrum to hang up his hat. 'I'm sick of him doing this,' he said in a recent interview. 'Hang up your hat, mate.'

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 9.20.40 AM.png
Molly shocked concertgoers by having his pants down during a performance. Credit: Twitter.

Meldrum has since apologised for the blunder, blaming it on a wardrobe malfunction that allegedly saw his belt buckle break prior to him appearing on stage.

'At the start of the night, my belt buckle broke, and my pants were already falling down', Meldrum recalled. 'And on stage, one thing led to another.'

He went on to add: 'I should have just given Elton a kiss and got off the stage, but when you're that close to a genius at work, it's something to savour.'

'Elton is an icon and a legend. I'm just a naughty boy who needs a new belt.'

This certainly is not the first time Meldrum has pulled something like this.

In 2017, he also 'stole the spotlight' at the 60th annual Logie Awards when he took the microphone away from Samuel Johnson during his acceptance speech dedicated to his charity and his sister, who was battling cancer at the time.

'They announced my name, my million dollar moment where I was going to plug the charity, and Molly got up and gave me a hat and (what followed was) interminable drivel for about eight minutes,' said the actor.

'Nobody understood, and he took away my moment.'
Key Takeaways

• Ian 'Molly' Meldrum shocked Elton John concert-goers on Friday night by dropping his pants and mooning the crowd.
  • Meldrum has since apologised for the incident and blamed it on a wardrobe malfunction.
  • Aussie actor Samuel Johnson criticised Meldrum for taking away his moment at the Logie Awards and called on him to 'hang up his hat'.
This story serves as a reminder that we all have moments of foolishness in our lives. Apologising for our actions can be humbling and difficult, especially when it involves taking away from someone else's moment in the spotlight.

But it is also important to remember that we are all human and make mistakes! The important thing is to take the lessons we've learned and change for the better.

So, there you have it, members! What do you think of this moment? Did you find it funny? Or, as others may have put it, was it 'embarrassing'? Please let us know in the comments. We'd love to hear from you!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: Ezzy, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Certainly not a wardrobe malfunction & Fat&fancy l didn't need to look hard to see the rolls of skin on the right cheek & the 'crack' to know there wasn't any skin coloured undies on him. Not what l would have wanted to see if I'd paid the sort of money those folk did to see Elton!
Ahh loosen up, where's your sense of humour? Molly and Elton go back yonks, it was all in good fun.
Certainly not a wardrobe malfunction & Fat&fancy l didn't need to look hard to see the rolls of skin on the right cheek & the 'crack' to know there wasn't any skin coloured undies on him. Not what l would have wanted to see if I'd paid the sort of money those folk did to see Elton!