Effortless 45-second Cooking Hack for PERFECT poached eggs

Cooking can feel like such a chore sometimes, especially when you’re the type of person who is always on the go! God knows when my tummy starts grumbling, labour intensive recipes and long preparation times for cooking are immediately not an option.

Thankfully, this Sydney teacher, Katie Lolas, shared an effortless cooking method for poaching perfect eggs every time in just 45 seconds— without using a stovetop!

“If you don’t have a poaching contraption on hand and hate the taste of vinegar in your poached eggs, then this is for you,” she said.

“Whether it’s for eggs Benedict or avocado toast, this is the foolproof way to make poached eggs in the microwave.”

Screenshot at Feb 03 11-28-48.pngScreenshot at Feb 03 11-29-10.png
Katie’s secret method on perfect poached eggs. Image Credit: @lady.lolas

In a recently posted Instagram video, Katie shows her exact process using just a glass of water.

She starts it off by filling a quarter of a microwave-safe glass with water for the egg to be cracked into and coated with.

“Crack an egg into the water ensuring that the egg is covered with water…” the teacher explained. “Poke the whites around the egg yolk three times with a fork or knife so the whites cook well .”

After that, she pops the glass into a microwave and sets it on high for about 45 seconds.
When it’s cooked to your liking, proceed by straining the egg and serving with your dish of choice.

Katie warns her viewers to not use the same water twice in the microwave if you’re cooking more than one egg since this leads to the water being too hot which jeopardises the process.

Katie’s Instagram video has amassed over 80,000 views and comments that praised her for her cooking tip.

A person comments: “Ummm… why has no one showed me this before??? Can’t wait to try it!”

“This is going to change my life. Thanks for sharing!” another wrote.

“Woah, I just tried this and it works perfectly!” a user added.

Katie shares in the comments section that she originally got the idea from her husband who showed it to her years ago.

Looking for more cooking tips? We share plenty here at the SDC Read this article about quick, hassle-free churros by clicking here.

Sponsored
I've just tried this so I could hopefully have a poached egg with my avocado on toast for breakfast. It works perfectly. What a brilliant hack. I wish I'd known about it years ago. By the way I used a tea cup because I had one handy. It was the perfect size.

I've just tried this so I could hopefully have a poached egg with my avocado on toast for breakfast. It works perfectly. What a brilliant hack. I wish I'd known about it years ago. By the way I used a tea cup because I had one handy. It was the perfect size.
Hooray! We're glad it worked out for you ;)

I don't worry about putting it in water.
I just moisten a small bowl with a bit of water, tip it out, break the egg into it, poke the whites and yolk with a fork several times, place a piece of hand towel across the top, microwave for about 25 - 30 seconds till cooked to my liking, and I have a yummy soft poached egg with minimal washing up.
Don't walk away, or the egg might explode if it gets too hot, same as anything in the microwave.

Reactions: Jennylolo and Phyll
I just moisten a small bowl with a bit of water, tip it out, break the egg into it, poke the whites and yolk with a fork several times, place a piece of hand towel across the top, microwave for about 25 - 30 seconds till cooked to my liking, and I have a yummy soft poached egg with minimal washing up.
Don't walk away, or the egg might explode if it gets too hot, same as anything in the microwave.
My son in law showed me this tip years ago, i do this when cooking a egg for one person .

Reactions: Jennylolo and Gaena
If you pierce the yolk once with a skewer or tooth pick, the egg won't explode

A quick egg, I scramble mine in a mug using the microwave total cooking time 30 then 20 seconds. Break egg into a mug, add a small amount of milk whisk with a fork microwave on high for 30 seconds, give it another whisk and then 20 seconds on high and turn out on your toast perfect scrambled egg.

Tried it this morning - disaster! Half the white was raw and the yolk was solid rubber. Will stick to normal poaching which works fine every time

• Haha
Reactions: Elbe
crack egg into microwave safe glass, No water or anything else, do not cover, cook for 30 seconds. Perfect poached egg. Time may vary according to Kw of microwave.

Reactions: Tervueren