Eerie abandoned plane in Bali has people talking. Can you solve the mystery?

Ask any Aussie what they know about Bali and maybe nine times out of 10, they’ll say it’s the beaches. Or the nightlife.

The destination was host to thousands of visitors from Down Under each year before the COVID pandemic. It doesn’t take an expert to see why.

Among the beautiful scenery is Bali’s very own mystery!

You see, not far from a famous beach, just off the Raya Nusa Dua Selatan highway in Bali, there sits an abandoned aeroplane, and nobody knows why it’s there!

In a short video posted on content-sharing platform TikTok, Daniel MacKinnon zoomed in (literally) on a white Boeing 737 parked in what looks like a grassy meadow just off a main road.

Now, some reports say an Australian owned it with the plan to turn it into a restaurant. The poor Aussie ran out of money, and then left the plane all by itself.

Tourists can see the plane from afar but on-site security prevents them from going any nearer.

Screenshot_1.png
The abandoned Boeing 737 is located just off a highway. Credit: TikTok/@d.mack0

The abandoned Boeing was also reportedly built in 1982, first being used in an Israeli airline’s fleet.

Ten years later in 1992, it was absorbed by British Airways.

It eventually found itself entering a low-budget Indonesian airline that went out of business some time in 2014.

It is unclear when the Boeing exactly stopped operating, but what’s for certain is it’s very much present in Bali — and very much abandoned!

Source: TikTok/@d.mack0

Story over, right? Nope!

There’s actually another abandoned plane in Bali, and it’s right next to a Dunkin Donuts store!

Another user, Josh, posted on TikTok to show off the plane, and it’s literally a stone’s throw away from the iconic American doughnut shop.

‘You wouldn’t believe this but on the side of a Dunkin’ Donuts lies an abandoned 737.’ Josh began.

‘It’s on a busy street too; it’s legit! You won't find this anywhere else. It’s awesome!’

This time, unlike the other plane, Josh was able to approach. He noted while coming closer that the plane looked mostly run down, with one engine missing and boarded up.

Key Takeaways

• Two creepy and abandoned aeroplanes in Bali have caught the attention of social media users online.
  • The Boeing 737s, abandoned at separate locations in the popular tourist destination, offer no clues as to why they were left there.
  • Some rumours say the two were supposed to be repurposed into restaurants, but plans did not work out.
Not happy with just an outside look, he even went inside it through one open passageway where cargo must have been stored.

Sadly he didn’t find anything notable inside. All he found were some boxes and blankets. No complaints here, though!

Was this also supposed to be a restaurant? Some people said yes, but as with the beachside plane, things didn’t go as planned and it now lies unused.

What is for certain is that this abandoned plane was involved in a runway excursion accident and was scrapped by a local airline after being damaged beyond repair.

Screenshot_2.png
The second abandoned plane in Bali had definitely seen better days. Credit: TikTok/@exploringwithjoshy

Speaking of things left untouched, be sure to check out this story of one abandoned hotel’s creepy mystery, and this house’s blast from the past with objects from the 90s almost frozen in time.

It goes without saying, we don’t advise similar activities and recommend staying away from abandoned areas! Haven’t you ever seen the start of scary movies?!

While we’re sure you already know better, we’d appreciate it if you pass along the reminder to the kids (and the grandkids) who may find themselves in unfortunate accidents should they let curiosity get the better of them.

What is your reaction to these eerie planes left abandoned in Bali? Have you seen them in person or visited Bali?

Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: TikTok/@exporingwithjoshy

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
I visited Bali in 1976.
It seemed so undeveloped all those years ago, with very few high rise buildings.
There were armed guards standing all along the beaches, making us tourists feel rather unsafe.
Hoards of children raced after us, grabbing our clothing and bags and cameras, begging.
Nothing has made me want to return.

I visited Bali in 1976.
It seemed so undeveloped all those years ago, with very few high rise buildings.
There were armed guards standing all along the beaches, making us tourists feel rather unsafe.
Hoards of children raced after us, grabbing our clothing and bags and cameras, begging.
Nothing has made me want to return.
We wouldn't blame you, not with an experience like that :(

Reactions: Ricci
I have never been to Bali and have no wish to after our experiences when we were emigrating. We came the cooks tour, bus route method as it was the cheapest. We stopped in Bali to refuel and pick up some passengers. The aircrew, up to that point had been perfect, nothing was too much trouble and they were as friendly as. We picked up a load of typical Aussie males returning to Aus. It was my introduction into this creature and to be honest I wasn't impressed. They were without exception drunk, in various stages of undress having come straight from the beaches it seemed. The noise levels went up to extreme and the poor aircrew had to put up with roving hands, hands up their skirts etc. When we finally got to Perth most on board were legless, in fact two had to be carried off the plane and a whole bunch more staggered off in their mates arms. Welcome to Australia!!;)

• Sad
Reactions: Defiant540
I have never been to Bali and have no wish to after our experiences when we were emigrating. We came the cooks tour, bus route method as it was the cheapest. We stopped in Bali to refuel and pick up some passengers. The aircrew, up to that point had been perfect, nothing was too much trouble and they were as friendly as. We picked up a load of typical Aussie males returning to Aus. It was my introduction into this creature and to be honest I wasn't impressed. They were without exception drunk, in various stages of undress having come straight from the beaches it seemed. The noise levels went up to extreme and the poor aircrew had to put up with roving hands, hands up their skirts etc. When we finally got to Perth most on board were legless, in fact two had to be carried off the plane and a whole bunch more staggered off in their mates arms. Welcome to Australia!!;)
What a disgrace.....I sense it's that sort of entitlement behaviour that moved the Bali bombers to target Australians.

Reactions: Ricci