Easy Mushroom Gravy

I know I hate mushrooms but as my family love them I am always cooking them

This mushroom gravy is so easy and everyone loves it.

Goes well with all red meat and my daughter loves it on potato,

You can freeze in small containers I would freeze in 1 cup containers

Want more then double recipe , want less then half it

Screenshot_20230726_185034_Gallery.jpg

INGREDIENTS

500g button mushrooms sliced this
1 small onion finely chopped
1 tablespoonolive oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 minced garlic or 1 1/2 teaspoon jar garlic
Pinch of salt
Sprinkle of pepper

GRAVY

4 tablespoon plain flour
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups beef stock ..homebrand is ok
Pinch of salt and sprinkle of pepper

Screenshot_20230726_185126_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230726_185112_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230726_185044_Gallery.jpg

METHOD

 Mushrooms

1. In a large frypan heat oil and add butter

2. Add 1/2 the mushrooms and all the onions , after a few minutes turn mushrooms

3. Remove mushrooms and onion and put onto a plate. Add remaining mushroomsto pan , if needed at a little more butter.

4. cook mushrooms for a few minutes, then add garlic, turn mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes or until brown. Remove and add to plate with other mushrooms .

GRAVY

1. In the same pan melt butter

2. Add flour and stir to mix

3. Add beef stock slowly while stirring ( this prevents lumps)

4. stir until it thickens, add salt n pepper

5. Add mushrooms back to pan and heat through.

Serve on top of steak

Goes well with and red meat

You can replace the beef stock with either vegetable stock or chicken stock

Last edited:
Sponsored
Sounds lovely but I have a really easy mushroom sauce. Sauté mushrooms in butter ,throw in some spring onions then a carton of cream. Bring to boil and simmer til thickened. If you are having guests and want to add an extra ‘ dash’ pour in a nip of whiskey. Pour over a steak. Quick, easy and very tasty.

Sounds lovely but I have a really easy mushroom sauce. Sauté mushrooms in butter ,throw in some spring onions then a carton of cream. Bring to boil and simmer til thickened. If you are having guests and want to add an extra ‘ dash’ pour in a nip of whiskey. Pour over a steak. Quick, easy and very tasty.
Mushrooms love butter👍

• Love
Reactions: Starry
I have a similar one which is a mushroom sauce. This is a gravy and without the cream.
I usually have mushrooms and only buy cream when I need to.

This recipyou are more likely to have the ingredients and less heavy than using cream