Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Berry Sundae for two Diabetic friendly

Hubby has had diabetes for two years and I went on a mad diabetic friendly recipe's
Serves 2
Prep time 10 minutes
exps48577_HCK153422A09_05_5b.jpg

Ingredients​

• 1/4 cup halved fresh strawberries
  • 1/4 cup each fresh raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
  • 3 teaspoons honey, divided
  • 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice ( also good for men's prostrate)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted

Directions​

1. In a small bowl, combine berries and 1 teaspoon honey; spoon berries into 2 dessert dishes.
  2. Combine the yogurt, pomegranate juice and remaining honey; spoon over berries. Sprinkle with walnuts.

Sponsored
I’m a Credentialled Diabetes Educator and this ‘treat’ has too many carbs for a diabetic!! Berries are excellent but watch the serves and honey and yoghurt are carbs. Cut out the honey- spread out the carb served!!!

3 teaspoons of honey is nothing 😉
Well, you see 3 x teaspoons of honey will spike insulin levels just as much as a slice or 2 of bread. A person who is a type 2 diabetic or is slowly becoming one (pre-diabetic) is in effect insulin resistant. Amongst other things, sugar, carbs and frequent insulin spikes, in the main are most likely what got them into that condition in the first place. To become insulin sensitive which is what all of us need to do is to reduce the insulin spikes and the size of those spikes throughout the day. The less frequent you eat the less the insulin spikes. The less sugar or carbs you eat the lower your insulin spike will be.
A common issue as well is that accompanied with 'just a couple of teaspoons', will be other high carb/sugar foods consumed throughout the day which all add up. Essentially someone who is diabetic or prediabetic, should eliminate sugar altogether, reduce carbs substantially and include good quality fats. Fat does not spike insulin levels but becomes the main form of energy.
I know this is a long-winded response to your reply, but people need to be clear. If you do not get your diabetes under control, there may well be no future or at the very least a poor one.

I like a bowl of mixed cut up fruit , have it every day after my main meal at lunch , no honey or other sweetness , the fruit on it’s own is sweet enough . There are all year round apples and oranges on the market , now there is plenty of strawberries , blueberries and raspberries around as well and soon enough the stone fruit is getting cheaper. I do not use any juice on top , most fruit juices store bought are too sweet . I just put a handful of roasted mixed nuts on top . Never get sick of it .:).

Hubby has had diabetes for two years and I went on a mad diabetic friendly recipe's
Serves 2
Prep time 10 minutes
View attachment 30331

Ingredients​

Directions​

1. In a small bowl, combine berries and 1 teaspoon honey; spoon berries into 2 dessert dishes.
  2. Combine the yogurt, pomegranate juice and remaining honey; spoon over berries. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Sounds lovely. But the fruit and honey will spike some of us/our, sugar levels. Portion control is critical.. thanks though 🙂

Serves 2
Prep time 10 minutes
View attachment 30331

Ingredients​

Directions​

Looks yum and no doubt, is delicious! 😋😋 Gosh, after reading everyone else's comments, I totally forgot about the sugar content of this dish; would have been much better to just utilise the fruit WITHOUT the sugar ......

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzanne rose
Well, you see 3 x teaspoons of honey will spike insulin levels just as much as a slice or 2 of bread. A person who is a type 2 diabetic or is slowly becoming one (pre-diabetic) is in effect insulin resistant. Amongst other things, sugar, carbs and frequent insulin spikes, in the main are most likely what got them into that condition in the first place. To become insulin sensitive which is what all of us need to do is to reduce the insulin spikes and the size of those spikes throughout the day. The less frequent you eat the less the insulin spikes. The less sugar or carbs you eat the lower your insulin spike will be.
A common issue as well is that accompanied with 'just a couple of teaspoons', will be other high carb/sugar foods consumed throughout the day which all add up. Essentially someone who is diabetic or prediabetic, should eliminate sugar altogether, reduce carbs substantially and include good quality fats. Fat does not spike insulin levels but becomes the main form of energy.
I know this is a long-winded response to your reply, but people need to be clear. If you do not get your diabetes under control, there may well be no future or at the very least a poor one.
Well said, and you are 100% correct Joseph. My daughter and I follow a strict keto / lowcarb / lifestyle "diet" .... There are 1000s of recipes for them on the internet.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
Where does one buy monk fruit from🙀at least honeys convenient maybe in everyone’s pantry😁I think this is a good recipe thanks😁i love honey I squirt it straight onto my 😛 yummmmmmy😹
From your local monkey... There's a few where I live.

And what's with all these anti sugar people crawling out of the closet? Next thing will be water and oxygen causing leukaemia.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Serves 2
Prep time 10 minutes
View attachment 30331

Ingredients​

Directions​

I thought honey was definitely not on the diet for a diabetic. What about the sugar content?

• Love
Reactions: Petra
If it was someone else posting these recipes they wouldn't be doing it. There is one person posting starting with P is one who attacks .

Do they not realise I post recipes to share my family's favourite and it takes me time to post and I do it so others can try them.

I'm sure those Diabetics know what to eat and let those who are not Diabetics to indulge sometimes. Omg I will eat awhole block of chocolate sometimes.

Haven't you notice it's only me these comments happen to
The recipe for the pineapple upside down cake had much more sugar but was anything said .

I’m a Credentialled Diabetes Educator and this ‘treat’ has too many carbs for a diabetic!! Berries are excellent but watch the serves and honey and yoghurt are carbs. Cut out the honey- spread out the carb served!!!
Where is the carbs!!! The dietician told hubby low fat greek yoghurt is good.

Please tell me where the carb is

If it was someone else posting these recipes they wouldn't be doing it. There is one person posting starting with P is one who attacks .

Do they not realise I post recipes to share my family's favourite and it takes me time to post and I do it so others can try them.

I'm sure those Diabetics know what to eat and let those who are not Diabetics to indulge sometimes. Omg I will eat awhole block of chocolate sometimes.

Haven't you notice it's only me these comments happen to
The recipe for the pineapple upside down cake had much more sugar but was anything said .
I am diabetic but thought that honey was one of the things I was told not to eat. Didn't mean to criticise your recipes. I think you are very good in sharing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×