Driving shift: Millions of state’s motorists gear up for major licence change

In a digital age where convenience is king, Australians are witnessing a significant shift in how they carry out everyday activities, including driving.

One state is set to join the ranks of the others by officially allowing over four million motorists a new option for their driver's licence.

From May, Victoria's Minister for Roads, Melissa Horne, announced that the option to use a digital version of driver's licence will be rolled out statewide, signalling a new era of digital integration for road users.

This move, which has been successfully trialled for six months in Ballarat with 15,000 participants, is a game-changer for drivers who are accustomed to the traditional plastic card.

The change will be beneficial for more than 4.5 million fully licensed eligible drivers.

compressed-shutterstock_1010088844.jpeg
Victoria announced the option to use a digital version of driver’s licence for more than 4.5 million eligible drivers starting May 2024. Credits: Shutterstock

The digital licence isn't just a static image; it's a dynamic, real-time reflection of the driver's status, indicating clearly if the licence has been revoked or suspended.

This innovative feature will ensure that the information is always up-to-date, providing peace of mind for both the licence holder and those who need to verify its authenticity, such as police and businesses.

Verification will be made secure and straightforward through the use of a timed QR code, which can be scanned to confirm the licence's validity.

The convenience of having a digital driver's licence extends beyond just driving as it can also be used as proof of identity starting this month, streamlining processes that require photo identification.

As we approach the official change, consultations with key stakeholders, including bars, restaurants, retailers, and law enforcement, will intensify to ensure a smooth transition.

'Our digital driver licences will make it easier for Victorians when they go about their day-to-day lives—whether that's driving around, renting a car, collecting a parcel or visiting a licensed venue,' Ms Horne stated, highlighting the practical benefits of this technological advancement.

The digital trend is not new to Australia, with Queensland, South Australia, and New South Wales already embracing digital IDs.

South Australia was the pioneer, launching its digital licences in 2017, with NSW following suit two years later.

Queenslanders, despite a minor glitch delaying the rollout, have been able to use digital ID cards since November 2023.

Victorian Minister for Government Services, Gabrielle Williams, acknowledged the public's demand for such a service, saying, 'Victorians have been asking us for a digital driver licence.'

‘From next month, millions of Victorians can access them on their phones, alongside other government-issued cards like a Working with Children Check, seniors card or fishing licence.’

For those who have already downloaded the myVicRoads or Services Victoria app, the transition will be seamless.

The digital licence will automatically appear in the app once processed in May, and any updates to licence conditions or personal details, such as home addresses, will be reflected real-time.
Key Takeaways

• Victorians will be able to use a digital version of their driver's licence, with more than 4.5 million fully licensed drivers eligible for the change initially.
  • The digital licence, which can be stored in the Service Victoria or myVicRoads app, will show real-time status updates and can be verified with a timed QR code.
  • The initiative followed a successful six-month trial in Ballarat and the move by several other Australian states to digital driver's licences.
  • The digital licence will be rolled out statewide starting May 2024, with consultation with relevant organisations occurring throughout April.
Have you made the switch to a digital licence yet, or are you planning to? What are your concerns or expectations? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Well I hope WA lives up to it's usual 'Wait A while' policy. I used mine recently to open up a locked toilet door with a broken lock.

• Haha
Reactions: Ingot
I don't have the internet on my phone so I would have to ask the policeman to follow me home or to Maccas to use my wifi so no I won't be changing over to a digital licence

Victorian Minister for Government Services, Gabrielle Williams, acknowledged the public's demand for such a service, saying, 'Victorians have been asking us for a digital driver licence.' This is the time I've heard of it? as a matter of interest when will they be bringing in DIGITAL POLITICIANS and that oxymoron CIVIL SERVANTS.

• Haha
What if you don't have a smart phone? It's a costly imposition if you now need to get one. And I often forget my phone when driving. What happens if I'm stopped? This is yet another insufferable shifting of cost to the user.
I agree with you, I will never own a smart phone I am 90 years young and have no idea what apps are about. And when they say it's not compulsory give them time it will be. Just like the cashless society they want to foist on us.

• Love
Reactions: SandyM and Ingot
For anyone wanting to hide their driving record or other police status, they won't apply even if young!

Ah well, the various governments are just setting up another avenue for hackers and scammers to attack us through. Might start looking for somewhere to live 'off the grid'.

Reactions: SandyM
What if you don't have a smart phone? It's a costly imposition if you now need to get one. And I often forget my phone when driving. What happens if I'm stopped? This is yet another insufferable shifting of cost to the user.
You will still be able to use your original card licence

the only people it will benefit are those that actively scam and those that want complete control over us, this idiot is aligned with the WHO, WEF etc, she will benefit from this financially

I agree with you, I will never own a smart phone I am 90 years young and have no idea what apps are about. And when they say it's not compulsory give them time it will be. Just like the cashless society they want to foist on us.
Maybe you should move with the times, a few years ago I just had a flip phone but changed to a Smart phone and now I just can't live without it. You are obviously smart enough to use the internet so back down and give it a try and you will not regret it.