Driving shift: Millions of state’s motorists gear up for major licence change

In a digital age where convenience is king, Australians are witnessing a significant shift in how they carry out everyday activities, including driving.

One state is set to join the ranks of the others by officially allowing over four million motorists a new option for their driver's licence.

From May, Victoria's Minister for Roads, Melissa Horne, announced that the option to use a digital version of driver's licence will be rolled out statewide, signalling a new era of digital integration for road users.

This move, which has been successfully trialled for six months in Ballarat with 15,000 participants, is a game-changer for drivers who are accustomed to the traditional plastic card.

The change will be beneficial for more than 4.5 million fully licensed eligible drivers.

compressed-shutterstock_1010088844.jpeg
Victoria announced the option to use a digital version of driver’s licence for more than 4.5 million eligible drivers starting May 2024. Credits: Shutterstock

The digital licence isn't just a static image; it's a dynamic, real-time reflection of the driver's status, indicating clearly if the licence has been revoked or suspended.

This innovative feature will ensure that the information is always up-to-date, providing peace of mind for both the licence holder and those who need to verify its authenticity, such as police and businesses.

Verification will be made secure and straightforward through the use of a timed QR code, which can be scanned to confirm the licence's validity.

The convenience of having a digital driver's licence extends beyond just driving as it can also be used as proof of identity starting this month, streamlining processes that require photo identification.

As we approach the official change, consultations with key stakeholders, including bars, restaurants, retailers, and law enforcement, will intensify to ensure a smooth transition.

'Our digital driver licences will make it easier for Victorians when they go about their day-to-day lives—whether that's driving around, renting a car, collecting a parcel or visiting a licensed venue,' Ms Horne stated, highlighting the practical benefits of this technological advancement.

The digital trend is not new to Australia, with Queensland, South Australia, and New South Wales already embracing digital IDs.

South Australia was the pioneer, launching its digital licences in 2017, with NSW following suit two years later.

Queenslanders, despite a minor glitch delaying the rollout, have been able to use digital ID cards since November 2023.

Victorian Minister for Government Services, Gabrielle Williams, acknowledged the public's demand for such a service, saying, 'Victorians have been asking us for a digital driver licence.'

‘From next month, millions of Victorians can access them on their phones, alongside other government-issued cards like a Working with Children Check, seniors card or fishing licence.’

For those who have already downloaded the myVicRoads or Services Victoria app, the transition will be seamless.

The digital licence will automatically appear in the app once processed in May, and any updates to licence conditions or personal details, such as home addresses, will be reflected real-time.
Key Takeaways

• Victorians will be able to use a digital version of their driver's licence, with more than 4.5 million fully licensed drivers eligible for the change initially.
  • The digital licence, which can be stored in the Service Victoria or myVicRoads app, will show real-time status updates and can be verified with a timed QR code.
  • The initiative followed a successful six-month trial in Ballarat and the move by several other Australian states to digital driver's licences.
  • The digital licence will be rolled out statewide starting May 2024, with consultation with relevant organisations occurring throughout April.
Have you made the switch to a digital licence yet, or are you planning to? What are your concerns or expectations? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
"For those who have already downloaded the myVicRoads or Services Victoria app, the transition will be seamless."

Took them more than a month & several online & phone contacts to get my Seniors Card & WWCC to show, & I already had the app (in fact at their advice, updated & reloaded the app which still didn't help initially). Not useless, but not even close to seamless, despite the political rhetoric.

It's a VICTORIAN story, nothing to do with Sth Aust. But, it will eventually happen there. (like everything in SA 5yrs later).
In defence of Greatgwr, the article did mention Sth Aust.

This from the article......
"The digital trend is not new to Australia, with Queensland, South Australia, and New South Wales already embracing digital IDs.

South Australia was the pioneer, launching its digital licences in 2017, with NSW following suit two years later."

Indeed, SA was first with the opt in!

Probably risky to mention the 'Specsavers' bit. :geek:

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM and Ingot
This might be new for Victoria, but in NSW I've had my license in my Services NSW app on my phone for 5 years along with my Seniors Card. I've also always got the physical cards with me as well.

Every card I've got in my wallet I've also got digitally on my phone.

As the article says "convenience is king,"😁

I don't want one. It's just another way for hackers to get all your information and the government to know where you've been and what your doing. I will fight not to have mine digital all the way and I bet it will be more expensive to boot. The government isn't working for us at all, when will people wake up.
These conspiracy theories are always amusing.😁

I don't think the Government will be very interested that I've been shopping at Woolworths, or gone for a walk at the beach?😂😂

I don't want one. It's just another way for hackers to get all your information and the government to know where you've been and what your doing. I will fight not to have mine digital all the way and I bet it will be more expensive to boot. The government isn't working for us at all, when will people wake up.
getting ready for the 15min cities..there is NO WAY I would get one! hackers hack, great way to loose everything..phone coverage is horrible anyway...govt def ISN'T looking after us...

I hope it never becomes compulsory as I usually forget to take my phone with me when I go out. It's a phone - not a filing cabinet. I have no idea how to add an app & don't want to know. I have a basic phone so that probably wouldn't work anyway as most of these apps need a very expensive phone to make them available. I'll keep my plastic licence thank you. It is always in my purse & that always goes with me when I go out.

Another opening for scammers and information thieves has been created.

And if anyone expects me to go and buy a mobile phone for the government's or barrista's convenience, F*** off.

Ask Mr Xi about that and about your "social credit". My father volunteered to spend a good number of years fighting fascism/nazism, as did many others.

Lest we forget, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandyM
So you read the article. Including the opt in portion. It's not compulsory. You'll still have a licence to show.
Yes that’s today think back to this, in 5 years time, when it’s compulsory and your fine turns up, don’t forget to swallow your pride and say I didn’t see that coming, and how right they were Back then.

Reactions: Rob44
Yes that’s today think back to this, in 5 years time, when it’s compulsory and your fine turns up, don’t forget to swallow your pride and say I didn’t see that coming, and how right they were Back then.
Now about Bob Hawke's ID card......... of just under 40 years ago. He must be laughing in his grave.

No, this is something that I have not asked for and none of my friends have said they wanted it either.

So now instead of simply looking at a physical picture license and saying yes, that’s you, one will also need to verify the validity of the digital image through the QR process, hello internet coverage issues…..

lol, something else for hackers and scammers to play with…
No I am 71 I will not be using it not attached to my phone don’t have my cards ect on phone