Drivers face $658 penalties as new innovative detection technology goes live

A new wave of technology is being rolled out to ensure driver safety, but it could also hurt your wallet if you're not careful.

Advanced systems like motion phone detection cameras and automated traffic enforcement monitor our roads more closely than ever.

These innovations aim to reduce distractions and enhance compliance with traffic laws, ultimately creating safer driving environments.

In South Australia, a new set of eyes is watching from above, and they're not the forgiving kind.

Mobile phone detection cameras, which have been testing since June, are now fully operational and ready to issue hefty fines to those caught using their phones while driving.

1726715195530.png
New mobile phone detection cameras in South Australia issued $658 fines for drivers using their phones. Credit: Shutterstock

The cameras, which have been discreetly installed in various locations, including Torrensville, Darlington, Regency Park, Gapps Cross, and Hindmarsh, are part of a significant push to curb the dangerous habit of using mobile phones while driving.

During the trial phase, drivers caught by these cameras were sent warning letters, but the consequences will be much more severe from now on.

If you're caught using your mobile phone while driving, you'll face a substantial $658 fine, including a $102 levy to support South Australia’s Victims of Crime program.

This is no small sum, especially for those with fixed incomes or who manage tight budgets. Moreover, the fine comes with a penalty of three demerit points, which could lead to losing your driving licence.

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens has clarified that there will be no apologies for those who lose their licences due to demerit points.

‘We make no apologies if someone loses their licence through demerit points.’ he said.

In just two months, the cameras recorded over 71,000 instances of mobile phone use—roughly one in every 100 cars.

‘The rate at which these cameras are catching distracted drivers is frankly alarming,’ South Australian Police Superintendent Darren Fielke commented.

‘The cameras are showing us a distracted driver every two minutes, which indicates a grave issue on our roads.’

Distraction contributes to up to 30 per cent of all serious car accidents.

Last year, South Australia experienced its deadliest period on the roads in recent history, with a 61.4 per cent increase in fatalities compared to the previous year.

It's important to remember that it's illegal to use a mobile phone while operating a vehicle unless it's through a Bluetooth headset, headphones, or in-car audio.

‘It is an offence to create, send or look at a text, video message or email on a mobile phone while driving, even if the phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle,’ SA Police noted.

The technology behind these cameras is quite advanced. Mounted in elevated positions, they peer down through windscreens, capturing images of drivers in the act.

Artificial intelligence then sifts through these images, and any potential offences are reviewed by authorised personnel.

New South Wales was the pioneer in this technology, with their program becoming fully operational in March 2020.

Since then, they've conducted 135 million checks annually, and the fines there are just as steep, with additional demerit points during double demerit periods.

‘Drivers caught by a mobile phone detection camera in NSW will be fined $387, or $514 if detected in a school zone, and receive five demerit points,’ the NRMA exclaimed.

‘This will double to 10 demerit points during double demerit periods.’

Mobile phone detection cameras are not deployed in Western Australia or the Northern Territory.

These cameras also monitor drivers and front-seat passengers in certain areas to ensure they wear seatbelts.
Key Takeaways
  • New mobile phone detection cameras in South Australia started issuing $658 fines for drivers caught using their phones while driving.
  • During a three-month trial period, over 71,000 instances of mobile phone use were recorded, and if real fines had been issued, the total value would have surpassed $45 million.
  • Drivers caught using mobile phones will also incur three demerit points, and repeat offenders were sent multiple warning letters during the trial.
  • The use of the cameras aims to reduce the number of fatalities and injuries on the road, following a year that marked a 61.4 per cent increase in road deaths in South Australia.
Have you had any experiences with these new mobile phone detection cameras? Do you have some tips on how to avoid the temptation of using your phone while driving? Share your thoughts and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
If drivers are caught using a Mobile phone in the manner described above they deserve to be fined.

These warnings have been on going for several years now & apparently the previous penalties have not proven to be a deterrent. Using a phone while driving has proven to be a distraction & stats show accidents can occur in these situations. I would be interested to also see stats for NEAR MISSES while driving using a mobile phone. I would suggest these could outnumber recorded accidents in the same situation.

The article should have stated that, Mobile phone detection cameras.............. in Western Australia or the Northern Territory YET, though l thought these had been trialed in W.A.

Years ago l queried with the St Johns Ambulance Service why one of their drivers was using a hand held mobile phone as he pulled up in front of the Royal Perth Hospital & included the registration # of the Ambulance, but received no reply. He had a patient on board & may not have been travelling very fast, but this action still contravened the law then.

Why don't authorities pass a law to make the use of a two-way hand piece illegal too? This requires removing one hand from the steering wheel, possibly taking vision off the road as a driver reaches over to the handpiece & then continuing to drive with this in one hand.

This law would also affect a lone Police Officer in a Police vehicle too, or would it? Emergency Services?

Reactions: petermc
I refuse to answer calls while driving. If it is urgent they'll leave a message. I'll read it at a time that best suits me. Eg, at home, at the garage, at shopping centres .

Reactions: Abby2
My brother in law just got caught in Qld with his mobile phone on his lap, $1209! And 4 demerit points.

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
First thing to do when you get into your car put your phone in the passenger glove box, I think you mean Gepps Cross not Gapps.

Years ago l queried with the St Johns Ambulance Service why one of their drivers was using a hand held mobile phone as he pulled up in front of the Royal Perth Hospital & included the registration # of the Ambulance, but received no reply. He had a patient on board & may not have been travelling very fast, but this action still contravened the law then.

Why don't authorities pass a law to make the use of a two-way hand piece illegal too? This requires removing one hand from the steering wheel, possibly taking vision off the road as a driver reaches over to the handpiece & then continuing to drive with this in one hand.

This law would also affect a lone Police Officer in a Police vehicle too, or would it? Emergency Services?
Normally the use of two-way hand pieces are used to help other drivers to let them know of traffic problem, clear to pass, and the list could go on and on.
taking one hand off the wheel to answer, is neither here or their, people take one hand off to scratch them self, rest the hand and arm and many other things.
That does not mean it’s dangerous , I have a brother with one arm, he is still allowed to drive legall.

Reactions: Greg350 and DLHM

Police are exempt!!!! One rule for us and one for them.

Simple put your phone on silent while driving or put it in the glove box, hand bag anywhere it's not tempting. Once upon a time we left our homes work places what ever, and would not have known if anyone had rang the home phone. In one respect the mobile phone is a blessing. In case of an accident for safety, then in another way it's has made people extremely rude to be around. People yelling into their phones while chatting in public or going through the registers at shops talking on phone lined up in the few banks that are left sitting with family and friends who have the phone in front of them while hanging out with you, or the best one their phones ring and they are tripping over themselves to answer them then walk outside no excuse me nothing.
Mid sentence. When l am walking and l run into anyone if my phone rings. They look at me like well you better get that. I say. Don't worry about the phone l am talking to you. They look at me so surprised.
If my phone dings and dongs rings while l have visitors or am visiting l ignore it. If it is urgent they will keep ringing straight away. Then l would excuse myself to answer it. It seems to me people think they are so important now they have to answer every ding dong call no matter what the situation.
I find it is very sad. The art of sitting relaxing and chatting has gone now.
It is such a dangerous distraction while driving.
Just my thoughts.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Police are exempt!!!! One rule for us and one for them.
NSW Police have confirmed officers are exempt under Rule 305 of the Road Rules.

“Police officers may need to receive information about a job over their mobile phones for operational reasons, just as they might need to increase their speed to get to jobs without activating warning devices,” a police spokeswoman said.

“They are also rigorously checked against our Safe Driver Policy.”

And if it's the Highway Patrol doing it, they're very highly trained.

A minor correction to your report. You said the cameras are at "Torrensville, Darlington, Regency Park, Gapps Cross, and Hindmarsh." It is the Gepps Cross intersection.

Half these young drivers couldn't hear anyway they have their radios blaring to the max
Remember when teenagers walked around with Boom Boxes on a shoulder at maximum volume? My primary school teacher many years ago said these people suffered from 'Transistor ear'. These actions made them as 'deaf as a post', as we used to say.