Drivers beware: Speeding could cost you way more in this state starting July!

As motorists hit the road, the issue of speeding continues to be a significant concern for road safety authorities.

The allure of speed can sometimes lead to dangerous consequences, posing risks not only to drivers themselves, but also to other road users.

The sunny roads of Australia might seem inviting for a leisurely drive or a quick dash to get to your destination faster, but for lead-footed drivers in one state, there's an imminent sting in the tail.

Starting July 1, Queensland will enforce an uptick of more than four per cent in penalties for traffic infringements.

This decision to raise the stakes came with a stern reminder from Queensland Treasurer Cameron Dick, 'We need to ensure the deterrent effect of penalties and fines remains current, and people who break the law do not get a free ride.’

compressed-josh-withers-0wd6hJR6vvI-unsplash.jpeg
Starting July 1, penalties for traffic infringements in Queensland will be increased by more than 4 per cent. Credits: Unsplash

Getting caught driving less than 11 kilometres per hour over the limit will now fetch a fine of $322.

Moreover, if your mobile phone becomes a road distraction, the penalty will set you back more than $1,200.

Motorists exceeding the speed limit by more than 40 kilometres per hour can expect a fine that edges close to the $1900 mark.

However, for those familiar with adjusting their budget around yearly car-related expenses, there's a silver lining of sorts—vehicle registration renewals will not experience a hike this year.

Treasurer Dick's advice is simple: 'The simplest and easy way for someone not to pay a fine, indexed or otherwise, is to obey the law.'

The increased fines also set the stage for the ongoing debate about Queensland’s collection of road revenue, with Deputy Opposition Leader Jarrod Bleijie pointing out recent controversies.

'We've seen the botched rollout of the seatbelt camera detection system where the government has issued fines where fines shouldn't have been issued,' Bleijie commented.

‘What Queenslanders want to know is whether those fees and charges are going back to road safety and maintenance of road programs.’

This brings to light concerns over the fairness and reliability of the state's road revenue collection system.

Underpinning these significant penalties is the state's dependency on the revenue generated from fines for its treasury.

The anticipated revenue from speeding fines alone is estimated to exceed $850 million in the next fiscal year.

Authorities have long been cracking down on traffic violators.

In October, they were also investigating another scheme that’s been going around in social media regarding the sale of demerit points for cash.

Key Takeaways
  • Queensland's government announced that fines for road infringements will increase by more than 4 per cent starting July 1.
  • The treasurer emphasised the need to maintain the deterrent effect of penalties to prevent people from breaking the law.
  • The cost for minor speeding offences will rise to $322, being caught using a phone while driving will exceed $1,200, and major speeding offences will be almost $1,900.
  • Despite the increase in traffic infringements, Queensland’s deputy opposition leader expressed concerns about how the road revenue is managed and used for road safety and maintenance programs.

What do you think about this penalty increase? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy and nellyBell3
Sponsored
The fines are unpoliced traffic violations. Foolhardy and dangerous driving, weaving, lane sharing and lane changes without an indicated warning on our busy roads is not picked up if the driver doesn’t speed. It’s rafferty rules out there with an almost get out of my way or else attitude. That said, I start my long highway daily drive to work and do my best to “be nice”. We’re all in this together.
actually lane changing without indicators and faulty blinkers and tail lights dont really cut the mustard (revenue wise)whereas a few ks over the limit seat belt can get really big dollars, personally if a person doesn't wear a belt they could only kill, themselves...... big killer is the mobile phone, that deserves the death penalty...I do however think the fines are all about the money

It's all about revenue....if you want to stop offences...start cancelling licences...but then where will they get thier money from..if folk dont want to wear a belt then they could hurt themselves fatally ..but if they drive like a ratbag and want to endanger other law abiding drivers then by all means up the fines, and get them off the road ....but then I think its all about revenue isn't it?
So you want to cancel licences from the first offence? Wow, there would be a massive outcry about that. We have a points system, like many countries, gives you a few chances and if still offending THAT'S when the licence is lost.

If everyone drove within the law there would be far, far less collisions, in fact the only collisions would be medical issues and mechanical issues. Fact is humans cannot control themselves, SOME of them can't and those ones pay the price. It's very, very easy to not add to the revenue, abide by the laws.

11km per hour is 6 miles and 7 furlongs per hour, and the problem is to keep an eye on the speedometer and an eye on the road especially when driving a car with automatic gears and when going downhill, even for a very short stretch. It is all too easy to roll over the speed limit in cities and towns in that instance. What does one look for first; the car entering the roundabout from the right; the pedestrian walking a dog on an overlong lead; the small child about to run out in front of one from between parked SUVs; or the speedometer? A bit of common sense is lacking in QLD.

However, the floggings must continue whilst morale continues to improve.
Sounds like it's all too hard for you. Maybe time to stop driving.

What do you look for first? You look for everything, multitask and looking at the speedo is the easiest one, a glance, a fraction of a second to see your speed while you still have peripheral vision to the front.

FACT - over 99% of drivers passing a speed camera do not get a fine, that means less than one percent do. So that's a lot of drivers managing to drive within the limit and see all those things you struggle to see.

I wonder how long before the other states follow and up the fines. Some of them are ridiculous, it is easy to go over by a few ks if you are overtaking the idiot who drives like a snail until you try to overtake then speeds up, but if you aren’t successful overtaking then they slow back down again. I would like to have a cannon built into the front of my car that I can blast them off the road with. A bit of a close call with an 4wd bull bar is a good incentive for them to speed up or let you pass. Also if you are going downhill you have to wear your brakes out sometimes to keep below the speed limit. A bit of common sense on the behalf of the cops or speed camera car operators who send out the fines wouldn’t go astray. I guess someone has to pay for whichever party is in governments stuff ups. No, I don’t condone road rage, but some drivers can be oblivious to the fact other drivers use the roads too.

I must add that in over 50 years of driving I have only ever had one fine. That was when the speed limit in an area I hadn’t driven in for a few years had been changed from 80 to 60 halfway down a hill, right on a bend, so wasn’t visible until you were on top of it. I was going to my parents 40th wedding anniversary party and had the cake I had decorated on the back seat of the car. As I didn’t want to destroy it I was slowing down slowly instead of jumping on the brake. Mr policeman was waiting just around the bend pulling up cars and booking them. Another 4 people going to the party were booked also. Apparently the speed limit had been changed less than a week prior, so no doubt it was a revenue grab. I appealed to the infringement people and the fine was dropped. That was back in the day when this was possible.

I wonder how long before the other states follow and up the fines. Some of them are ridiculous, it is easy to go over by a few ks if you are overtaking the idiot who drives like a snail until you try to overtake then speeds up, but if you aren’t successful overtaking then they slow back down again. I would like to have a cannon built into the front of my car that I can blast them off the road with. A bit of a close call with an 4wd bull bar is a good incentive for them to speed up or let you pass. Also if you are going downhill you have to wear your brakes out sometimes to keep below the speed limit. A bit of common sense on the behalf of the cops or speed camera car operators who send out the fines wouldn’t go astray. I guess someone has to pay for whichever party is in governments stuff ups. No, I don’t condone road rage, but some drivers can be oblivious to the fact other drivers use the roads too.
You have to wear your brakes out? Oh no, what do you think they are for. Anyway ever heard of using gears to slow down?
Further, I didn't realise that going downhill was an exemption from the speed limit, I guess crashes don't happen at higher speeds downhill.

I must add that in over 50 years of driving I have only ever had one fine. That was when the speed limit in an area I hadn’t driven in for a few years had been changed from 80 to 60 halfway down a hill, right on a bend, so wasn’t visible until you were on top of it. I was going to my parents 40th wedding anniversary party and had the cake I had decorated on the back seat of the car. As I didn’t want to destroy it I was slowing down slowly instead of jumping on the brake. Mr policeman was waiting just around the bend pulling up cars and booking them. Another 4 people going to the party were booked also. Apparently the speed limit had been changed less than a week prior, so no doubt it was a revenue grab. I appealed to the infringement people and the fine was dropped. That was back in the day when this was possible.
Half way down a hill, around a bend, cool story.
The excuses you people come up with are insane, just drive within the law, millions manage everday.

The government knows charging more in fines doesn't work, take their licence that works, but no, it's about getting more money, truly, when you take them to court they add 10% for victims of crime compensation and its so hard to win even if you're right, it is truly about stealing money. Our government sucks the big one, we are but cash cows for their fukn bs pensions for life and they've done nothing to earn it, get to know your local members personally, maybe 5% are worth their salt, the rest are bludging grubs.

Car rego's are way too expensive already a reduction of 25% plus free rego for pensioners as NSW has it, CTP needs to be reviewed the insurance companies are ripping the motorists off

The increase, 4% , does seem a bit excessive.

WILL PENALTY POINTS REMAIN THE SAME?

Hope W.A. doesn't impose such penalties.

Fortunately l have never been fined.

i can,t get over all the angry fellow motorists these days,it,s unreal.They should take a chill pill and calm down.