Drivers beware: Speeding could cost you way more in this state starting July!

As motorists hit the road, the issue of speeding continues to be a significant concern for road safety authorities.

The allure of speed can sometimes lead to dangerous consequences, posing risks not only to drivers themselves, but also to other road users.

The sunny roads of Australia might seem inviting for a leisurely drive or a quick dash to get to your destination faster, but for lead-footed drivers in one state, there's an imminent sting in the tail.

Starting July 1, Queensland will enforce an uptick of more than four per cent in penalties for traffic infringements.

This decision to raise the stakes came with a stern reminder from Queensland Treasurer Cameron Dick, 'We need to ensure the deterrent effect of penalties and fines remains current, and people who break the law do not get a free ride.’

compressed-josh-withers-0wd6hJR6vvI-unsplash.jpeg
Starting July 1, penalties for traffic infringements in Queensland will be increased by more than 4 per cent. Credits: Unsplash

Getting caught driving less than 11 kilometres per hour over the limit will now fetch a fine of $322.

Moreover, if your mobile phone becomes a road distraction, the penalty will set you back more than $1,200.

Motorists exceeding the speed limit by more than 40 kilometres per hour can expect a fine that edges close to the $1900 mark.

However, for those familiar with adjusting their budget around yearly car-related expenses, there's a silver lining of sorts—vehicle registration renewals will not experience a hike this year.

Treasurer Dick's advice is simple: 'The simplest and easy way for someone not to pay a fine, indexed or otherwise, is to obey the law.'

The increased fines also set the stage for the ongoing debate about Queensland’s collection of road revenue, with Deputy Opposition Leader Jarrod Bleijie pointing out recent controversies.

'We've seen the botched rollout of the seatbelt camera detection system where the government has issued fines where fines shouldn't have been issued,' Bleijie commented.

‘What Queenslanders want to know is whether those fees and charges are going back to road safety and maintenance of road programs.’

This brings to light concerns over the fairness and reliability of the state's road revenue collection system.

Underpinning these significant penalties is the state's dependency on the revenue generated from fines for its treasury.

The anticipated revenue from speeding fines alone is estimated to exceed $850 million in the next fiscal year.

Authorities have long been cracking down on traffic violators.

In October, they were also investigating another scheme that’s been going around in social media regarding the sale of demerit points for cash.

Key Takeaways
  • Queensland's government announced that fines for road infringements will increase by more than 4 per cent starting July 1.
  • The treasurer emphasised the need to maintain the deterrent effect of penalties to prevent people from breaking the law.
  • The cost for minor speeding offences will rise to $322, being caught using a phone while driving will exceed $1,200, and major speeding offences will be almost $1,900.
  • Despite the increase in traffic infringements, Queensland’s deputy opposition leader expressed concerns about how the road revenue is managed and used for road safety and maintenance programs.

What do you think about this penalty increase? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy and nellyBell3
Sponsored
The fines are unpoliced traffic violations. Foolhardy and dangerous driving, weaving, lane sharing and lane changes without an indicated warning on our busy roads is not picked up if the driver doesn’t speed. It’s rafferty rules out there with an almost get out of my way or else attitude. That said, I start my long highway daily drive to work and do my best to “be nice”. We’re all in this together.

Qld needs to pay for the back slapping event of the olympic games somehow. Going to be 1 hell of a drain on their state funds in the lead up to what seems to be an ever increasing cost. Don't see where the state opposition spokesperson said they'd reverse or change the increase but found the need to make a comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeahI and elaine41
I drive using cruise control every where in town or on open road can't possibly speed that way

I drive using cruise control every where in town or on open road can't possibly speed that way
That possibly depends where you live, in Vic the speed goes up and down within a couple of hundred metres. Can be 60, then 40 then 70, so cruise control only effective in constant speed zones. These speed zones are set by a 'road safety' committee (not the govt) usually because some entitled idiot thinks it's ok to do 80 in residential areas or high foot traffic areas around parks and gardens etc.

Reactions: maherdj and Mika
Under 11 ks over the limit, that fine is a bit steep. Otherwise fair enough! I wish they would reduce the speed limit in our rural living estate. Houses every 100-200 meters or so, narrow roads and pedestrians, cyclists, families and dog walkers out all the time yet the speed limit is 80. so many speed limits just don’t make sense.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
11km per hour is 6 miles and 7 furlongs per hour, and the problem is to keep an eye on the speedometer and an eye on the road especially when driving a car with automatic gears and when going downhill, even for a very short stretch. It is all too easy to roll over the speed limit in cities and towns in that instance. What does one look for first; the car entering the roundabout from the right; the pedestrian walking a dog on an overlong lead; the small child about to run out in front of one from between parked SUVs; or the speedometer? A bit of common sense is lacking in QLD.

However, the floggings must continue whilst morale continues to improve.

Doesn't worry me, drivers choice if they want to pay these "Stupid Taxes", that is a tax for stupid people who can't control their vehicle.
Says the guy who next week inadvertently gets a traffic fine.
Actually you can. Keep an eye on the Speedo it does goes over the allotted speed. Only by a km or 2, but that might be all it takes for a fine nowadays. At least before with police controlled speed detection you may have gotten away with a few KMs leeway.

Reactions: maherdj and Gsr
My personal gripe is about the fact that one is not allowed to exceed the speed limit when overtaking another vehicle, and I'm talking about the open road specifically.

We all know the scenario: The vehicle ahead of you is about 5 to 10 km below the speed limit and slows down even further on every little hill. or with each approaching bend. If you stick to the speed limit when overtaking this vehicle, it is impossible to pass it in a safe way unless you're driving in the middle of nowhere where the road is straight for a very long stretch. And, needless to say, as soon as the driver realises that you're overtaking, they will wake up and accelerate.

Needless to say, this kind of driver will also accelerate as soon as they get to the overtaking lane...

I agree, it is each driver's right to drive below the speed limit if they so wish, but surely I'm allowed to overtake as quickly and safely as possible!

It's all about revenue....if you want to stop offences...start cancelling licences...but then where will they get thier money from..if folk dont want to wear a belt then they could hurt themselves fatally ..but if they drive like a ratbag and want to endanger other law abiding drivers then by all means up the fines, and get them off the road ....but then I think its all about revenue isn't it?